Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
FoxPhyre
going crazy go nuts

cosplaying couples

In one of my recent expeditions into the depths of my own mind (scary, i know) i found the thought that: "man wouldnt it be nice i had a girlfriend, because then we could cosplay as a couple in closely related roles and it would be so much fun to share that with your partner" and i seconded that motion. i think that having a relationship with someone who would cosplay with you would be great, it would be like broadening both of your horizons and sharing something uniqeu with each other. and lets say you date someone who has never cosplayed before... wouldnt it be great to show them what they are missing... yank them along to a con and force them to dress up as someone... once they see how much fun it is, they will be hooked for life.. and if not... find another soul-mate (j/j) i hope that there are a few good couples that participate in this forum, and id love to hear your insights into cosplaying as a couple. come on... dont be shy, itll be fun... i guarantee it...

All your props are belong to us
FoxPhyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
DigitalCactus
Feels good man.

Finding that someone who happens to tolerate your less-than-mainstream hobbies is good. Finding someone who encourages it and is there right along with you is fantastic. About 2 years ago I was with a girl who just ridiculed my cosplay hobby and made fun of the fact that I'd play video games. I finaly had enough and got rid of her. I enjoyed a long single life. AS much as I tried to work thigns out with my ex after we broke up it jsut never seemed to work out. We were too different and ultimately having things in common with whoever you are with should really be a deciding factor in choosing your significant other.

Looks fade and all you've got left in the end is what's on the inside. Believe me, I feel lucky to have someone that shares the same mentality and is understanding of my interests. Though I would never force my girlfriend to cosplay something she wouldn't want to, I cosplay what I like and you should too. if it happens that you both can agree on related characters from a specific series/game than that's awesome and kudos to you.
DigitalCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
topleka
The Tin Dog

I know some couples to love to dress up and stuff, but you don't necessarily have to find your soulmate to be a cosplay partner. My sister and I do cosplay couples, and I know some people who aren't "couples" but who cosplay couples because they enjoy being in a group.
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:16 PM   #4
Adrienne
Adrienne

I'm not really into dating, but I think if I were half of a cosplaying couple, I would feel obligated to always cosplay with that other person. I don't think I would like that. Sometimes I might wanna do a costume that doesn't necessarily have an "other half", you know? But I definitely couldn't be with someone who makes fun of cosplay, considering it's such a huge hobby for me.
Me on Twitter!
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
— Henry Ford
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
BlueLady
slightly distracted

Looks fade and all you've got left in the end is what's on the inside. Believe me, I feel lucky to have someone that shares the same mentality and is understanding of my interests. Though I would never force my girlfriend to cosplay something she wouldn't want to, I cosplay what I like and you should too. if it happens that you both can agree on related characters from a specific series/game than that's awesome and kudos to you.[/quote]

agreed.. and i still say if you loan me the guns I'll buy the wig and boots XD

Honestly I've never been thrilled about doing couples cosplay but when its done well its awesome ( thinking of sailor-moon and her man in particular )
Unread 06-11-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
AndoMasanobu
love freezes to death

me and my boi both cosplay, but its honestly quite hard to choose "pairs" for us to do. our tastes in anime's arent exactly the same so its hard and my boi has this hair thats just....wow, if the character doesnt have hair like that then he cant do it. the one pair we did together that actually went well was our battle royale cosplays, he went as kiriyama and i went as noriko. we had some cute poses that we could do together, and the best pic i have (which i keep to myself ^ ^) is a pic of him carrying me out of the ruins of a house sympatheticly which places him totally out of character but if you know the movie its a very cool idea. we've also done a few j-rock couples....that didnt match at all ^ ^'. our first year cosplaying together i went as gackt and he was hide, and earlier this year we went as miyavi (DLQ) and kaoru (DEG). this otakon will probably be the only con we've had a matching j-rock couple^.~. it is very cool to me that the person i find so dear is so close to me that he doesnt mind if i dress him up once and a while, its fun to have that experiance together and i love the challenge of thinking one day we might actually be able to find cosplays that match ^_^
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
JunJun
Plaid Cat

My boyfriend doesn't really get cosplay. He doesn't dislike it, but i think he thinks its a bit weird. Its okay. I <3 him.
One of my dream cosplays is Tasuki and Nuriko. I could cuddle him alllll day, and fend of the hordes of fangirls who would go after my gorgeous red headed man. ^o^

Juno-chan dot net

"Thank you! When I rule the world, your death shall be quick and painless!" - Stuey, Family Guy
JunJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #8
ChibiRinoa
Dynamic Duo

my boyfriend has cosplayed with me every single time i have, since day one. We dont always do couples, and he only has worn three or so costumes. We try to have a similar theme in mind though. In the future i hope him and i do more couple stuff, but we have to find a couple that we both like >.<
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:24 PM   #9
Dinahsprodigy
The drabble slut

Ooooh. I'd love to cosplay as an anime couple...any anime couple. Wait. *checks self* I've already done Chii and Freya, but I guess I mean a male/female couple. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find guys that are willing. Anyone wanna volunteer? That isn't already taken, that is. *Winks* Don't want to step on another girl's turf.
Dinahsprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:24 PM   #10
Fragmentor
Because I can't fly...

it would be cool...im always trying to find other people who dont think cosplaying is wierd-let alone get them to do cosplay with you. My older sis and i have a lot of 'coasplay couples' planned, like (subaru and Hokuto) but more often than not, we need a guy cos were both v. short and look v.similar. so unless were cosplaying teins Girl+boy cosplays havent worked out so well so far...
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #11
AndoMasanobu
love freezes to death

well say your boi doesnt cosplay. this might not work in most cases but mine for an example. I've been cosplaying for a while and he was going to cons before he knew me but at that time none of his friends that went to cons with him did. when me and him went to our first con together and he saw the fun i had (hanging out, taking pics, talking about the construction of, etc.) he just straight out said that he felt left out, he wanted to be a part of that experiance and didnt want to miss out, all he wanted was to have a cosplay of his own (which i still think to this day might also be because he would always have to back out so that i could get my pic taken and he wanted to get his pic taken right there with me.)
so just because he doesnt yet, doesnt mean he might not like the idea of doing it later. once he sees its really something worth at least trying he might lighten up to the subject and who knows...enjoy it as much as you do^.^
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #12
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I've cosplayed with my husband as a pair, and also in unrelated costumes, but most of the time it's just me in costume with him as my 'bodyguard' ^_^. He likes dressing up in costume, but unfortunately he has ZERO interest in actually *making* costumes...so if we want to cosplay together I have to make twice as many costumes. -.-;;; I love him to bits, but sometimes I wish he were a little more of a handyperson-creative type.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:46 PM   #13
Fory-san
**Worship the plushie!**

I think the most important thing in any relationship is to have quite a lot in common with each other. My last two gfs cosplayed (the latter, I had a terrible experience with), but I've never actually gone to a con with a significant other in costume. I would like to do that whenever I am ready to tackle the dating scene once more. ^^

Support the industry...Buy Anime!

Little children, you belong to God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.-1 John 4:4
Fory-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 11:11 PM   #14
K_Valentine
I shoot people.

Nadeshiko and I have been cosplaying together since 2003.
http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/valenti/index.htm

Escapist Magazine anime critic: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti.../reviews/anime
K_Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #15
Apocoliptic

Isnt life one big dating field lol.....
Hey man about not being muscular and stuff, it doesnt matter, thats yourself saying that. Life is about confidence! you gotta act thats how you learn, trust me, hey i wouldnt say im bad looking but i wouldnt say im the best looking. You gotta have no pity in yourself, if you keep looking down upon yourself and looking up at other then it will put you into a slump. Sure there are people out there who impact us and make us work harder! But some people just get less motivated, you have to be self-motivated to make it anywhere in life.

No worries my fellow small framed friend ! I as well have a small build and i mean cmon were all nerds/geeks here, we dont get out much except some training =) It's summer time here so u know..... sitting in my chair eating like it;s the weekend..... going to Kung Fu Tuesday and Thursday im seeing myself get bigger. God made ya the way you are and he has set a limit to yourself, and you have to motivate yourself to go further than that limit until you know what you can and can't do.

"Nothing is impossible, it's improbable"

Anyways, yea it would be nice to get a lady to do some cosplaying with, but we all have our standards...... but when some1 comes along that meets them.. we kinda chicken out.... lol i live in alot of regret when it comes to women, but hey you'd be suprised what people really think about you, just gotta catch people off gaurd with a question to get an honest reply ! .... erg ..... yep .... i did get pulled into doing a cosplay with a group of people which was fun... which i got to be the ninja everyone jumped on.. and i almost tore down the screen thingy.... man that wouldnt of looked good .... Eh im still looking and life is great =)

Last edited by Apocoliptic : 06-11-2004 at 11:56 PM.
Apocoliptic is offline   Reply With Quote