Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
sadievic
Also known as Fizzlecat

How to alter a garment to make it fit tighter?

Hello! Im currently working on a Mad Love Harley Quinn costume, I have the bodysuit practically finished. It fits well but needs to be tighter, If i mark where it needs to be tighter and then sew on said marker then cut the excess fabric on where the previous stitches were, will it fit tighter? Or do i need to do something else? Many thanks in advance
sadievic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Pictures will help us figure out exactly what needs to be done, but that's the simple way to go about it (usually works, but not always. Like I said, pictures of where/how you want things to be adjusted help a lot!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
Penlowe

It greatly depends on the area to be fitted what technique is best.

: pulls out soap box:

"Tight" is not a desired factor in clothing. "Tight" indicates that it does not fit correctly. "Fitted" is what I deeply hope that you mean and are simply using the wrong term. So, what's the difference? In any garment, fitted is close to the skin, but does not have creases or wrinkles or pulls. Any of those factors indicate a poor fit (they can be the result of too loose as well as too tight). I see far too many people who mistakenly think those creases, which indicate the fabric being strained to it's maximum potential, mean that the garment is at it's best 'tight fit'. This is wrong (Tim Gunn will back me up on this until he dies). Fabric that is fitted but not strained over a body will always be more flattering to the human form underneath it than a too tight garment. Doesn't matter if it's a suit or a leotard.

: puts away soap box:
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Scunosi

I'll admit you're right Penlowe, unless of course someone's going for tightness as a fetish thing. Which normally I wouldn't bring up, but it is Mad Love Harley Quinn, the originator of many a person's latex fetish. :P

To OP, you've got the general idea right for getting a garment more fitted. It's how I tweaked my skirt for Wicke, which I wanted as form-fitting as I could get it. Do be sure to try it on before cutting the excess first to make sure it doesn't change the shape somewhere else though. It may fit a little off with the excess still there but you don't want to find out after the fact that it's now too tight.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

If you're machine stitching, see if your machine can do a baste stitch - it's a temporary stitch using the longest stitch length that the machine will do, a thread tension that's just barely enough to hold the fabric together, and the ends of the stitch left with long thread tails and not tied off. When using the baste stitch, if things don't line up correctly, it's very easy to undo simply by pulling the threads out. And if things DO line up correctly, you stitch over it with your real/secure stitch.

Mark your suit, baste stitch along the marks, try it on, see how it fits, make adjustments if needed, then once you're happy with the new fitment, do the final stitch and trim your new seam allowances.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
sadievic
Also known as Fizzlecat

Many thanks guys, you all answered my question. And yes, fitted is a better word than tight and is a better way to describe what im trying to achieve. The areas that im trying to fit better are the calves, hips and armpit area. And with your help i can fix those areas. Again thanks so much, i truly appreciate it
sadievic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

I honestly would not do marker. Use pins. No matter how precise your seaming is, you run the risk of having ugly marker lines showing if you don't sew correctly.

Repin the costume on your body. Have a friend help, or at the very least put it on inside-out and repin your seams as necessary.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Penlowe

I use dressmakers pencils. I've probably got a dozen and a disappearing ink pen specifically for fabrics that I got at a quilt shop. If I can't lay my hand on those I use an ordinary pencil, but never a marker.

I do keep sharpies on hand because they are excellent for tracing patterns, the bleed through is actually handy in that case.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Mark your suit, baste stitch along the marks, try it on, see how it fits, make adjustments if needed, then once you're happy with the new fitment, do the final stitch and trim your new seam allowances.
This is a great idea IF your material is something like spandex. Ir your suit is PVC or latex or one of those very plastic-y fabrics, definitely be 100% sure before you start stitching. Otherwise, if you mess it up and have to take the stitches out, you're going to end up with a row of tiny holes-- and that's not great.

Another piece of advice-- generally it's smarter to modify a garment along the already existing seams. Make your marks/adjustments there.
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote