Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > San Diego Comic Con

Unread 06-25-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Best/Worst place to take your costume?

Where's the best and worst places to be if you're in costume?

I'm pretty sure that the dealer's room can be mighty uncomfortable at times, but I'm curious as to whether there are any other places to note. For example, are there particular areas that are always congested, or places that are good to go to get out of the way of the tromping crowds? How about shortcuts/longcuts that will say, help with avoiding the heat if I'm in a warm outfit? Or even to avoid the majority of people while transporting a Masquerade costume?

(I'll have an opaque garment bag that my costume will be in by then, but in case I'm scrambling at the last moment and need to say, put on some of my makeup before I get there, the sneak-ways would be nice to know)

Only 27 more days. My word I'm fretful... !!

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
KelBebop
As you were...

In my experience, most places at the con were okay for costumes. Even when it's packed, there's lots of room. The exhibit hall is HUGE, so there are lots of quiet nooks you can duck into when you need to get away.

In the exhibit hall, there's a pretty large snack bar area with tables, too. When I needed a break, I would get an iced tea, take off my frock coat and have a seat. 'Twas nice.

One thing I would DEFINITELY advise: wear civvies when you go to pick up your badge at con registration. The lines can be REALLY long, and sometimes outside, so be comfortable.

All good things,
Kel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany
Where's the best and worst places to be if you're in costume?

I'm pretty sure that the dealer's room can be mighty uncomfortable at times, but I'm curious as to whether there are any other places to note. For example, are there particular areas that are always congested, or places that are good to go to get out of the way of the tromping crowds? How about shortcuts/longcuts that will say, help with avoiding the heat if I'm in a warm outfit? Or even to avoid the majority of people while transporting a Masquerade costume?

(I'll have an opaque garment bag that my costume will be in by then, but in case I'm scrambling at the last moment and need to say, put on some of my makeup before I get there, the sneak-ways would be nice to know)

Only 27 more days. My word I'm fretful... !!
Unread 06-25-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
Rogue Marvel
Pirate Love

when in the dealers hall i would recomend staying on the sides or by the big booths were this is lots of room.

The hall may be huge but there are alot of people and some areas are a little more then cramped.

The worst places are the areas where all the little local comic shop booths are, but thats all shoved in one area (on the right side i think) and its easy to get around that whoel area.

I god idea might be to wear a people friendly costume ot street clothes your firt time around the dealers hall to get a general idea of what its going to be like and so you knwo what areas you want to avoid later
Rogue Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Marvel
I god idea might be to wear a people friendly costume ot street clothes your firt time around the dealers hall to get a general idea of what its going to be like and so you knwo what areas you want to avoid later
I'm getting in Thursday, and will HOPEFULLY get to SD in time to pick my badge up then. If I do that, I should be in semi-civvyness.

Otherwise, I'm crawling out of bed early on Friday morning, sneaking to get my badge, then running back to the hotel to change...

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

Unread 06-25-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
BlueLady
slightly distracted

Beware of props.. It really crowded in some areas and people do not have a great deal of respect for your props. I actually dont have alot of problems aside from people grabbing my ass or something * eye roll*
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLady
Beware of props.. It really crowded in some areas and people do not have a great deal of respect for your props. I actually dont have alot of problems aside from people grabbing my ass or something * eye roll*
I told someone that the costume that would most likely get me grabbed is the one with the metal on one arm (Dawn...)...so that would be a bad idea. *LOL*

Thankfully my only real prop is Lucius' cane...that doesn't get in the way of anybody, and if anything, it's sturdy enough for me to lean on if I have to (I've done it, actually).

Go E6000!

2013 Events:

Unread 06-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
Reaver
Take What You Can

I dunno, Ive never been to SDCC b4! XD
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 11:22 AM   #8
Sana-chan
I know, right?

I've never had a problem moving around in the exhibit hall with and without props... and I've been going to Comic Con since 1998. I've found that to be the best place to wear your costume because that's where everyone is and stuff.
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
Reno_kun
who ya gonna call?

you see when some one graps your ass go as casey jones the next day. j/k no I really dun have a problem with anything there except smeely fan boys.. god.. anyways I have to cut this post short.
Unread 07-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #10
jetspectacular
Barrel Roll to Evade

the dealer's room has been expanded extensively since like 2 years ago, but it's still *very* crowded around the indie booths and aisles. But the best place to meet with people/chill/mess around and take pics is the Mezzanine level on the second floor-- It's outside and has plenty of tables, stairs, balconies and views to make you forget you're in the middle of some 12k people...! though you shouldn't try to relax there when the Imperial Army marches up though...! Mess level si also easy to find.. you go into the con one of two ways-- either through thirdfloor sails pavillion or firstfloor A entrance, and there's only One side leading from the dealers room to third floor.. on the way you pass nice glass doors opposite of an overpriced pizza-vendor-wall, that's the Mezz "patio" and it's huge and lovely.

That kinda makes it a nice meeting place, since the sails pavillion on the third floor is usually also the autoraph/registration/info area.
Unread 07-16-2004, 04:08 PM   #11
Scruffy Rebel
Nerfherder

I love being in the exhibit hall, especially for costumes that get you hot easily. It's a death trap to be anywhere in the isles or inner part of the show floor though...highly not recommended! The perimeter of the exhibit hall or right outside it are some great places to be. But yes, definitely don't be in small aisles. If you get stopped for pics, the booth people tend to get pissy after awhile because you're blocking traffic.

~Oracle

K.Y.O. Cosplay Member
Scruffy Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #12
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

Last year was my first year and we managed to find the places to rest, mainly because my boyfriend wasn't feeling too well and he needed air. We ended up going all the way down to the end of the convention center (underneath the video rooms where they showed anime last year...eh I don't know how to describe it...say far left if you're standing infront of it...) and sitting there on a little bench. We couldn't go outside much since it was rainy and wet. But when we did in late afternoon/early evening we hung out out back, looking out over the bay (see this picture).

*shrugs* This year though I hope to spend more time inside and get more than the 2 pics taken that I had last year. Lol, but I'll be in a real costume, so that'll help. ^_^ Thankfully it's easy to wear and won't get in my (well except for maybe the sleeves) or anyone elses way.
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #13
KrzyaziaN
megamanchi, I got im!!

In terms of reading this thread, I now realise how stupid I am.

Quote:
Beware of props.. It really crowded in some areas and people do not have a great deal of respect for your props. I actually dont have alot of problems aside from people grabbing my ass or something * eye roll
*By [/b]Blue Lady.

Basically, I'm going as megaman, in a way, my entire body will be a prop. And this is no "fabric" megaman, this is full on plastic. Bulky plastic. There better be plenty of elevaters or you can make a television series on me getting up the stars. At least I won't have to worry about people grabbing my ass, since I'll have a nice sheet of plastic blocking their way. Oh ya, another television series, me trying to sit down. Am I screwed or what?