Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 06-23-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
dchan
Disney Princess

Question Masq Question!

On average, what percentage of convention attendees attend the masquerade? (as audience members)

-D
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

It depends on the convention. I would say that I would say about 10 to 25 percent if I base on my observations so far. It depends on the individual convention and it's general interest in costuming.

Don't let the small number fool you though. 10 percent at a very large convention is a pretty darn good audience. Say you have an attendance of 5000...ten percent of that is 500 people, which doesn't count as being a small crowd

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
dchan
Disney Princess

Thanks ^_^

Anyone else?

I have a feeling that a few of my friends will make some of the con very interested.... (not to be sexist...but its population mostly consists of fanboys and my friends are notorious for skimpy outfits). Lol ^^;;

The reason I ask is I'm doing research for the Convention Chair of a con that's just a few years old and looking to add a costume contest and he wanted to know what to expect, so if anyone else has any other opinions or agrees/disagrees... please post ^^
Unread 06-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
xie-chan
Suzaku Sichiseishi

I went to a newer con (it was in it's fourth year and prolly had about 1500ish people) and I'd guess that probably most of them came to or participated in the masq. If there's nothing scheduled opposite of it, it'll prolly be a good bit.
Unread 06-24-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
dchan
Disney Princess

We're at a gaming convention, so I do have the list of games that will be taking place in what Im assuming is going to be our cosplay block.

Battletech
Send More Brains
Circus Maximus
Axis & Allies Revised Tournament
Warhammer 40K RTT

Their blocks are each four hours long, we're still working out details, but I'm assuming that we'd be in the 5-9 block. So that gives us set-up time, the show, and then pleanty of time for photo-ops/Q&A/etc. afterwards.
Unread 06-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
sephygoth
Hater lover

Mmmmm percents

I found it's been a lot more for the convention attend, like a 3rd or more:
anime next had like 2000 people and the masquerade fit about 1000 in there.
The small Bakuretsucon in VT had about 300(?) and at least 100 were in the room/ doorways(trying to see). And the Otakon...I have no idea how many can fit, but there were a few thousand(might be that 10% at that point). Anime boston was filled (in every way) but it was probably a quarter of the attendees. If it sounds like I'm really exarting(anyone)please tell me!
The more that go, like yourselves, the
higher the participation is, so go for it
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
Xanthix
Webmonkey Extraordinaire

Anime Central has about 7500 registered guests this year, and I think about 2000 attended the masquerade. They don't count people coming to see the masquerade, but I think the room seats 2000.
Unread 06-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #8
Mr. Lupin
Uncle Lupin

Anime Expo has to sell advance tickets , to keep the Masquerade from overselling you have to get the tickets and wait in line at least 5 hours while evryone that wants to attend gets their seating tickets. How many cosplayers actually attend it? I'd say 50-70% of them do, as Anime Expo masqerade night lines to get in , is becoming the time when the A-list costumes are being worn. (probably to take advantage of the press photographers waiting to photograph masquerade entrees)
Unread 06-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Wakusei
Kaizoku no Oujisama

Lots of people actually show up on the day the masquerade takes place just to watch it, atleast that has been my experience. I enjoy watching the skits, as do many others. Unfortunately sometimes the folks who participate in the masquerade miss out on watching the skits.

- on another note, I have a petition to try to get 4 Kids entertainment to release a dual language version of One Piece when the DVDs are released. Please take the time to look it over, the link is in my signature.
Wakusei is offline   Reply With Quote