Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 06-24-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
kiwi
DATURA

fast ways to make fringe?

There's a costume I've been wanting to make for about 5 years now, and I've finally decided that next month it's going into production. I just pulled up some DVD caps, though, and realized that the entire bottom hem of the semi-full skirt is fringed. It's not in a color I can buy premade, and the only way I know how to make fringe from regular cotton fabric is the old 'turn under, turn under, fold in half and sew' route, which is *really* time consumming, and would be prohibitively time consumming for that much fringe.

I don't want to use ribbon and I won't make raw-edged fringe. Any help? -_-;
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Is it possible to dye one of the existing fringe colors to match what you're after? That would probably be one of the easiest things to do, but it would take some trial and error. Personally, I think I'd rather have coloring trial and error than sewing trial and error...but that's me.

I don't undestand the fringe directions you have, but then I've never made it. I'm not even sure if the fringe I picture in my head is the same thing. I'm really curious though, what costume you're making.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
KireiChibi
Justice is sexy.

I agree with Eleryth - if you can find something fringey in a cotton, expecially, dyeing would be a quicker route than making yourself, though it may take a little experimentation.

A pic might help! Is it a leathery type fringe or stringy fringe? Either way I'm sure you could fake it.

Another option is to find a knit fabric (they don't really ravel, though they can curl a bit) that fits the color you need, cut a long strip slightly wider than the length of fringe you need, and simply snip the fringe pieces with scissors - leaving a solid strip at the top, of course, so you can sew it into the skirt. If this doesn't create a dense-enough fringe, you can just layer the strips to make it look fuller. Like I mentioned, knits can curl a bit, so figure out in which grain direction it tends to curl and cut parallel to it - if you cut perpendicular to the grain, the fringe would curl up on itself rather than vertically along the fringe pieces.

Another possible option, though probably not ideal, would be to buy fabric in the color you need (preferably in a heat-stable non-stretchy material) and use fusible webbing/interfacing to stabilize the fabric, then snip into fringe - I used fusible stuff to stick trim on my Belldandy cosplay jacket, and even though I made the trim from cotton, after the webbing was on, it never frayed. Of course, it wasn't dangling like your fringe would be, so this is only an oblique thought.

Good luck!
KireiChibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
kiwi
DATURA

Whoops, looks like what I was looking at wasn't art directly from the movie, but poster or Newtype or other art of some sort because I just capped the DVD myself and there's no fringe ^^; (must've been too hard to animate, as in all the original art it is all fringe-ified on the sleeves and hem).

At any rate, I'm not doing anything fancy, just Nausicaa's blue dress (this one --> [url] ) I've had the technical skill to make this dress ever since I first wanted to make it (about 5 or 6 years ago ^^; ) I just never got around to it... I suppose I'll just go with the fringe-less version that's actually in the movie. As much as I like Miyazaki's original art, fringe is a pain and it's not really my style anyway.

Last edited by kiwi : 02-10-2008 at 07:10 PM.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote