Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 06-16-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
NeonRainDrop
Sabaku Sousou!

Gaara Costume

I have decided on going to cosplay as Gaara. Well, I put up an ad in classified, and the spam board for anyone who would sell me a new/used Gaara costume, but no one has replied. So I'm going to try to make a Gaara costume myself.

I don't know how to go about constructing Gaara's costume, however. Can someone give me a few tips or suggestions?

Unread 06-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
Dyn
Mmm... Cheese Procedure..

My friend is going as Gaara... I'll talk to him about it. The thing I do know is that he's shaving his arms.
Dyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
NeonRainDrop
Sabaku Sousou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn
My friend is going as Gaara... I'll talk to him about it. The thing I do know is that he's shaving his arms.
ooo thanks. Yeah. Shaving arms for cosplay is always a good thing.. esp. if you're cosplaying a kid, like Gaara.
Unread 06-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
mister_x
jet-rocker

the hardest part is making the gourd and the strap. beyond that the rest of the costume isn't too hard to put together.

i'm helping my friend with his gaara cosplay and doing the mache for the gourd is the most frustrating part.

for the strap, you could use a weight training belt, he got his from a thrift store so it looked like it had been used for a long time, unfortunately it was also kinked in two places because it had been folded for so long.

good luck.
Unread 06-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #5
red-Otaku
Shino For President

ok, the costume itself doesn't look too hard to make. The first step would be finding some really good referance pics. They will be your best friend. From there hit fabric stores to find the colors/styles you are looking for, price around unless money isn't an option. Look for patterns you could use or alter to make each piece. For the headand I suggest one of bamph's because, quite frankly, they are the best that I have seen (even to the officially licensed ones from japan, but they don't make those in sand village I don't think) the gourd, once again if you have the cash, go to fantasyprops, he has an AMAZING copy of the gourd which I would love to own just for the show value. The sash is easy, just a red sash and you wrap it around the gourd. Hope that helps some. If you need ref pics, lemme know.
red-Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
Kaori-chan
Villainy at its Finest

Actually I have an idea for the gourd that would work fairly well, I think. Have you ever made one of those easter egg baskets in school using a balloon and paper-mache? You inflate a balloon, put paper-mache over it, let it dry, and stick it with a pin to pop the balloon. Then you do whatever else you need to do to it. For the gourd, instead of a baloon, use one of those big rubber balls you can get at Kmart, or even a cheap beach ball, for each section, and stick them together. Then mess around with it until you like it. The only problem with this is you'll need to use *tons* of paper-mache in order to make the gourd stable enough to actually use. Hope that helped, though....
Kaori-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
Shanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonRainDrop
I have decided on going to cosplay as Gaara. Well, I put up an ad in classified, and the spam board for anyone who would sell me a new/used Gaara costume, but no one has replied. So I'm going to try to make a Gaara costume myself.

I don't know how to go about constructing Gaara's costume, however. Can someone give me a few tips or suggestions?
You can find many pictures at www.narutoex.com . As for the costume..

Well, I don't know fabrics. But, his costume for me is easy to make. Uh.. The net shirt you could probably find in a place like Hot Topic (bane of most people).

That tatoo on his forhead you can either have a friend ink on you, or you could get a tatoo temp. For that, go to www.****.com Their prices a BIT steep though. Oh- and the temp tatoo supposedly lasts up to a week, you know how those are. u_u. The sash, im not sure if it is white or red. But take a nice long piece of cloth and wrap it around yourself. You might wanna sew the edges of it to keep it from.. uh.. Well, lets just say slowly lose itself.

The shoes and main outfit, you're gonna have to go at it yourself. Unless you wanna talk to me on AIM, then maybe I could help you out with a pattern of some sort.

Either way, Good Luck. And if you want my Screen Name, just PM me.

On an Edit; You could try Gaara's "debt to the leaf" look. I like it. And it doesnt require the shaving of one's arms.