Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Bit of a conundrum with con's weapon policy

So the con's policy on weapons / weapon props,

Quote:
No real weapons or functioning projectile weapons – including guns, crossbows, swords, ninja stars, water pistols, silly-string guns, etc.
claims that "water pistols" aren't allowed.

The weapon prop I've got,

certainly is a functional water gun, as far as I can tell.

How exactly would I go about getting this into the convention? Obviously I'm not planning anything dastardly, but the weapons are a pretty big part of the cosplay, so I don't want to have to go without them.

It doesn't really look like a water gun, but one quick glance at the ends of them and you can see the little hole where the water squirts from, and there's a pretty clear trigger on them as well.

Would they allow it if I did something to disable its functionality as a water gun? Like taking off the water tanks (the big pink plastic thing on the end) ? I could even store them inside my ink canister, go through security, then put them back on the guns once I get into the con. Even if they said "hey that looks like a squirt gun", I could just point out that the water tanks are removed, so it can't shoot anything.

This is what it looks like with the tank removed: https://i.imgur.com/XFl6DFi.jpg I could easily just snip that bit of tubing off, since I don't plan on using it as a water gun anyway.

Perhaps that would work?

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 10-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.
NostalgiaShmltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Also, do you think they would take issue with the tip of it not being colored orange? It says that all "fake and prop" weapons must have orange tips. So does that mean ALL weapons, or just ones that are made to look like a real gun?

I've never done anything like this before so I'm highly inexperienced.
Unread 10-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaShmltz View Post
Would they allow it if I did something to disable its functionality as a water gun?

Also, do you think they would take issue with the tip of it not being colored orange?
Ultimately only the con can answer these questions. They should have an email you can contact (be it for questions or just all-purpose). Hit them up with your concerns and you should get a response.

Now I can say other cons I go to that ban working toy guns do allow them if they've been disabled, but you can't assume that will apply to all cons. Before you end up having to trash the toy to make it "legal", talk to them.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Yeah, I emailed them, just wanted to hear if anyone else had experience with this type of thing.

And cutting the tube is not really "trashing" it at all, literally all that would change is that it can't shoot water anymore. Which I wasn't planning to do in the first place. The appearance of the gun wouldn't change at all.

If I wasn't clear, it's this tube right here:

the one sticking out of the bottom right. It is normally concealed inside the pink water tank anyways. Snipping it with some scissors wouldn't change the appearance, it would only disable the water-shooting functionality.

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 10-04-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Unread 10-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Glue it so the trigger doesn't depress, and remove the tubs. Maybe even glue the area that holds the water on if you don't care about ever making it look like it's filled with ink. If the pieces don't move, it's very unlikely they would know it use to function as a water gun. Without the tube you can't even tell that there would have been a water gun like feature.

Though I will agree that the ONLY people who can tell you what is and isn't allowed, is the con themselves, not us, random people all over the world on the internet.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
Glue it so the trigger doesn't depress, and remove the tubs.
Not sure how to glue it like that, but yeah, removing the tank (the pink piece) was what I was planning on doing. At least, to get it past the weapon prop check.

Quote:
Maybe even glue the area that holds the water on if you don't care about ever making it look like it's filled with ink.
It's solid plastic, you can't see liquid through it. And I'd want to keep it removable to show that I cut off the plastic tubing inside, if anyone questions whether or not it can actually shoot water. Or if I need to clean it or something.

Quote:
If the pieces don't move, it's very unlikely they would know it use to function as a water gun. Without the tube you can't even tell that there would have been a water gun like feature.
Yeah, I'm just paranoid that it'll get rejected for some reason. It does have a little hole on the end of the...muzzle? Whatever it's called. So if one were to look closely at it, it wouldn't be hard to tell that something is supposed to shoot out of there.
Unread 10-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

It's still an extremely new game, and it's not as popular cosplay-wise, so it's not going to be very well known that this functional prop even exists. I'm a HUGE splatoon fan and I've never even seen that outside of this thread.

In order to glue the trigger to not be able to move, just take superglue, and put it in the areas where the trigger connects to the gun. So you see that little pink piece connecting the trigger to the handle? Where it meets the handle, glue there to it doesn't press in anymore, since that seems to be how you squirt the water out of the gun.

Don't remove the ink chamber altogether. Glue it in place. You don't need to prove you cut the tube. If the trigger can't be pulled, it can't shoot anyway right? So it doesn't even matter. Plus if the ink chamber is glued in place, you can't put water in it, therefore you still don't need to prove you cut the tube, because it can't be filled in the first place.

I wouldn't wory about the hole in the nozzle. If the parts that make it squirt water can't even function, then the hole is just a hole..
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Unread 10-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Quote:
It's still an extremely new game, and it's not as popular cosplay-wise, so it's not going to be very well known that this functional prop even exists. I'm a HUGE splatoon fan and I've never even seen that outside of this thread.
Because it's a Japan exclusive :P Had to order it off eBay. I believe it released back in June.

Quote:
In order to glue the trigger to not be able to move, just take superglue, and put it in the areas where the trigger connects to the gun. So you see that little pink piece connecting the trigger to the handle? Where it meets the handle, glue there to it doesn't press in anymore, since that seems to be how you squirt the water out of the gun.

Don't remove the ink chamber altogether. Glue it in place. You don't need to prove you cut the tube. If the trigger can't be pulled, it can't shoot anyway right? So it doesn't even matter. Plus if the ink chamber is glued in place, you can't put water in it, therefore you still don't need to prove you cut the tube, because it can't be filled in the first place.

I wouldn't wory about the hole in the nozzle. If the parts that make it squirt water can't even function, then the hole is just a hole..
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I'll just have to get some super glue.

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 10-05-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Unread 10-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Finally got a response from the con, they said that yes, as long as I 'disable' the gun, it should be fine.

Though they did say that it NEEDS to have an orange tip; how should I go about doing that? Tape, or some kind of plastic-friendly paint?
Unread 10-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
walkerofdarknes

When I had my Gundam at Metrocon this year, they had some rubber tape that was orange colored and wrapped it around the barrel themselves. If you can find some painter's/duct tape orange colored, that would work too.
walkerofdarknes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Mmhm, I'll likely just head on over to Lowe's and get some orange duct tape. Much easier than painting.

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 10-07-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Unread 10-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

I would try to find orange electrical tape, as it leaves less of a residue for whenever you want to take it off (private photoshoots, other cons that dont have those rules, what have you).
Though I find it silly that you still need to make the tip orange when it's already a bright safety color. But con rules are con rules, and if you want to bring your prop you've got to follow them.
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2017, 12:36 AM   #13
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Not exactly sure the orange tip is needed so much here. They clearly are suppose to resemble water guns, and look nothing like a real gun. The whole point of the orange tip is to distinguish the toy gun from a real gun..It's pretty absurd for anyone to mistake that for a real gun..

Reply back to the con, include the image, and explain that the tip is very different, and see what they say. They may say what I did, that it's too obviously not a real gun to ever be thought of as real, and with the way the tip looks, I don't see how you'd even do that without painting the entire front face of it.
\
Though, I have seen plenty of water guns with tips of varying colors. So it having a bright green nozzle and blue part in front, that could serve the same purpose as the blue or green ones on normal water guns.
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Unread 10-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Nooooope nope nope you should definitely, 100% do the orange tip. (I've done entire panels on proper weapons handling at cons; the orange tip is there for the safety of everybody else around you.)

The "safety orange" blocker is a clear indicator that no, this thing doesn't fire. That orange is the highest contrasting color out there to the general environmental colors, so it's super visible, even from afar. Makes people feel a lot safer that they're not going to get shot, with a real bullet or a nerf dart or water or goodness knows what else. If something's blocking the barrel, it's impossible to shoot anything out of it. Sure, that's more of a concern when you've got a prop that looks like a real gun that fires actual bullets as opposed to a water gun, but in theory leaving it without a tip gets into shady territory.

Let's say you skip the tip and just cut the tube. Sure, it doesn't fire, but that part's hidden-- you as the prop builder know it doesn't fire, but if I'm another random congoer walking by you, I have no idea whether you've tried to disable it or not. And therein lies the problem.

The other thing that got left out in this discussion is "non-removable" orange tip. That non-removable is generally the most important aspect. If you have an orange tip that you can suddenly take out and BAM, it now fires, you could do that at any time and now the people around you have no idea how to respond to that weapon now.

With your water gun, you can do this in a super sleek way, because your "barrel" for the water stream is a pretty tiny pinprick hole. You can just get a thin piece of cardboard, or thin plastic (like a bingo chip or cut up plastic bottle/jar piece), paint it orange, and hot glue it down. That shouldn't change the profile of your gun, and it's a small little piece that clearly shows you've blocked it up to security and passers by but is super easy to photoshop in photoshoot pics.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #15
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Yeah, the email that they sent me, they said that ANY weapon prop, no matter what it looks like, needs to have an orange tip. So I'm not gonna argue with that. I bought some bright orange duct tape and taped up the tips.

Not the most clean taping work, but it gets the job done. The tips are cone-shaped, so taping them is kinda awkward.

Instead of super glue, I used hot glue and just put a big glob of it between the trigger and the body, preventing the trigger from being squeezed.

The triggers barely budge at all, with the solidified hot glue in there.

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 10-08-2017 at 11:05 PM.