Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
SoulRipperAdri
A Big Child

Question Painting Fabric

So I'm working on two cosplays of Dave Strider and Jade Harley from Homestuck in Vocaloid Matryoshka outfits for a Con in November. The jackets are essentially one of the main pieces of the cosplays and I've already ordered the base for them off Amazon: (This is the one for Dave, the Jade one is the same but green) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JU...rch&th=1&psc=1
The jackets needs various little parts of it to be black like a strip on top of the shoulders, the bottom, and the ends of the sleeves. On the side of the hoods, I have to do a half of a face on each side parts of which will include white and the back will also have a white-on-black design.
The thing is that I have no clue how to do this and make it look good while lasting. Can anyone suggest a type of paint and/or painting method you've used in the past that worked?
SoulRipperAdri is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Penlowe

Without a link to the characters/ actual costume looks you want to achieve, your questions are too broad.
So, broad answers for broad questions.
1. Use fabric paint. There's cheap stuff and good stuff, it really depends on your budget. But enough to practice as well as going the project.
2. Practice, practice, practice. To elaborate on this: get a thrift store hoodie of the same weight and test all the techniques you think you can do well on it.
3. Techniques: try them all. Just because I'm good at free hand brush painting doesn't mean you will be. You have to find or develop your own skill set.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

"Look good while lasting" use actual quality fabric paint. Jacquard's Neopaque paints are expensive but worth it for getting white paint on black with only two coats. Don't assume the paint has failed you if the first coat isn't enough, I've seen a lot of people "quit" and badmouth fabric paint because it isn't one-coat perfect. Newsflash, no paint is one-coat perfect and if you're buying more paints because you didn't like the first one, you've already wasted your time and money.

But really technique-wise there's no one foolproof way. Penlowe's right, it's ALL about your actual skill set. Some people (like me) free-hand with no mistakes like we were born with it. Other people need stencils.

At the same time, don't count out other methods. Iron-on transfers, sewing on stripes, etc. They are permanent and there are no variations in colors from painting. Not to say painting is bad, I love fabric paint and have at least a dozen t-shirts I've painted myself above and beyond cosplay, but I also choose not to paint when it's something so simple as a stripe of bias tape being sewn down a sleeve.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote