Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Unread 12-01-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
HappyCLAMPer

Question CLAMP Cosplaying

Hi. I am a guy and I am definitely planning on cosplaying as Ascot from Magic Knight Rayearth and Makoto Mizuhara from El Hazard (complete with Ura vest). Id like to ask CLAMP fans: What is the ideal material to use for Ascot's costume? I was thinking of silk. Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what material I can use to make the green gems on his costume. I was thinking of taking shing green Martha Stewart Christmas ornaments and cutting them in half. What do you think?
HappyCLAMPer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
scandia
Overachiever

For the dark green hat velvet would work well. For the suit use satin or silk either for the white parts OR for the non-white parts. Satin reflects a lot of light and it can be overpowering in pics if you use it for everything. For Emeraude's green gems- well, I use satin ribbon, the thick one that is sold for like hem/interface in a package. They are flat, but uber comfortable and very classy looking instead of tacky. And the emerald shade is the right color.
Unread 12-01-2002, 11:08 PM   #3
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

For the dark green hat velvet would work well. For the suit use satin or silk either for the white parts OR for the non-white parts. Satin reflects a lot of light and it can be overpowering in pics if you use it for everything.

Not to mention it's damn hard to sew with and rather unforgiving if you make mistakes. And prone to wrinkling. (So if you're going to use it, you might want to use it sparsely.)

For the gems, I would recommend buying polystyrene (hard styrofoam) balls at Joann's Fabrics and slicing them in half (this method creates two gems) Paint over the domed surface with a metallic acrylic paint and then cover that with a satin finish acrylic varnish. (The nice thingsabout polystyrene is that it's pretty sturdy, easily gluable and (if you want a sturdier hold) you can poke needles through it to sew it to whatever it is you want to attach it to. And it comes in a lot of sizes too.

Amethyst's Prop Blog
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cosplayer's Prop and Armor Compendium
I'VE NOW GOT STYRENE FOR SALE!!
Check out my NEW ETSY STORE!
Amethyst Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 01:07 PM   #4
HappyCLAMPer

Smile Thanks...

Thank you for the advice, Amethyst Angel and scandia.

Amethyst, I will definitely use polysterene balls for my costume. Thank you for sharing with me how to fix my gems onto my costume. You were very specific and I appreciate it.

Scandia, I agree with you that velvet would work best for Ascot's black hat. I will buy lots when there is another fabric sale. I already have a white cotton/ polyester toga....so I will definitely use satin for the green trimmings of the costume. Thanks so much for the advice!

Oh...and Amethyst Angel, I noticed that you did an Ifurita costume once. Thats so cool. I love your costume. Im also going to be Makoto Mizuhara (complete with Ura vest, hopefully talking...if and when I get the microphone adjusted) for Anime Expo 2003.

Last edited by HappyCLAMPer : 12-02-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Unread 12-08-2002, 07:29 PM   #5
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

I cosplayed as Sorata from X

i walked around with my Arashi ufo catcher doll calling her babe
DJ(SiC)ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 12:39 AM   #6
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Oh...and Amethyst Angel, I noticed that you did an Ifurita costume once. Thats so cool. I love your costume. Im also going to be Makoto Mizuhara (complete with Ura vest, hopefully talking...if and when I get the microphone adjusted) for Anime Expo 2003.

Well, the only cons I'll probably be able to go to this year are Anime Central and Anime Iowa. (Too bad we don't have a con round where I live in the Twin Cities...yet.)

Oh, and I'm SO happy! I finally found round plastic spheres that I could cut holes in and slide onto my Ifurita Power Key Staff. (to replace the lumpy pieces of styrofoam I had on there before.) What I have now in their place are large, oversized Christmas ornaments. (I actually found one that was ten inches in diameter! Is this a great season of the year or what? I've attached a picture of how my Power Key Staff looks like now..)

Oh, and DJ(SiC)ness, love yer banner! (That's one of my favorite movies. ) Let's see... The only CLAMP character I've ever cosplayed is, of course, Kanoe. But I'd LOVE to do Hinoto. If ONLY I could find a good quality 5-foot-long white wig...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newifuritapowerstaff.jpg (79.7 KB, 26 views)

Amethyst's Prop Blog
Unread 12-09-2002, 01:13 PM   #7
HappyCLAMPer

Wow...

Amethyst Angel, That power staff pic is amazing!!! Whats the key made of? Is it metal or some type of aluminum wrappings? How long did it take you to make it? I can see how much dedication you put into. Im a newbie cosplayer, so Its just amazing!

DJ Sicness, which anime con did you cosplay as Sorata?
Unread 12-09-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
Hitomi chan
Tía Pelucas

Ohhh I want to cosplay Zaz Tork because my boyfriend wants to cosplay Geo Metro, and I'm going to ask a friend to cosplay Eagle Vision, ohhh the Autozam trio!!!
Does anybody have zaz images?

Envy is a beautiful feeling, as long as I provoque it. I am totally... Hitomi.

Ta-lila boku wa odori tsuzukeru
furitsuzuku giniro no ame no shita
Ta-lila kono karada kuchihatete mo
kimi ni kono inochi ga todoku no nara
Hitomi chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 07:11 PM   #9
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

Amethyst Angel, That power staff pic is amazing!!! Whats the key made of? Is it metal or some type of aluminum wrappings? How long did it take you to make it? I can see how much dedication you put into. Im a newbie cosplayer, so Its just amazing!

Thanks! I made the key part using foamcore which I glued together, covered with sheets of craftfoam and painted with silver acrylic paint and a satin varnish. The other components of the key I sculpted using hard styrofoam and the balls, of course, were a pair of novelty oversized plastic Christmas ornaments. The real genius of the staff is that it's collapsible. I made it out of a retractable carwashing brush. The components of the staff slide off and I can then unscrew the upper part of the staff and slide it into the bottom half of the staff, (which should make packing and travelling with it much easier than it would be otherwise. This, I think, would be a good idea for ANY costume which requires a staff...) A nice bonus came with using the car-washing brush in this case: The handgrip looked just like the yellow twisty thing at the bottom of Ifurita's power key staff. All I had to do was slide it down and paint it yellow. It's nice when things work out in your favor like that sometimes...

I'm something of a newbie cosplaye myself. (Although I probably spend waaay more time on it than I really ought to...)

Amethyst's Prop Blog
Unread 12-12-2002, 07:16 PM   #10
Eruda

Dude. CLAMP.

I'm planning on cosplaying as Sumeragi Subaru...his shifuku, then prolly Dark Chii...the costume in which she first appears to Chii. I'm attaching the image for the Dark Chii one...I was hoping I'd get some tips on where to start, since I'm just really starting to cosplay.

Feel free to yell at me...I tend to overshoot my abilities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg darkchii4.jpg (40.6 KB, 22 views)
Eruda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 10:49 PM   #11
Amethyst Angel
Hoop Skirt Fetishist

OOh. That's pretty... It almost looks like an 18th century colonial style dress. (I'd recommend going to a fabric store and picking up a colonial dress pattern which looks similar to that and using that as a starting point.)

You can find wigs, chobit ears and those little chobit "spool hair thingies" for sale pretty cheaply on ebay these days, if you don't feel like making them yourself. (Search under "cosplay")

Amethyst's Prop Blog
Unread 12-13-2002, 03:41 PM   #12
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

You could make the gemstones out of casting resin if you wanted them to be clear and really gem-ish. Just make a basic shape of the gem you want, cast it in plaster, then pour in the resin. *ka-ching* Gemstone. Paint it with green glass paint.

If you wanted to use satin for any parts of his outfit, I would recommend using either bridal satin or Casa satin. Its only semi-glossy, and it's a lot easier to sew on than regular SHINY satin. It also looks a lot better, not tacky like regular satin can look.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2002, 12:45 PM   #13
HappyCLAMPer

Cosplay for Dummies

Thanks for the advice, Space Invader. But where exactly do I buy a Resin Kit? Is this something you can just buy at any crafts store? Like Michaels? or Joannas Fabrics?

Gosh, its times like these I wish I could find a book "Cosplay for Dummies."
Unread 12-15-2002, 05:13 PM   #14
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

oh you dont even need to paint the resin after you cast it. Ok yes michaels carries resin. It's down the glue aisle if I remember correctly. It's in a square can (like turpintine and other household cemicals come in) you need to buy two things: Resin and catelyst. Resin is made from a chemical reaction between the resin and the catelyst. You only use a few drops of catelyst for a good amount of resin. Follow the directions on the back of the can of resin for how much catelyst to add. Make sure you pick up a cheap plastic measuring cup to measure the resin in because you add like let's say 3 drops catelyst to 2 oz of resin add too much it cures faster and it won't turn out good, add too little and it'll never cure and solidify.

For a molding compound for casting a mold from I recommend the precious memories keepsake kit. You can find that kit down the aisle where they have those kits to make an impression of a baby's foot or hand. It's in a purple box and they also have a memory hands set for adults that comes with more gel so you can cast larger items. It comes with this stuff called precious gel you just simply mix it according to directions pour into container stick in what you want a mold of and in 3 mins it's ready to cast. What's good about this stuff is for beginners because it starts out as being pink and as it sets it turns white. When it's completely white you can remove your object and you're left with an impression you can make a mold of. The stuff works well with resin too it just pops right out smoothly and easily, just add a little bit of water in the mold before pouring your resin and it'll come out with no effort. I recommend for your container to pour the gel in to set your mold is to use one of those ziploc throw away containers. They can withstand both the mold gel setting up and the heat the resin's chemical reaction gives off plus you can toss them afterwards without throwing away something expensive.

For your resin: they make color additives which are usually liquid. Michaels sells a 3 dye kit of your primary colors (red, yellow, blue) they're all transparent dyes. It was like $10, kinda pricey if you only need green. You'll have to mix to get whatever color you want. Or if you have a plasic store by you such as tap plastics or plastics 2000 for example, they carry resin stuff as well and they carry more of a selection of dyes. They have mother of pearl for the opalescent sheen, green, blue, purple, you name it they'll probably have it. You just add the color to the resin before you put in the catelyst. Make sure its mixed up good then add your catelyst. When you pour make sure you do it nice and slowly to avoid getting air bubles in your casting (unless you dont mind them) you can also tap the sides of the container your mold is in to try and reduce the amount of bubbles. Oh yeah if you want to make a opaque cast (meaning you can't see through it) my friend and I added white acrylic craft paint to the resin before we added the catelyst. Then you can also add in a drop or two of transparent dye in whatever color you want and you'll be left with a solid color cast. I'm not sure if the white paint will work every time, but if you can find a powder called titanium oxide that's the best thing to use to get a solid white resin. I couldn't find any so I substituted the white craft paint for it.

Make sure you cast outside or in a well ventilated area as to resin gives off VERY VERY VERY strong odors. Also keep in mind the temperature of where you cast will effect the outcome of the cast.

If you need help with anything let me know.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2002, 09:00 PM   #15
Arisa
asdfghjkl

I'm considering cosplaying as Fuu at Jacon. o.o
Arisa is offline   Reply With Quote