Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
Midnight Dawn

Keeping cool in a mascot.

As the title says it's about keeping cool while in a mascot outfit as I'm looking for suggestions in how.

My mascot is designed like Adam Savage Totoro. The internal structure is made like a cage crinoline giving me quite a bit of space to work with.

I would use cooling fans.

But i'm wondering if there are any other ways.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Penlowe

Fans are great.
Stay in the shade (away from sunny windows when indoors)
plan breaks out of the costume.
Stay hydrated.

Mascots are sweaty to wear, period, the key is to not give yourself heat stroke.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

Cooling vests are also popular, but a bit pricey to invest in.
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
xIkuna

Your basic cooling vest with space for ice works well, obviously the less clothes you wear under the suit the less hot you will be, take breaks- I work on a mascot team at my work, the rule is 45 minutes of walking in the suit, 30 minute break out of it. They're really generous with us, a lot of other places its anywhere around 45 and 15 etc. So just be mindful that a lot of activity in a suit will wear you out fast

Cosplays:
Young Ana Amari- Overwatch
Miu Iruma- New Danganronpa Version 3
Sansa Stark- Game of Thrones (Season 7)

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #5
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

if you want an alternative to a cooling vest, a hydration bladder
and excessive lenght of hose would work as well

gives you the advantage of water on hand, and circulation by drinking or bleeding the line

also remember heat rises, and ...hot and cold air chase eachother?, blow the warm air out the top
and cool air will try to suck in from gaps below

if your suit happens to be designed like a pinnata (fully enclosed with acess hatch)
youll have no choice but to suffer, or open the hatch and hang outside for a bit

disclaimer* im not an expert, i simply add in my "2 cents" having a second opinion is always a safe bet

Last edited by Dictamnus Albus : 11-06-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Scunosi

Besides what's been said already, create vents/openings where you can get away with it. Use mesh for eyes/mouth gaps or similar dark details, leave holes in ears that'll be covered with fluff anyway, whatever you can sneak in. But yeah ultimately with some outfits it's just about managing the heat, you won't be able to escape it entirely.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

I can vouch for cooling vests.

The idea of using a hose is actually pretty clever! If you have a pretty large water camel backpack attaching a hose extension around your body to the drinking spout definitely helps on the front end. If you sweat enough, having to run to the bathroom will be less of a problem.
Planned Cosplay 2017 - Everything all gold, woo!
Gilgamesh [Fate Series]
Kayle - The Judicator [League of Legends]
Sagitarrius Aiolis [Saint Seiya]
Genji [Overwatch - Ocre]
9S [Nier]
Geralt [Witcher 3 - Wolven]
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

A camel pack filled with ice water works wonders under a hot costume, but I'm not sure how quickly it will heat up under a mascot suit.
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2017, 02:42 AM   #9
Midnight Dawn

These are all great ideas.

My mascot is extremely insulated. So I'll probably need to strategically place a few vent holes where I can.

A cooling vest sounds great. Though as noted it's kind of pricey as I need to wonder if it's worth the investment. Perhaps if it's possible I can diy it. I'm probably overthinking this but I'm a super nerd when it comes to engineering stuff. So I'll give it some thought as I still have half a year before I need to produce any results.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Dawn View Post

My mascot is extremely insulated. So I'll probably need to strategically place a few vent holes where I can.

A cooling vest sounds great. Though as noted it's kind of pricey as I need to wonder if it's worth the investment. Perhaps if it's possible I can diy it. I'm probably overthinking this but I'm a super nerd when it comes to engineering stuff. So I'll give it some thought as I still have half a year before I need to produce any results.
From what I've gleaned the fursuit community isn't sure if cooling vests are worth it. Some find them too limiting of movement, or like you said they may heat up too fast to be useful long-term. Others do use them successfully, but if they're that expensive I'd look into other more traditional methods first, like building spaciously and with ventilation, and wearing heat- and sweat-wicking clothes (different from an actual cooling vest).

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Dawn View Post

One solution I tried was using a USB powered water pump, which couldn't pump enough volume and struggled to push volume against gravity.

If you can get water at a high enough level, you could use convection in a closed system to move water as the cold water sinks and goes through the tubes.

You could also thrift/make a vest, seal a couple of bags of purified water and simulate a cool vest that you swap tons of bags in and out.
Planned Cosplay 2017 - Everything all gold, woo!
Gilgamesh [Fate Series]
Kayle - The Judicator [League of Legends]
Sagitarrius Aiolis [Saint Seiya]
Genji [Overwatch - Ocre]
9S [Nier]
Geralt [Witcher 3 - Wolven]
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote