Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
nikkimel5

Should I take my unstyled wig to the jcp hair salon?

Hey! I received a wig that's unstyled and I don't know how to style wigs. I was thinking of bringing my wig to the jcp hair salon and bring this picture (notifying them how the wig should look: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....ddlvYHJvL.jpg). Is that a good idea?
nikkimel5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Your link doesn't work.
Anywho... I have no idea what that salon is, but here's some helpful advice in point form.
1- Lots of tutorials on how to style things here. Since I have no idea what you want your wig to look like, here's the whole page. https://www.arda-wigs.com/blogs/tuto...al-master-list
2- If that's way too intimidating and you're not up to the challenge, some salons can do wigs. BUT. Ask ahead! Not all stylists can do them. Wigs are not the same as human hair or the hair mannequins they use in beauty school. You may have better luck asking an actual wig shop, or asking at an ethnic hair salon since wig wearing and working with artificial hair and weaves/extensions is more common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Scunosi

Yeah just ask ahead to possibly save yourself a trip. A woman at my local Hair Masters said she'd style a wig for me but they have high turnover so I wouldn't assume anyone there now could still do it.

Also keep in mind if you're looking for a very "fake" or "anime" style (you know what I'm talking about) they may not be able to do it screen accurate. Some wigs are simply styled, others are "built," and for that you'll likely have to do it yourself or find someone who works specifically in cosplay commissions to do it for you.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Most places will not be able to do as well as another cosplayer, unfortunately. Due to exposure of turning an animated version into reality, we have a set of skills many hairdressers do not. Your best bet is to see if you can find a nearby cosplayer to style it for you.
Xe Yui/Lord Grim - The King's Avatar (Katsucon 2018)
All Might - My Hero Academia (Katsucon 2018)
Goku (Ultra Instinct) - Dragon Ball Super (Katsucon 2018)
Possibly? Male!Megumin - KonoSuba (Katsucon 2018)

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplayers Group (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Need a little length trimmed off? Sure. Want the bangs shortened up? Totally. Need to put a few curls in, or add layers? That's stuff a salon can do.

If you want spiky anime bangs, super crazy poof, any dye job, or things that just straight up don't work on certain wigs (like pigtails on non-pigtail wigs), then you're best off finding a cosplay commissioner.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

I'm pretty much echoing what everybody's saying here that they might be able to do minor styling but for major spiking, wefting etc. they probably might not be able to do.
Another option might be to bring it to a specialized wig salon, and see what they can do. Those places you can try because they work with extensions and actual wigs and the like so it couldn't hurt to look. There might be stores as well. I personally have seen salons for wigs at a flea market once.
I was looking for a wig for Hungary from Hetalia once when I was back in that fandom, and found a store that had a huge selection of wigs although I didn't find a wig that could work (considering that she just has normal, light brown hair).

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

(I got the img link to work, just remove the " ) " after the .jpg and it works. XD )

Anyway! Since the style is quite simple, they should be able to do it.

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

You can buy a cheap wig in that style and it'll take maybe 10 minutes to create the bangs, only because you have to wait for the hairspray to dry.
Xe Yui/Lord Grim - The King's Avatar (Katsucon 2018)
All Might - My Hero Academia (Katsucon 2018)
Goku (Ultra Instinct) - Dragon Ball Super (Katsucon 2018)
Possibly? Male!Megumin - KonoSuba (Katsucon 2018)

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplayers Group (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote