Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Wings.

One of my next cosplays is this:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/JeiCosCo...67600720093682
That is the best I can do in terms of all viewing angles. There's front, 3/4, side and back views.

So the problem lies with the wings. I've never done anything close to this before, let alone wings in general. I know i need a harness. And I would like if the wings could fold in at least, so I can get inside the doors of any con. If I can't make them fold, I'm afraid I'll break them..Though if it'll be too hard, I can just try to be careful.But I don't think they will be allowed indoors while spread the entire time.

I plan on using EVA Foam mats for the armor.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

Well you want them to move, that's a start. Do you want real feathers, foam, or felt? What sort of tools do you have access too? For moving wings the frame tends to be made from wood or PVC, so things like a drill, hand saw, PVC cutter, etc are sort of needed.

Here's a few good frame tutorials, but most leave it up to the maker to determine how to cover in feathers
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arti...ing-Framework/
https://folded-wings.deviantart.com/...rial-309168658
http://laureltreeworkshop.com/cospla...-wings-part-1/
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Oh I have a way to get to many different tools. And I wasn't really sure about materials, but I know for sure, not realistic feathers. Craft foam is likely the best option.

As for movement, in case this is needed, They go out horizontally, rather then normal wings that are diagonal up then back down. So I'm thinking of just having it so the halfway point could just fold so the furthest out points swing towards the body. So the wings when folded will still protrude the same as that top armor piece, then fold at that point. I'm thinking it may not work like it is in my head due to the way these are shaped. And now that I think about it, when people have wings that can open, they have to hold onto some cord or something that keeps them open. In order to do the poses I want, I need both hands free.
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Unread 11-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
walkerofdarknes

While I haven't made wings yet, I am always willing to take a swing at ANY design. I'd agree with the instructables link DIGIT gave you. You might want to consider having the "closed" version of the wings drape like a cloak along your back.

As for the problem of having a cord or something, that's actually pretty easy. Since you'll PROBABLY have a board to support the swing mechanism, if you have a cord you make sure the cord is long enough to wrap around your midriff and then you secure that to a small clip rigged on your belt. So for example, if you're right handed, the wings' cord is by your right hip. You palm the cord and "reach" for something on your left hip, securing it (I'm thinking a couple of stronger magnets or heavy duty velcro), which makes the wings expand while you finish your "reach". In my head, the example "reach" was drawing a sword from a sheathe or pulling out that wand. After all, classic misdirection and sleight of hands never go out of style.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Yea, those links I saved and will be referring to mostly the second one. It's the one I can follow the best. Obviously modding it to for the design I'm doing. I actually rrealized something while reading your post....Why don't I just make it so they stay out, and the cord I pull is to fold them up....Then letting go of the cord will make them go back to outstretched..It shouldn't be too hard.
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Unread 11-07-2017, 05:47 AM   #6
walkerofdarknes

Well....depending on how big you're making them, that might make it a walking hazard. I was nearly 5 feet wide in my Gundam costume, and it made things awkward to get through some of the bigger crowds at the con. I know I saw a woman in a medieval hoop dress who was nearly as wide. How large are you considering making the wings?
Unread 11-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Penlowe

Quote:
.Why don't I just make it so they stay out, and the cord I pull is to fold them up....Then letting go of the cord will make them go back to outstretched..It shouldn't be too hard.
Actually that's much harder. That requires either springs, weights, servos or combinations of all of those. Why? Because you are fighting gravity, and gravity always wins. Add the above mentioned complications with taking up a lot of room when walking and it's just not worth the expense and effort. Let your default position be closed. Think about it in terms of an umbrella, they don't often get broken when they are closed.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I would start with something like this, which already has the frame and articulation built, then strip off the existing fabric wing covering and add Vanessa's feathered wings. Make the new wing covering (and feathers) out of a few layers of lightweight red fabric, with some depth and detailing added by fabric paint. Use the old fabric wing covering as a rough template. If you want the wings to have more structure, glue or stitch a little strip of plastic (such as a long thin nylon zip-tie) along each feather to simulate the feather shaft.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Co.../dp/B00YSGZJJO

With these, you pull the string to make the wings pop open, and when you release the string the wings fold down.

Integrate little hooks on your hip armor, so that you can pull the strings down and hook them into place, so the wings stay open for photos and such. But in their neutral state, for just wandering around, the wings are closed.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 11-07-2017 at 09:45 AM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerofdarknes View Post
Well....depending on how big you're making them, that might make it a walking hazard. I was nearly 5 feet wide in my Gundam costume, and it made things awkward to get through some of the bigger crowds at the con. I know I saw a woman in a medieval hoop dress who was nearly as wide. How large are you considering making the wings?
Well since I'm not the same proportions as the charactes of the game, I'm gonna scale them a little differently. They ARE used to fly in the game (not really flying around, but like not being on the ground), so I'm gonna have to do some math first. I need someone to help me so size will come into the equation when I can get together with my friend next. But yes, I'm fully aware of being a hazard, thus why I wanted them to fold. I'm thinking about 1 1/2 arms length but again, not exactly sure yet. But that's fully extended. They'd fold at about the elbow length-ish area. Which isn't that large compared to other cosplays I've seen that can get around just fine at the cons I attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Actually that's much harder. That requires either springs, weights, servos or combinations of all of those. Why? Because you are fighting gravity, and gravity always wins. Add the above mentioned complications with taking up a lot of room when walking and it's just not worth the expense and effort. Let your default position be closed. Think about it in terms of an umbrella, they don't often get broken when they are closed.
Crap..That's what I was afraid of..Also, Just so it's known, I'll be outside nearly 98% of the time I'm in this cosplay. While there are a lot of people outside, it's much less likely to be a hazard or get broken. It'll be WAY too hot to be inside the con centers, because neither that I go to will have the AC on, making it way hotter inside. I guess I'll talk with my friend and see what he thinks about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
I would start with something like this, which already has the frame and articulation built, then strip off the existing fabric wing covering and add Vanessa's feathered wings. Make the new wing covering (and feathers) out of a few layers of lightweight red fabric, with some depth and detailing added by fabric paint. Use the old fabric wing covering as a rough template. If you want the wings to have more structure, glue or stitch a little strip of plastic (such as a long thin nylon zip-tie) along each feather to simulate the feather shaft.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Co.../dp/B00YSGZJJO

With these, you pull the string to make the wings pop open, and when you release the string the wings fold down.

Integrate little hooks on your hip armor, so that you can pull the strings down and hook them into place, so the wings stay open for photos and such. But in their neutral state, for just wandering around, the wings are closed.
I might be able to try those. It's a bit pricey for a "this might work, but might not", so I think we'll save this as a plan b. The shape is not actually correct as her wings don't have that large of a drop at the ends. I don't know how I would be able to get them sticking straight out, when the item doesn't do that.
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Unread 11-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #10
walkerofdarknes

Well, looking at the reference pics, I *THINK* the wings are almost as long as she is tall. It's hard to make out given she's floating or on tip-toe and not flat-footed. Certainly the wings are at least 1.5x her own arm length, maybe even double at the longest tip.

For where it hinges, I'd have it higher, near the tops of your shoulders. IF you want the wings themselves to fold/drop (I can't seem to find any pics of the wings retracted), you can either have the black parts swivel and cover the swivel, or you can have them be the top lock to stop the wing's motion. I made a very crude model of it in Paint, you can see it at https://thewalkerofdarkness.devianta...0%3A1510116427

EDIT: In that pic, I was anticipating it being seen from the front. The "shoulder" mentioned in the drawing is more of the black shoulder guards, not your actual shoulders.

Last edited by walkerofdarknes : 11-08-2017 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Unread 11-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
[...] gravity always wins[...]
Best quote, evar.
Planned Cosplay 2017 - Everything all gold, woo!
Gilgamesh [Fate Series]
Kayle - The Judicator [League of Legends]
Sagitarrius Aiolis [Saint Seiya]
Genji [Overwatch - Ocre]
9S [Nier]
Geralt [Witcher 3 - Wolven]
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote