Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeNEXT

Unread 06-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Ginnychan
Gundamning it up

A small request - Watch what you say

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a good time at Anime Next, and that if you didn't, you make sure your ideas for improvement are heard, so that next year, the con can be better.

But I have a small request - I've noticed many people have been saying things like "This person didn't deserve to win" or "These judges didn't know what they're doing" or "These staffers sucked."

I am 101% for opinions and expressing them! But please remember - many people on this board were at the convention themselves, and were among the winners, the judges, and the staffers people are complaining about.

I can understand complaining and venting about bad staffers, they shouldn't behave that way. But as for the judges and the winners...Please be nice, people. The judges all have their own reasons for picking who they did, and some of those reasons might require an extremely close view, inspection, and analyzation on the costume or skit, something which very few people besides the judges get to do. The winners, whether you realize it or not, all worked really hard themselves to do whatever it is they did. You don't know everything that they did, and that they went through to pull together their costume,presentation, etc. I'm sorry if you feel that you should have recieved an award - believe me, I know how you feel, I've been through it many times myself. But there is a reason for everything, and if you didn't win here, there will be other times. Nobody has talked about me personally (...yet), but I know I would be extremely hurt if someone said those sort of things to me, particularly if they don't know whole story about what I went through to get my awards.

Anyway, this is just a request for people to 1) Be polite when expressing their opinions and 2) Keep in mind that the person you are writing about might be reading what you say. I'm not in any way saying do not express your opinions or vent your frustrations, but please watch how you are doing it.

Unread 06-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
sailorrikku
Behind you!

You have a point
sailorrikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Maester Seymour
Ate Your Grandmother

Thank you.
Ikkicon

New Cosplays for '10 (subject to change):
8th Division Captain Shunsui Kyoraku // Bleach
Van Fanel // Escaflowne (maybe)

Check Out My Cosplay Site!:
http://www.rebirth.tetsunosuke.com/Mseymour (Moving/Old)
Maester Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Thanks for pointing all that out. I am getting tired of the con drama and how people are treating each other. Cosplay=fun, not criticism and bashing. Can everyone just try and get along?
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
visulstimultion
The Chibi one

God Gin, i couldn't agree with you more. i think everybody who won did a damn good job on their skits and their costumes. i hate when a masquerade becomes pollitical and biased and i think everybody had an equally fair chance at Animenext. congratulations to the winners, and excellent job to everyone who participated, because you sure as hell have ALOT more guts for even entering than i ever will.
visulstimultion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Well I posted the things I found were wrong with aN on my own thread and they were of all different school, so that's cool. But what I forgot to do is give props to said G-Chan, who managed to rock both the masquerade and the AMVs. Congrads again, both of ur works rock, but reminder, u and ur Bf are mine once I get that Bebop skit up and running one of these years,lol.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #7
Jrocker_Dix
Jrock is love. XD

You have great points, and I agree with you.. I wish some cosplay outfits were given more credit for the hard work put into them, but then again, if a person is particularly pissed, there isn't much helping the fact they'd want to vent it.

Thanks for making the post tho. ^^
Jrocker_Dix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
Poisonous Intent
Sweet Poison

I think all the winners extremely deserved their awards and that the judges made all the right decisions. Most of the people who were bashing the judges either were jealous or worked extremely hard on there skit and where disappoionted. Congratulations on best presentation!
Poisonous Intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
VampyreMiyu
Castlevania Fan Girl

Thanks! I know I was a little upset by some of the remarks and they were only for the Masquerade judging. Hall costumes hasn't gotten bashed yet but we're due for something.

~Valerie
VampyreMiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
Ginnychan
Gundamning it up

Thanks to those who agree, although it's sad to wake up and find more posts where people continue the rudeness.

It's very sad, but I experienced and witnessed more rudeness at this convention then I had ever seen at any other. I personally did not experience a lot of staff rudeness, but I've heard stories. I've also heard stories about attendees being rude to staffers. Not to mention several people made remarks that I did not think were necessary. One Sanosuke had the balls to go up to my boyfriend and say "Yeah, I'd make such a better Sanji then you." And now all the drama over the winners.

Was there something in the water at the hotel (when you could get it?)

But on another note...Thank you to everyone who congradulated me....Saturday night was a stunning night for me. And Chris, you totally have us for the Bebop skit!!
Unread 06-22-2004, 06:17 PM   #11
tempest_strife
.Hacker

Thank you. I'm almost afraid to say anything at this point for fear of being ripped apart... I'm working of typing an in deph legnthy summary of how things went down, so please be patient... And don't hurt me...
But your voice will still remember our melody..."-Melodies of Life, Final Fantasy IX

Will this ever really get old?
A lot is two words. TWO WORDS!!!!!
tempest_strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 07:45 PM   #12
Mythril
The Mythril Rose

I was really proud of anyone who had the guts to even get up on stage - I don't have the boldness required... But I am really proud of the winners! People are always going to be frustrated if THEY didn't win though -- you are damned if you and damned it you don't - know what I mean?

-- BUT... i won't stop to say that the con was poorly organized, and SOME of the staffers were just plain mean. (while others couldn't do enough for you)... but it comes with the con, you know? Any con is going to have its goods and bads...

lol, and Ginny, I think we were stuck in the elevator a few times together! lol... i was the girl in pink with the funky stuffed animal traveling with the boy with a big white bow and giant moon staff
Mythril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #13
Lil
Esquire

See... instead of getting angry and loud the staffers should have used their heads.

EX.... Single file masquerade line:

Problem= changing a wall of people into a single file line.

Solutions=
1. should have had rope and sign set up a head of time.

2. Instead of shouting for people to squeeze in when there was no room, Have 1 person Move the person of the back of the line down. During have 2 more people moving people in politly : "ok can you move in here? How many to your group? Can you all squeeze in this gap?" As space becomes available.
Unread 06-22-2004, 10:31 PM   #14
Silence Glaive
Professor Kitty

Ginny- Thank you for backing our decisions. The awards were not easy to decide on this year, there were many skits that deserved to win, but I feel the 4 of us made the right decisions.

On the subject of the delays and lines, we have already begun planning the necessary improvements.

Creator of Anime Parliament (R)
www.animeparliament.com
Silence Glaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 11:15 PM   #15
neoangelwink
waiting

very will said. also con grate great job ^_^ really in joy amv and skit.
neoangelwink is offline   Reply With Quote