Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 06-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
procrastinator
aka Sutashi

Cream Eyeshadow

I hate this stuff! I don't know if it's me or I just don't know how to use it, but I have some-- it was on sale at Macy's and I had to get it to experiment-- and I have lots of gorgeous colors, but I don't know how to put it on, I've used my finger, a q-tip, and a brush, but I haven't gotten the results I want with any of them. The color is vibrant in the container but when i put it on, you can barely see it. So I tried just putting more on and it got all gloppy. Is it supposed to be hard to see? Is it supposed to be like a glaze or something? Help me!!! I've abandoned them and gone back to powder, but I feel like I gave up on something I could have potentially used.

Unread 06-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Sephi-chan

I hate to tell you this...but the powders are much easiewr to work with. As for the Cream...try putting a base of a light color...THEN your brighter tones on top of it. It should pop your colors out. I reccoment a spritz of Barrier Spray between the coats, though
Sephi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

Stac why don't you try a base of foundation to give the eyeshadow something to stick to or apply a light powder eyeshadow (like translucent or goldish) something that will be able to be covered up by the eyeshadow. Next time I come over, I'll see what I can do
~Anji
Cosplays I'd like to make (eventually):
~~ Chun Li (Street Fighter) ~~ Kazuki (Getbackers) ~~
xfallenangelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 02:09 AM   #4
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

Sometiems I do that too, using a powder of the same color underneath a cream eyeshadow. Or you can try putting transluscent powder over it.

I hate it though 'cause I have one eye that creases more than the other, nd it gets all goopy in there. -_-

Unread 06-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Scrapped Neko
Curiosity killed this cat

One advantage I've noticed in cream shadows is that they tend to crease less (at least they do for me). The kind I use is by Almay, and I've never had a problem with it. Cream shadows are generally meant to give the wearer a more light and natural effect. If you want a more dramatic effect, you have to use darker shades (like mochas and greys) but even then the result is still on the opaque side. If you really want your shadow to be dramatically dark, it's best to go with powder.
Unread 06-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
procrastinator
aka Sutashi

Thank you! At least now I know what i'm going through is common and i'm not a makeup-impared wierdo. Hahaha.
Unread 06-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #7
HuongStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator
I hate this stuff! I don't know if it's me or I just don't know how to use it, but I have some-- it was on sale at Macy's and I had to get it to experiment-- and I have lots of gorgeous colors, but I don't know how to put it on, I've used my finger, a q-tip, and a brush, but I haven't gotten the results I want with any of them. The color is vibrant in the container but when i put it on, you can barely see it. So I tried just putting more on and it got all gloppy. Is it supposed to be hard to see? Is it supposed to be like a glaze or something? Help me!!! I've abandoned them and gone back to powder, but I feel like I gave up on something I could have potentially used.
Creams tend to have a more translucent effect but they work wonderfully as a base for more dramatic looks. I use a cream eyeshadow brush from MAC and it works well.
Unread 06-14-2004, 11:27 PM   #8
China-Lilly

Creme eyeshadows are especially good if you're not super confident at applying makeup. You can use your fingers to apply, there's no need for tools and it's easy to blend away any lines.

I basically pat the cream on with my finger. Don't spread it out or rub it in, just tap the colour on gently. You can also use a taklon brush. Most cream shadows are sheer, so patting helps build up the colour.

There are different types of cream shadow - some are cream to powder, so they dry and set after you apply them ie MAC paints, Maybelline Cool Effects. These are basically budgeproof after they've set and are very crease-resistant. These make good bases for regular eyeshadow too as they will help them stay true longer.

Then you have conventional cream eyeshadows - which don't totally dry. You set these with powder. A eye base, like MMU Eye rescue (www.mmucosmetics.com) will help with longevity, but these will crease more easily than powder.
China-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 11:33 PM   #9
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

I saw something at the Red Earth store today called eye Mousse. it was a strange product. It came in a pot (like a large lipgloss) and the consistency was like a soft cream cheese. The colors were lovely and it spread really well on the back of my hand.

I may go back to experiment some more.