Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 06-19-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Kaze

Ganguro Makeup anyone?

I think this should be fairly simple to figure out but I'm really makeup retarded. I don't wear it at all on a normal basis. Anyway, for the upcoming FFBall I'd like to do a ganguro girl but I'm having trouble figuring out their makeup technique!! I've tried shiney white powders and it just isn't cutting it. Looks chalky.

So any suggestions?

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/...osplay/gan.jpg
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
PapaPanda
To the Rescue!

If you haven't been already, go to: www.ricoche.net
It's a great website for fans of Japanese fashion. Under Forums look for the Shibuya 109 forum and you'll meet all kinds of people into Ganguro, Manba, etc. I'm sure someone there could help you out. At the very least, you'll find a ton of pictures from the latest issues of Cawaii, Egg, etc. ...sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
PapaPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
Fatwetdog
The smallest violin

Urban decay makes a good line of metallics. Their liquid metallic eyeliner doesn't go anywhere. It's like glue.
Fatwetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
Hinata
Mugen, eh? I'd hit that.

One of my best friends is a Ganguro. It's not really popular anymore, as it used to be.Do not wear white lipstick. That's a misconception. It's Yamanba that wear the really hideous makeup. So, there's different levels of Ganguro fashion. I'm guessing you want the generic type, but here are the different styles.

This is Ganguro. No white lipstick, but shimmer eye-makeup, thin eyebrows, and false eyelashes. usually just a pink gloss on the lips. Hair colour can range from brown to platinum blonde. Use lots of highlighting, because as you can see, ganguro girls are very.. shiny. ^^;;

This however, is Yamanba. Crazy white makeup everywhere, and usually they have silver/white hair. False eyelashes as well. Which look were you going for?

Last edited by Hinata : 06-19-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Hinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 12:31 AM   #5
PorcelainSakura
ne? ne?

I suggest EGG magazine, super helpful with GAL makeup. Let me try to scan some....
Unread 06-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
Kaze

I'm aiming more for the Yamanba look actually. Sorry I didn't specify n__n;;
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
megumibish
I should be drawing Yaoi.

I suggest getting some of those cream shadow pencils..and using those first as a base. In either silver, white or blue and then go over it heavily with powder shadow. Trust me this will give you a an extremely thick opaque shadow. Oh yeah putting lil gems around the face would be really cute. That and some chrome eyeliner that can be bought at walgreens would do you good. If your skilled enough with the liner I tend to use black liner and then use the silver right above it for a ganguro look. Instead of white lipstick I tend to get those purple lipsticks in the perlescent sheen. It's enough to add onto the ganguro look with out looking insane locally.
^_^ hopes this helps. And don't forget to tease the hair. =P
Unread 03-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
*Jibrielle*
彡☆WEEEE☆彡

This is an old thread but I just found it

I have some scans from EGG magazine that have tutorials on how to do the make up ^^

Image credit: Ricoche
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1JulyEgg06-med.jpg (58.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1Manba44-med.jpg (54.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1Manba47-vi.jpg (52.3 KB, 0 views)
Unread 04-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
Radical_Ed

Wow! I've never seen such great makeup! ^^ Mine was a last-minute ordeal for Tekkoshocon *sniff* Hopefully I can perfect it for next year
Radical_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
*Jibrielle*
彡☆WEEEE☆彡

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Ed
Wow! I've never seen such great makeup! ^^ Mine was a last-minute ordeal for Tekkoshocon *sniff* Hopefully I can perfect it for next year
I cant see a close-up picture of your face but I love your ganguro costume, its so colorful! ^^
Unread 06-24-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
Radical_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jibrielle*
I cant see a close-up picture of your face but I love your ganguro costume, its so colorful! ^^
Eheh, basically thats what it looked like up close..smudgy. XD I didn't have the best 'tools' I guess you could say to pull it off. ^^;;
Radical_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2005, 12:46 AM   #12
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

More about Ganguro and Yamanba:

http://www.japan-101.com/culture/gan...hion_trend.htm
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2807

Yes, I know the 2nd link is at Somethingawful, but it's still kind of an interesting read, and there are quite a lot of pictures...

As a non-blond non-tanning actual Californian, I am bemused...

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 06-25-2005 at 03:08 AM.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #13
Rogue-dono
Busy Cosplayer

I am a manba, myself, and I say that you should use white concealer. First off, yamanba is dead now too, and it is called manba now, which is a bit more watered down. The white make should be blended in better around the edges to match more to your skin tone, and do not use stickers as they are out of fashion and no longer cute. the panda look is still in, so you can use liquid liner to create your droopy eyes. Use fake lashes and dont forget to use some sort of tan make on you since it is a 'black face gyaru' style.

Manba is a very fun style, even if it is just for cosplay, but even if you cosplay, make sure to do your research right or dedicated western galsaa gyarus will riducule you, behind your back or to your face. Unfortunately, many western gyarus are mean like that and cant get off the high horse for a newbie. I myself dont approve of the cosplaying-gyaru style, but I will help you with this because it really is a nice way to go! =^.^=

If you ever need any questions answered in the future about gyaru/manba/yamanba/ganguro fashion, you can ask me anytime! ^.^ I will always be willing to help! ^.^

-Mimiru

Official Facebook
Rogue-dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #14
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

darling, although you provided some really good info, please don't resurrect threads like this. especially ones from four years ago.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote