Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
timepink
Trust me. I'm a Doctor.

I'm much more inclined to go to medium and large cons rather than a small con. The US idea of cons are different from my country's, but a few similar to the US ones have been popping up over the recent years. Small cons here are more anime focused and, while I like anime, most are very boring. The large and very large cons (like Comic Con Experience - 180 thousand people over 4 days) have very annoying lines that prevents most people of entering certain booths and panels if they don't want to spend the day in line, but it still have many things to do and you probably won't get to see everything. Medium sized cons can be more anime inclined or expo inclined. They usually don't have many lines, but there are also less things to do.
Donna with suit (Doctor Who)
10th (Doctor Who)

Completed:
Castiel and Impala (Supernatural)
TARDIS (3 versions - Doctor Who)
3rd, 9th, 11th, 12th, Martha and K-9 (Doctor Who)
Anna (Coronation dress - Frozen)
The Crow (a generic one)

Planned:
Regina (Once Upon A Time)
Osgood (scarf version - Doctor Who)
Chucky, the Killer Doll
timepink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2017, 01:58 AM   #17
loz64

A big part of whether I'll enjoy a con regardless of size is how well organized it is. In my experience, large cons that are poorly run are a real pain in the neck, so I try to avoid those, whereas I don't feel as badly about a small con that is disorganized because I am likely to have invested less for admission/hotel.

Overall I'm finding that lately I prefer the medium-sized cons, especially ones that have the perfect balance between having just enough events to participate in and not feeling too crowded with fights over space and hotel rooms.
Alice Elliott | Aqua | Impa (SS) | Princess Hilda | Rosalina | Pajama Link | Airy | Agitha | Lolita Spock | Lolita Uhura | Eureka | Riyo Chuchi | Belgemine | Anise Tatlin | Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors) | Master Eraqus | Lolita Mario

Visit my Facebook page for professional photos, progress photos, con reports, tutorials, and other fun stuff: https://www.facebook.com/MythrilArts
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #18
Respawning

I haven't been to enough cons to really know which I prefer. I guess my city's con, Calgary Expo, is fairly big (at least by Canadian standards), it's a 4 day con with over 100k people in attendance the past few years, but it is spread out through 2 large buildings and has the open grounds in between so if you want to escape the crowds you can. Personally, I don't mind crowds, I like the anonymity of them. I have gone to one other con outside my city, and would like to go to more but just don't get the chance. I keep meaning to check out some of the smaller ones that have popped up around southern Alberta, but am a bit of a chicken and don't want to go alone. I need to talk some of my friends into going with me, and if it's out of town then I need to sweet talk Nana and Papa to watch the littles.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #19
Moonsong
salt

my area is kind of a dead zone as far as conventions go. we only got our first dedicated comic convention at a convention center within the past 2 years. there is a small, general nerd/geekdom college con every year but its programming and management has worsened over the past 10 years to the point where i'm bored after being there for 2 hours, and with nothing interesting set for the schedule in the evening, i end up going home. their cosplay contest is kind of a joke because i have personally seen people wearing recognizably mass-produced costumes allowed into the contest. there's really no other small cons that are within reasonable driving distance.

i'd much rather put the extra effort into driving/flying/spending to go to a larger convention that is (generally) going to have far more events, panels, photo gatherings and guests - all things that i enjoy. that said, i finally hit up katsucon for the first time this year after hearing people rave about it for years and i, surprisingly, found myself pretty bored a lot of the time. if you weren't some kind of well-known cosplayer or wearing something that really stood out, no photographer wanted anything to do with you. there weren't really that many panels or guests, and the one attendee event i tried to go to was horribly disorganized and the host never showed up (not the con's fault but still.)

people die when they are kawaii
future cons: anime nyc '17 // AX '18

Last edited by Moonsong : 10-25-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: New Y
Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote