Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-12-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
Chibi Yunie
Where's the Chappy?

Question Cosplay and Parents.

Alright. What does your parents and family think about your costumes and cosplay? Do they think it's a fun, unique hobby? Or do they hate it and think it's a waste of time and money?

My mother just grounded me when she saw my Utena epaulettes and my drying Mireille shirt. She was furious and proceeded to tell me I'm wasting my life doing cosplay. That it's a weird hobby and I'm strange and immature for doing it..

I really wish I had a mother (and father) who understood my hobby. Understood my opinions, dreams...

So tell me, are your parents the same way? Have they threatened to destroy your costumes? Or are they cool about it? I just wish I knew what to do about my predicament..

Chibi Yunie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
Mei
**Iki to Kirei**

My mother and faither do not necessarily dislike it, but they don't understand it, either. Thankfully, they know and understand my deep respect and awe of all things Japanese--anime/manga/games included. Thus, they understand that anything I do is simply to attempt to understand whatever it is I'm doing (be it [Japanese] calligraphy, language, applying makeup as the geiko/maiko/fuisode/hangyoku [whichever type of courtesan/entertainer] do, or cosplaying).

But yes, they think it's weird. Thankfully, as long as I'm not endangering or exposing myself, however, they are completely alright with it. And they'll help me.

Last edited by Mei : 06-13-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 11:59 PM   #3
Blondie_Usagi
BONUS BANANA!!!

my parents are the same way Chibi Yunie.My mother HATES the idea,but my dad said I could go to A-kon next year,but he's not coming with me :/
Sailor V
Cephira SinClair(original character)
Blondie_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
Hypertexed

My parents are pretty serious with normality and junk, they throw shitfits all the time when it comes to cosplay or being a cybergoth.
Hypertexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
FoxPhyre
going crazy go nuts

oh dear... i couldnt immagine my life if my parents didnt support me in all my choices. i can only try to empathize your situation. im sorry that some people have to fear and destroy things they dont understand. wasting your life? hardly! many of us here make a good living doing pretty advanced stuff outside of our cosplay. your parents must have a hobby somewhere here or there... at least cosplay allows you to build up a skill that has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years, that skill being the craft of textiles.. you are forced to read shakespeare in school... he was a cosplayer by difinition.. more specifically a crossplayer since women werent allowed to participate in theatre at that time... but even before shakespeare there were plenty of masquerades that went on all the time... romans had masquerades, italians had masquerades... its been around for so long, and so has sewing. how can it possibly be something you would waste your life on. unless of course they know exactly what you are going to be when you grow up. it saddens me to see you in this situation... as far as my experiences with my parents and cosplay... and really anything i like for that matter. my mom thinks its great, my dad is indifferent because hes glad im not out doing drugs. im old enough to make my own decisions now anyway, but even when i wasnt. if i wanted to waste my money on something they would ask me if i was sure and explain how they felt and if i still wanted to do it then they would let me be me and learn my own lessons... its the only way to let a child grow. my mom repeatedly calls me and asks me if i have pictures of my last costumes or my trip to a-kon or wherever else i might go.... i wish everyone had the chance that i have had to be what i want to be... it would make the world a lot better (please dont thik im trying to down anyones parents or be concieted, im merely saying that if everyone were allowed to learn their own lessons and find what they like to do, there would be less stress in the world, because everyone wouldnt feel obligated to be living for someone elses reasons.....)

All your props are belong to us
FoxPhyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:03 AM   #6
Chibi Yunie
Where's the Chappy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei
My mother and faither do not necessarily dislike it, but they don't understand it, either. Thankfully, they know and understand my deep respect and awe of all things Japanese--anime/manga/games included. Thus, they understand that anything I do is simply to attempt to understand whatever it is I'm doing (be it [Japanese] calligraphy, language, applying makeup as the geiko/maiko/fuisode/hangyoku [whichever type of courtesan/entertainer] do, or cosplaying).

But yes, they think it's weird. Thankfully, as long as I'm not endangering or exposing myself, however, they are completely alright with it. And they'll help me.
*nods* I wish my parents were a bit more understanding. I just don't like it that they think it's weird. Ah well, then again, I think weird is cool..

Unread 06-13-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
Chibi Yunie
Where's the Chappy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie_Usagi
my parents are the same way Chibi Yunie.My mother HATES the idea,but my dad said I could go to A-kon next year,but he's not coming with me :/
That sucks. Yeah, my mom might not even let me go to *Ushicon* next year. -_-;

Unread 06-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #8
Blondie_Usagi
BONUS BANANA!!!

My parents think cosplay is a waste of time when I think what they do really wastes their time.

My mom,all she does is read.When I was young,'Mom,tiger(a stuffed animal) has a hole in it,can you fix it.' 'I will after I read this good book'(thats a true story,I still have that stuffed animal with the hole still there)

All my dad does is drink and watch TV(but he's still cool)

Parents think what kids do today are stupid,like cosplaying and other stuff,but most parents are just being lazy and waisting their time of living(my parents are old)
Sailor V
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:10 AM   #9
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

My parents are mixed on it - rather, one doesn't have a problem with it, and the other does.

My Dad thinks it's pretty cool - he does a very similar thing (old west reenactments, which involves purchasing a few costumes and guns /ammo) - he's usually eager to help me out with wood or plastic work. He was, after all, the one who bought me my scrollsaw for Christmas =).

My Mom is not fond of cosplay, and takes pretty much every opportunity she can to prod at me about it. >_< Oy... it gets really annoying after awhile. I know she's just concerned about me doing what's right (as far as my life in general goes), but I wish she would stop bugging me about it sometimes. I haven't made that many costumes, nor do I have any in the making right now. I go to a whole 2 (4 this year though) cons per year. Mmf.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:13 AM   #10
Chibi Yunie
Where's the Chappy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhyre
oh dear... i couldnt immagine my life if my parents didnt support me in all my choices. i can only try to empathize your situation. im sorry that some people have to fear and destroy things they dont understand. wasting your life? hardly! many of us here make a good living doing pretty advanced stuff outside of our cosplay. your parents must have a hobby somewhere here or there... at least cosplay allows you to build up a skill that has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years, that skill being the craft of textiles.. you are forced to read shakespeare in school... he was a cosplayer by difinition.. more specifically a crossplayer since women werent allowed to participate in theatre at that time... but even before shakespeare there were plenty of masquerades that went on all the time... romans had masquerades, italians had masquerades... its been around for so long, and so has sewing. how can it possibly be something you would waste your life on. unless of course they know exactly what you are going to be when you grow up. it saddens me to see you in this situation... as far as my experiences with my parents and cosplay... and really anything i like for that matter. my mom thinks its great, my dad is indifferent because hes glad im not out doing drugs. im old enough to make my own decisions now anyway, but even when i wasnt. if i wanted to waste my money on something they would ask me if i was sure and explain how they felt and if i still wanted to do it then they would let me be me and learn my own lessons... its the only way to let a child grow. my mom repeatedly calls me and asks me if i have pictures of my last costumes or my trip to a-kon or wherever else i might go.... i wish everyone had the chance that i have had to be what i want to be... it would make the world a lot better (please dont thik im trying to down anyones parents or be concieted, im merely saying that if everyone were allowed to learn their own lessons and find what they like to do, there would be less stress in the world, because everyone wouldnt feel obligated to be living for someone elses reasons.....)
Eek, tons of responses, I hope I don't get yelled at for all of these replies one after another.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, it really makes me feel better. You are REALLY lucky with your family's situation..I really wish I could have parents like that.

Yeah, it's not wasting my life, I'm doing something I enjoy and something that IS useful. Sure, I might not do it for a living, but who cares?

I don't do drugs, I go to college, I make good grades...yet they (mainly my mom) insult my hobby in me..it's annoying. *sigh* Thanks again.

Unread 06-13-2004, 12:13 AM   #11
Blondie_Usagi
BONUS BANANA!!!

Quote:
My parents are mixed on it - rather, one doesn't have a problem with it, and the other does.
that how my parents are -.-' they never think the same on something
Sailor V
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:20 AM   #12
Chibi Yunie
Where's the Chappy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie_Usagi
My parents think cosplay is a waste of time when I think what they do really wastes their time.

My mom,all she does is read.When I was young,'Mom,tiger(a stuffed animal) has a hole in it,can you fix it.' 'I will after I read this good book'(thats a true story,I still have that stuffed animal with the hole still there)

All my dad does is drink and watch TV(but he's still cool)

Parents think what kids do today are stupid,like cosplaying and other stuff,but most parents are just being lazy and waisting their time of living(my parents are old)
Yeah, parents are annoying like that. I swear, I'm never going to be a cruel parent. (I'll probably never be a parent at all.) Well, at least your mom reads...but what is she doing with all the reading? You have to do something with it. My dad is the same, except he does work in the yard and so forth. My mom tans, paints her nails, occassionally works in the yard, and gets me to do chores for her. I dunno..*sigh*

Unread 06-13-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
Blondie_Usagi
BONUS BANANA!!!

I'll adopt my little nephew =^.^=♥ he's very good for a 2 year old.lol.

my mom is lame.I told her to let me do her make up and hair(I could make someone look very young)and she said no.So I was like 'whatever,look like a hoe-mammy(slutty grandmother)'

and my mom is NOT fit at all,I'm more fit than her,but thats because I was trained by Creampuff(don't laugh please),the most fit girl at out school.All she does is sit and READ.She is SOO FRIGGIN' LAME!
Sailor V
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:37 AM   #14
Yusuke Urameshi

Personally, my parents don't really care. That's probly because I've always had/collected costumes of some sort, mainly from halloween (ninja, darth vader, pirate, alien, etc.). And starting in middle school, me and my friends started making funny videos with various characters we created/used (half of our characters have costumes, one of which is a ninja turtle ). Your parents most likely see it as a hobby that can get in the way of your school/work/etc. If that's the case, don't act defiant about it. Ask your mom what hobby she would rather you take up. Then take that hobby she gave out and compare it to cosplay. Add into the mix, a little, "life isn't all about work/school/etc." and it sounds like you have a case. The key to a debate/persuasive argueement, don't yell/raise agressions. Iv'e had this same problem, trying to get my parents to accept me playing video/computer games (which truely is counter-productive). I personally wouldn't go for the "I'm an adult, you can't control me" thing. If you are still living in their house you are living under their rules. After you get a strong point across about cosplay being your hobby, leave it at that. Let it sink in a bit. Then again what do I know, I'm only 17.
The power, is yoouurrrss-Captain Planet
Yusuke Urameshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 12:43 AM   #15
Blondie_Usagi
BONUS BANANA!!!

but,my parents think its right for me to study animal to be a zoologist rather than cosplay.Fist of all,I love animal,but I want to be a singer/actress,and to study zoology so soon,yeah right.My parents don't understand that I'm a kid,and cosplaying is like a kid(and adult)thing and it would also help me be a better singer/actress person.They can't get it through there heads!(but my dad wants me to become famous more than mom does because I told dad that I would bye him every single LSU item they have^.^')
Sailor V