Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-22-2004, 05:59 AM   #1
taryn
The Cat's Meow

Cosplay Stores In Japan

Hey!

I was just wondering if anybody knew where some cosplay stores were in Japan because I am kinda in the country right now. I am staying about 30 to 40 minutes away from Tokyo in the Saitama area but I will be going to Tokyo in a few days. I have heard that in Akihabara that there are a couple but that seems kinda odd since they are known for there electronics and such. Cosplay just doesn't seem to fit...but yeah, if anyone knows or has an address of some sort please tell me! I really wanted to get something while I am here. Arigatou Gozaimsau!

Taryn
taryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2004, 06:13 AM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Akihabara has a couple of cosplay cafes, as well as a COSPA location that I know of. Animate usually sells some merchandise, but nothing like a COSPA. The cospa webpage is www.cospa.com (here for the locations:http://www.cospa.com/cospaguide/englishguide.html). There's also a store called Cosmint... I think www.cosmint.co.jp. There's probably many, many more that I don't know of, or have any idea how to look up.

Harajuku has a lot of gothic and gothic lolita stores, and on Sundays, people like to dress up as goths, j-rockers, lolitas (pretty much anything) and hang out on the bridge on the way to the shrine (Meiji-jingu, I think). It's neat to see. There's also a gothic shopping mall in Shinjuku, the 0101. Not cosplay, but gothic/punk gear. Some of it's pretty cool; it's got an H.Naoto store in there too.

How long will you be in Japan? There's a few conventions, and August Comiket is coming up (I'm think I'm going to go).

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 06:47 AM   #3
RinbuRevolution
Utena junkie

This is one cosplaylab recommends

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/bo...=JAEN&wb_dis=2

They have a lot of nice stuff...
RinbuRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 01:42 AM   #4
UtenaOhtori
*° Amai Rakuen made... °*

If you're looking for Cospa, there are many of them in the Tokyo area, the best ones are the one in Shibuya and the one in Nakano imo.
The Nakano one is into Nakano Broadway and is part of Mandarake, so if you ask around they're going to point it to you!
The Shibuya one...hmmm...it's rather difficult to explain^^; If you go to the location page that Eleryth pointed out, there's a map of it, if you have difficulties I can help you out! ^-^

If you're looking for a place to buy material, I strongly suggest Okadaya Shinjuku: it's a store that sells in one 7-stored building sewing material/make-up/wigs/beads/etc...and in another 5-stored building next to the first every kind of cloth you can think of. It's in Shinjuku, going out from Shinjuku JR station East exit, you'll find a square in front of you and a crossing. On the opposite side there's Alta, a store with lots of youngsters in front^^; . On Alta's left there's a small street, get into that one and on the right you'll find Okadaya! (I'm not good at explaining places, sorry..)

If you're searching for anything specific just let me know! ^-^
UtenaOhtori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #5
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Yeah I'd have to say Cospa would be your best bet. I need to find out if there are any in Aomori. I'm moving there in a month and a half. I hadn't even thought about that yet. Cospa has some good stuff so I might have to take a trip on a sleeper train and plan a little Tokyo vacation in the winter.

Event Calendar:
Megacon - Florida, USA: March
Bay Area Renaissance Festival - Florida, USA: March
Sun n' Fun International Fly-In and Expo - Florida, USA: April
Comic Market 86 - Tokyo, Japan: August
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 04:06 AM   #6
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I believe I can answer your question - I have yet to find a COSPA in Aomoriken. There are a few Animates, though (other merch, usually - books, toys, etc); one in Hachinohe and the other in Aomorishi. I think there's only COSPAs down south.

Sent you a PM, too, with more "information". You won't need a sleeper train... I've never taken one, and I don't know if there are any! Usually I go by overnight bus. Travel to Tokyo, you'll find out, is expensive no matter how you go. Plane, shinkansen, and night bus all cost about the same (but bus is cheapest, plane is fastest, shinkansen in the middle, depending on where you are).

Unread 06-23-2004, 06:32 AM   #7
UtenaOhtori

If I recall well, there's one Cospa in Sapporo and one in Sendai, but that's all for Nord. Cospa has most of its stores in Tokyo and and some in Osaka and Fukuhoka (always if my memory is still good at all^^; ).

Eleryth if you're going to be at Comiket it'd be cool to meet! ^-^
Unread 06-23-2004, 08:16 AM   #8
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Sweet, yes! I'm planning on going! We should have a meetup. Tsumanne should come too!

I think I'll go see if there's a thread in the "other conventions", and if not, I'll make one!

I figured Sendai would have one. That's fairly far away still - if I'm going that far, I might as well go to Tokyo! I like making my own stuff, anyway. I didn't have time to check out Sapporo when I was there - Snow Festival (yukimatsuri), Sapporo Beer Gardens, and Iseya Chocolate Factory. All in less than 24 hours.

Unread 06-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
UtenaOhtori

Great!! International cosplayers meeting!! *(^0^)*

If you're willing to travel, then I think that going to Tokyo's Cospas is surely better, Sendai's one, from what my friends told me, most times runs out of sizes/accessories and doesn't get "updated" often...
Since you (like me) prefer making your own outfits, I really suggest that you take a look at Okadaya, it has everything you need, and expecially wigs and make-up that you also find in Cospa, in Okadaya are less pricey and of huger quality! ^____-
Unread 06-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
Tsumanne
History Nerd

Oh yeah I'd be all over Comiket. How could I live in Japan and at least not go once. Ahh the Sapporo Beer Gardens sounds like another little trip I'll have to take. I prefer to make my own stuff, but I don't have a sewing machine yet and my skills are limited to Alterations so I some times will buy a part that I can't make and do the rest myself.

Event Calendar:
Megacon - Florida, USA: March
Bay Area Renaissance Festival - Florida, USA: March
Sun n' Fun International Fly-In and Expo - Florida, USA: April
Comic Market 86 - Tokyo, Japan: August
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #11
taryn
The Cat's Meow

Hey

Finally managed to get online to actually check this forum! Im only in Japan until July 3rd. So I dont believe I will be around for the upcoming conventions. I would love to go though.

I looked up CoSPA locations and there is one in Shinjuku and Shibuya.

Address for anyone who wants them:

Hagiwara Bld. 2F, 5-3 Maruyama-cho Shibuya-ku Tokyo

and

Marui One Shinjuku, 4F, 3-5-6 Shinjuku Shinjuku-ku Tokyo
Unread 06-24-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
Drackt
Loves guyliner. Too much.

Oh man, I so wish I was going to Japan soon....

You know, someone should make a J-Pop Culture travel guide...I don't know about the forthcoming "Let's Go Japan", but besides "Cosplay Girls", I really want to see more of these types of things mentioned there...BTW, I think Moi-Meme-Moitie is in Marui-One.....

Completed cosplays (from last fall to now)-
Rumpelstiltskin-Red/Black outfit...always in progress (Once Upon A Time)
Rumpelstiltskin-Alchemist outfit (Once Upon A Time)
Rapunzel

In Progress-
Cinderella
Vampire Girl (Original)

Planned-
Too much, but I've had to put it on hold due to reasons beyond my control. However, I'm attempting to recreate Leezar's wardrobe from "Your Highness"...one down, four to go.
Drackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 06:05 AM   #13
UtenaOhtori

Quote:
Originally Posted by taryn
Marui One Shinjuku, 4F, 3-5-6 Shinjuku Shinjuku-ku Tokyo
Be careful to know that when I went away last September, MaruiOne's Cospa wasn't selling costumes anymore, but only merchandize. They may have changed that, but from what the ten'in told me, that was a definitive change...so you may make a trip there for nothing, but inside Marui there are all the nice G&L shops and I'm sure you'll have fun!! ^________-
Unread 06-30-2004, 08:40 PM   #14
taryn
The Cat's Meow

Actually as far as I can tell the Marui One no longer exsists. My friends and I looked everywhere for it. We got directions from the interenet, we used three different kinds of maps, we got directions from people on the street and a police officer and still NOTHING!

I was very sad. I did however manage to find a store called Mandarake in Shibuya that had some amazing costumes. Some of the staff even have to dress up. It's in the basement floor of a giant Beam building which is kind of near the Tokyo tower. If you want to find it there is map right as you are leaving the train station. I cant remember the exit but its where ever the Hachiko dog statue is. Anyway, that map will direct you to the Beam building. Its really easy to find!

I havent bought a costume but I did unload a far amount of cash on a Gothic Lolita outfit that I adore!! Ah well....I leave Saturday
Unread 08-02-2004, 12:01 AM   #15
JadeOceans

Hello! I've been to this site before, but this is the first time in the forums for me. I stumbled onto this page while looking for fabric shops and cosplay supply shops in Japan. I'm outside of Tokyo and here until next spring and while I didn't bring any of my costumes with me (a shame, but I only had so much room in my suitcase and I didn't think I'd get the chance to use them), I'd love to try to go to a convention while I'm here. Are there any others besides the above mentioned Comiket 66, especially in the Tokyo area, that anyone knows of? I appreciate the help!

I know this thread is a bit old, but hopefully I'll still get some replies. ^__^
JadeOceans is offline   Reply With Quote