Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 11-27-2002, 11:31 AM   #1
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

Question Manga costumes

(I know this is the "Anime Costumes" forum, but there isn't one for Manga costumes, and this is the next best thing.)

Here's the deal: I'm planning a few costumes from mangas that were not made into animes, and I'm just curious about how other people who might have done this decided on what colors to use for their costumes.

I'm planning to make Miwako from Paradise Kiss, and I think I'm just going to have to go with colors that will go well with pink hair. I drew an oekaki of her and when I colored it I just picked colors that I thought matched. Should I do that with my costume, too? These are two options I'm thinking of for Miwako's outfit (http://www.boomspeed.com/somelulu/miwako-outfits.jpg). I'm also planning on Momo from Peach Girl, but I think I'll be doing her school uniform, and I know the colors of that.

If anyone has either had this problem (or maybe it's good thing because you're not limited?) or has cosplayed from either of these two mangas, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited by Something Lulu : 11-27-2002 at 11:34 AM.
Something Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2002, 11:53 AM   #2
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I'm just curious about how other people who might have done this decided on what colors to use for their costumes.

I've done this a lot for my Angel Sanctuary costumes. The anime was not made yet when I started cosplaying as Rosiel and the anime doesn't have the same outfits anyway...

Moreover there are few color illustrations of Rosiel...

So I made up the colors. ^__^

I based my choices on a few things:

1) In color illustrations, was there a trend in colors used for that character? (AS is easy as it tends to go for Gothy red-white-black with some purple most of the time) Is there an outfit that looks similar, what color is it color?

2) What tone did the mangaka use? Black, gray, white? Black = black, white = white and gray get picked as colors the character usually wears or wears for a similar outfit. The darker the gray tone, the darker the color.

3) Does the gray tone match some feature of the character you already know (i.e. was the same tone used for both)? If so, use the same color.
Unread 11-27-2002, 11:54 AM   #3
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I have been planning to do a costume of Houki's from Fushigi Yuugi that was not used in the anime. I plan to look at other costumes of hers where I know what their colors are to see if there are any certain color schemes that were used repeatedly on her and see if can implement them in this costume. Else, I will just choose colors that I think go well with pale skin.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2002, 12:06 PM   #4
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

Those are really helpful suggestions. Thanks. I'll be sure to take the advice.
Unread 11-27-2002, 12:10 PM   #5
Nemui Yume
I like vidja games

anime/manga outfits seem to be fairly the same ^.^ but it's true some manga colors differ to the anime one, since there is more various colors than what animators can use, so that's why colors are mostly followed up in the manga instead of anime..

ahh Paradise Kiss is indeed a great manga!~ i would love to read more of it, but a friend of mine is also doing something from Paradise Kiss, ^.^ i think she'll do it no matter what! I bought her the Japanese ones, which didn't have much color except for like the page after the cover. ^.^ i will ask her to come over here and see what she thinks-

i think for limited colors, or colors that you don't know what to do with, you can always go with a nice colors that you think would match it, but then again, sometimes color is important, or you can do it the black/white style for the picture on the right ^.^ it seems like you can add nice dark colors like purple/red/dark blue
but that's just me- but make sure you can find colors before you go with just a lil' bit of refrence you have-

good luck ^.^

Stella~
Nemui Yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2002, 12:59 PM   #6
katchoo
Gaming Angel

Hi ^_^ I'm a big fan of the series, and it has the best outfits I have ever seen. The hardest thing is no color...but I think you can probably guess the color just from the character's manner. She's very cute and lively so her colors probably reflect that. I'd love to hear what you end up deciding because I am going to do Caroline's outfit too.
katchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2002, 02:17 PM   #7
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

Eeh! Miwako's so adorable! ^_^ *likes Arashi and Isabella*Heheh, I can't wait to see the costume! I was actually interested in doing Arashi =P I know a cheap way to make the safety pins stick into my skin without piercing myself.
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2002, 02:58 PM   #8
Mako-san
Press A! Press A!

I like both Peach Girl and Paradise Kiss!!! I can't wait to see your versions of it!!!
I also agree with what was said above, just try to find colors that you think agrees with the character and is fun!! Miwako, I thinks she would wears fun colors, and bright!

ja
Mako-san
Mako-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2002, 08:58 PM   #9
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

Shippo you should so be Arashi! lol He's funny.

For colors I was kind of thinking of really intense greens and purples for the outfit on the right, with some bright yellow thrown in. The one on the left (the first outfit Miwako appears in) makes me think white, yellow, and pink, all pastels because it's all fluffy and light. Maybe also some purple in there.
Unread 11-27-2002, 09:35 PM   #10
Pink Bunnie
Beware of the Bagels

In the first one its very light so lighter colors would prolly be best but still use happy bright ones cuz of all the color pics I've seen her in she has bright colors on. She does have the happy berry pin on in the enlarged pic so you can also base the colors off the happy berry logo colors.

As for the second the black is very black so I'd use either black or another dark color. The jacket has a grey tone to it so I'd use a medium toned color. She also seems down in the second pic so darker not so happie colors I think would fit betters.

In general as for the colors on either just go to the fabric store with a pic and wander around finding fabrics and matching them up. Paradise Kiss is all about fashion design so I don't think you should limit yourself at all. Don't worrie bout prints matchin up either cuz ya know the artist is just using screen tones.

Have fun with your fabrics selections and be sure to post the end product I adorez Paradise Kiss :3

Sewing and cosplay journal
www.livejournal.com/users/pour_me_coffee
Pink Bunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2002, 10:01 PM   #11
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to have any pics of the Happy Berry logo in color? (Or any pics of Miwako in color? lol)
Unread 11-28-2002, 11:53 AM   #12
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

i'll try and find some! *zooms off*
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
Unread 11-28-2002, 01:21 PM   #13
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

http://www.mclink.it/personal/MI1607/galleria/PK27.jpg

Erm.. one pic! Yay..It's so hard to find color pics >.<
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
Unread 11-28-2002, 03:20 PM   #14
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

Thank you! Yeah, it's really difficult. lol Looks like I'm not the only one who pictured Miwako in yellow.