Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 09-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Kagamine_Kai

Question for Swan Princess Cosplay

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would have an suggestions of how to accomplish recreating the "fake" Odette in "Swan Princess"? This is the one wearing the black with a red neckline dress.

Here is a link to the picture of what the dress looks like. I've seen some other ladies create an amazing job of them on Instagram, but would have no idea where to even start!

What would you all suggest? I'm trying to look into sewing, since I buy most of my cosplays but obviously you can't buy all of them!
Okama Con

Cosplays I'd Like To Do
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Corrin (Fire Emblem Fates)
Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon)
Cinderella's Pink Dress (Cinderella)
Azura (Fire Emblem Fates)

Current Cosplay List
Fleur De La Cour (Harry Potter)
Queen Ravenna (Snow White & The Huntsman)

Past Cosplay List
Ella (Cinderella 2015)
Anastasia
Odette (Swan Princess)
Lili (Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection)
Kagamine_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
lunaflora

I would start off with a pattern for a off-the-shoulder dress pattern with sleeves. the red contrast can come later, and you're most likely going to have to figure that out yourself. I can't seem to find a dress pattern that is similar to this (granted I've only done a few seconds of googling for this), the most similar I could find is Simplicity Pattern 8329 Misses' Dress with Fabric and Sleeve Variations. You'd have to add sleeves and change the neckline and skirt sillhouette though. It really depends on what your skill level is and whether you know how to do pattern drafting and alterations.

On second thought, you might be able to just take a strapless sweetheart dress pattern and add sleeves to that, if you want a simpler way to do it. However, I'd be concerned with arm movement. You might want to raise the neckline at the side to the cross front and cross back line so you can put in an armhole curve so you can sew in the sleeve.

Last edited by lunaflora : 09-12-2017 at 07:47 PM.
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
Kagamine_Kai

Thank you LunaFlora!

This is excellent advice. You wouldn't happen to be able to recommend a pattern for the red area would you? It looks like it's pleated in a way? I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but I've noticed it may also be easier for me to purchase a black off the shoulder maxi dress but then sewing that part in and gluing the blue gem.

What do you think?
Okama Con

Cosplays I'd Like To Do
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

Current Cosplay List

Past Cosplay List
Ella (Cinderella 2015)
Anastasia
Odette (Swan Princess)
Unread 09-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
lunaflora

That might be the easiest most efficient way, yeah. I was going to suggest it too, but I kept seeing the dresses that have the same sleeves and sillhouette were around $700. ha! For the bertha, I think you're on your own with that one.. You're probably going to have to drape it on a dressform or yourself. or do some patternmaking.

EDIT: The following is theoretical with a bit of tips and tricks mixed in there! You're going to have to experiment with it to see if it works! When you make the sleeve...thing.
It looks like it's how the wings of a bow are, so you could gather it or pleat it to get the fullness. However, I don't see gathering or pleats. You might be better off leaving it flat. I think it might be good if you made the parts that go over the arm out of a sturdy fabric (maybe even a canvas) in the shape you wanted, then take some gathered tulle and sort of lightly "pad" the top and bottom so that it's a bit puffy as in the pictures. Not too much, you want it to look natural and effortless, and not like you have tulle in there supporting it. Then I would take the red fabric you're using and lay it over top and check to see if it is how you like it. Stitch it on when you get it to how you want. and attach it to the dress.
Also you might want to add a elastic along the upper edge of the off-the-shoulder part. This will keep the sleeve from drooping down and collapsing, keeping it in place.

Last edited by lunaflora : 09-17-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Unread 09-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Kagamine_Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaflora View Post
That might be the easiest most efficient way, yeah. I was going to suggest it too, but I kept seeing the dresses that have the same sleeves and sillhouette were around $700. ha! For the bertha, I think you're on your own with that one.. You're probably going to have to drape it on a dressform or yourself. or do some patternmaking.

EDIT: The following is theoretical with a bit of tips and tricks mixed in there! You're going to have to experiment with it to see if it works! When you make the sleeve...thing.
It looks like it's how the wings of a bow are, so you could gather it or pleat it to get the fullness. However, I don't see gathering or pleats. You might be better off leaving it flat. I think it might be good if you made the parts that go over the arm out of a sturdy fabric (maybe even a canvas) in the shape you wanted, then take some gathered tulle and sort of lightly "pad" the top and bottom so that it's a bit puffy as in the pictures. Not too much, you want it to look natural and effortless, and not like you have tulle in there supporting it. Then I would take the red fabric you're using and lay it over top and check to see if it is how you like it. Stitch it on when you get it to how you want. and attach it to the dress.
Also you might want to add a elastic along the upper edge of the off-the-shoulder part. This will keep the sleeve from drooping down and collapsing, keeping it in place.

Hmm sounds like I need to plan a trip to my local Joanne's! That does sound like a very good idea, I've just never done that before so I'll do some more research for how I can do it. I've seen some other cosplays do this dress before (see here) and it looks like they choose velour (or velvet)? Do you think that would work as well?

Sorry, total noobie here when it comes to sewing and patterns.

I do appreciate all of your ideas!
Okama Con

Cosplays I'd Like To Do
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

Current Cosplay List

Past Cosplay List
Ella (Cinderella 2015)
Anastasia
Odette (Swan Princess)
Unread 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

Looks like that cosplayer used stretch velvet, however stretch fabrics and velvet are not the easiest fabrics to work with.

Here's a few patterns that could work as a starting point
http://www.simplicity.com/simplicity...ons/S8329.html
https://butterick.mccall.com/b4131
https://butterick.mccall.com/b4731
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Kagamine_Kai

Thank you Digit and Lunaflora!
Okama Con

Cosplays I'd Like To Do
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

Current Cosplay List

Past Cosplay List
Ella (Cinderella 2015)
Anastasia
Odette (Swan Princess)
Unread 09-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
lunaflora

If you're a beginner, then just ignore what I suggested. It's a bit more advanced than what you should start out with. Stretch velvet will allow your arm to move more since it's stretchy, so I would recommend that. Off-the-shoulder garments are a bit more advanced in general.
Unread 09-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

Kwik sew is a good "easy" pattern company. These two could work again as a start. Just find a dress pattern you like and go with that. Practicing by doing a mockup in cotton would also help you learn any issues before using nicer fabric.
https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3516
https://kwiksew.mccall.com/k3736

I think a matte black satin would work well for this, and is easier to sew than stretch.
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote