Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 06-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Melchior

95% Finished Sesshoumaru

Well, I finished everything except for the fluffy. A few things:

- I dont have the fluffy, shoes, sword, or makeup on. It's all coming evenutally.
- The material is Peachskin.
- The hexagons and sash were made with applique. Heat and bond is what I used. Check my other thread for more information about that.

Let me know what ya think

Another angle. I really need to work on my poses and expressions though.

From the back:

Unread 06-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
R1KKu

Very nice! WOOO!!! I love it. All of it is excellent. And the armor looks pretty good for the materials used.

Hope to see it finished soon.
I cant wait to finish mine. Im so excited now!
Are you making both swords?
Dont forget the ears too XD

<---see my avatar XD

Im such a dork.
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 09:20 PM   #3
JunJun
Plaid Cat

ooOOOOoooohh!!! <3 That looks GREAT!!! i LOVE the red sash. The bangs on the wig look really nice, too. Can't wait to see the furry and the lovely, effeminite makeup
If your ears are going to show, you may want to get pointed ear tips. If your ears will be covered by your hair the whole time, don't worry about it. :3

Look really nice!

Juno-chan dot net

"Thank you! When I rule the world, your death shall be quick and painless!" - Stuey, Family Guy
JunJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
Mew_Pudding
Tits.

WoW

Wow, that`s really. really great! I LOVE the yellow sash and the octagon pattern, you got it to come out really, really great. The wig is also very nice, looks just like his! Your going to look just like him once you get the make-up on! I can`t see anything thats not perfect, Great Job!!!
Mew_Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Fatwetdog
The smallest violin

I really like your work with the pattern on the kimono... My crits are excessively nitpicky... but it looks like the edge of the kimono collar is puckering on the left. (my left) It looks like the seam is straight but you might be trying to ease the fabric into the seam unevenly. The same problem is going on at the openings of your sleeves, and where the right sleeve (my right, third picture) fits into the armscye. I can't tell if it is a problem with the stitching, or if it would be fixed by ironing it.

Also... I don't know, but it looks like the armor is very flat, particularly the piece that goes around your arm.

But like I said, I'm being really nitpicky. I do really like the work on the red sections of the kimono, the applique is great. And that's some really good attention to detail on the wig, I like the way the bangs are split down the center.
Fatwetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
Lirael
i want a daemon

it's really nice, and should look even better when it's done. however, the armor is quite flat color wise. maybe silver paint?

Why are all the little children copying me? It's true. it's like the marketers have some hidden camera in my house or something...
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I should really be in bed by now (its 130 am!) but I feel like being picky, too!

The beloved Sesshy has an under-kimono. Even if you don't go all the way and make a complete nagajuban (or buy one), you should invest in the fake collars (or make one, and stiffen it with a thin piece of plastic or cardboard). This will help the kimono sit properly. Also, checking out webpages/books on how to wear kimono will probably help you (since he's probably tied it this way under the armor). The books/webpages will also have images of the fake collar I'm talking about (if they're any good, I guess. I think asahi-jc.com has some... in the "how to wear" section). Or Norio Yamanaka's Book of Kimono. (Can you tell I've become an advocate for wearing the garment correctly? >.<)

For the armor, if you want a metallic look, you could try chrome spray paint. I used it on swords and the like - purchased from the auto paint section, with a grey primer sprayed first. Looked nice and shiny. However, if that's not the look you're going for, perhaps using multiple colors for some depth? I realize his is a flat color, though, so you'd have to choose what effect you're going for. IIRC, you didn't make the armor...but the pointy things shouldn't be perfect cones. They're more shaped like canine teeth, with a slight curve in them (in the images, anyway, esp. the ones on the front piece). The shoulder piece also looks a bit too low. I think it should be higher, closer to the top of your shoulder, where your arm meets it, not across the bicep.

I also think the yellow sashes should be draping lower - in the images I found for reference purposes, it's closer to the bottom of the armor piece.

The ref. images I refer to were found searching google for "sesshoumaru"... common wallpapers, and the like. I didn't save them, just looked for comparison.

I believe I commented on the applique before... but just in case, it looks great! Nice attention to detail. Keep up the good work!

And now, I think I should go to bed... I have to be at work in 6 hours!

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 11:08 PM   #8
Skullez
BOO !!

holy cow!
thats pretty ompressive! im always impressed w/ Sesshoumaru costumes. i really love how ppl seem to get the pattern on the costume so right!! I gota know how in the world did you do that anyway?

Site of art and cosplay.

http://www.heisestudios.com
Skullez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 05:36 AM   #10
diamondscan
devious

Just make sure your fluffy is really big, so it impresses us. And loosen your shoulders when posing, you look like you're uncomfortable having your picture taken. Smile if you want, or give a glaring look and remenmber that you don't always have to look straight at the camera. Try out different poses that involve moving your arms a bit (or at least one of them) and that should make your pictures more interesting.
diamondscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #11
Melchior

Thanks for the comments guys. Most of the stuff you've said has been really helpful.

I figured at least one person would notice I didn't have an undershirt. I guess that I'll take half a day and make one since it's gotten a lot easier recently for me to do that kinda stuff

For the applique questions, go back a few pages and look for another thread I posted in here regarding the sash and hexagon patterns. It's actually a really easy method.

Finally, as for the armor, I know it's kinda flat. I bought it, and though I'd like to eventually remake it someday, it'll do for now

Thank you everyone for the advice!
Unread 06-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
R1KKu

Hehe, I wouldve mentioned the undershirt, but na... o.O

For poses, trying standing in front of a mirror and practicing, thats what I do.

*sarcasm* Hexagons, ooh I so cant wait to make mine. Did you use that peachskin to make yours?

Cant wait to see your fluffy. I gotta redo mine.

Armor....I might make another set to put up on EBay sometime in the future, if you are interested.

=)

(Im planning to go to Ota, its up in the air though, )
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 10:33 AM   #13
yamano
Jakotsu

Shoud not thos under plates (ore somting like that ), be difrent ?
I do tink that the center plate, shoud be on the topp, And not below the side-plates,..
yamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #14
Melchior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamano
Shoud not thos under plates (ore somting like that ), be difrent ?
I do tink that the center plate, shoud be on the topp, And not below the side-plates,..

It's all velcro so ya I could do it that way. Thanks for the tip!
Unread 07-22-2004, 12:26 PM   #15
Black_Dog
Wise-ass

Eh...is the armor made out of...foam? That's what it looks like. XXXP

Very good overall, and I did notice the undershirt problem. Though, you can just add on the collar and look fine, in my opinion. If you do wear an undershirt, it might be awfully hot!!!

In the name of God, all impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.

Projects for 2009 Conventions:
Hellsing;

Integra in her Dead Zone outfit (no blazer, no cross-pin) from volume two, chapter one of the manga
Integra in her outfit from the last two chapters of the manga

Other Anime/Manga;

A.B.A., Spike Speigel and Edward (for my boyfriend and I), and Rain Mikamura.
Black_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote