Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 06-28-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
JunJun
Plaid Cat

Blood red lipstick

^_^ hiya. I want to figure out how to get a blood red color to my lips. Most lipsticks i've found have been nice, fire engine red, but they're just a bit too pink and happy. Anything darker is more of a burgundy, and too dark. I suppose "red with a black undertone" is the best description of what i'm looking for. No blue, purple or pink tint, just pure deep blood red. Is it even made? Amphigory's "Mars" looks okay,
If i can't find that perfect color, how would i create it? Would a thin layer of burgundy under a fire engine red color work well?

JunJun

Juno-chan dot net

"Thank you! When I rule the world, your death shall be quick and painless!" - Stuey, Family Guy
JunJun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
Senko-chan

I'm not one who has ever experimented with lip stick like that, I usually just use it as it comes, I guess it could work just try it in advance. I would also suggest going to a cosmetics store. The ones that I've been to have had just deep red with no tint.
Senko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 02:49 AM   #3
Finding Beauty
trust me, i'm a doctor

A good idea might be to mix lipsticks and experiment with it until you come out with what you want. Red lipstick, as far as I've noticed, is a big thing right now -- vintage is in and red lipstick goes right along with that trend. Depending on whether you're looking for a matte, satin, or completely glossy look, I would recommend getting lipliner pencils and trying them. They're usually not as inclined to have strange tints as tubes of lipstick would be.

Red lipstick also has the problem of bleeding worse than just about any color I've ever worn. Filling in your lips with liner helps to make the color hold. The only problem is that it makes the color very dry and matte, so I would recommend putting on a coat of lipbalm or clear gloss before and after application to help blend it in.

If you're willing to go the extra financial mile, you might try dropping in a department store cosmetic counter where they give free consultations -- Clinique, Lancome, Estée Lauder, etc.; my personal favorite is Clinique because it's hypoallergenic -- and let them test different shades on you until you find one that looks right.

Just remember if you happen to have any blemishes when you get ready to wear this red lipstick ... concealer, concealer, concealer. Red makes zits stand out more!
Triad Anime Convention; Greensboro, N.C.
Animazement; Raleigh, N.C.
HeroesCon; Charlotte, N.C.
Dragon*Con; Atlanta, Ga.
NC Comicon; Durham, N.C.
Finding Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 08:01 AM   #4
chai_fiend
hopelessly asleep

what you need is MAC m'dear, MAC. their cosmetics are made for entertainment/performance purposes so they tend to have a good variety of more untraditional colors (they definately can not do pink and happy). but if that doesnt work, you can always use a lip brush and blend two different lipsticks to make your own (as suggested above). i'd avoid using a black lipstick since blacks dull out colors and make them kind of sickly looking, but if dawn of the dead is cool for ya, go right on ahead.

i am the hunger above your town
(a little sound in a little amp)
i am dubious
(i am metal)

i am stainless
i am milk in your plastic
chai_fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
kitsunered

I'm not entirely clear on how you define "fire engine red" and "blood red". You said you didn't want anything with blue in it, but blood is actually blue in your veins until exposed to oxygen, so the red blood you see when you prick your finger is actually blue-based.

I have a very nice color of lipstick called "Firebrand" by Max Factor, which I'd consider a blood red color, but it may not be what you're going for. The reddest red I've ever found was Ben Nye's "Marilyn Red" which is pretty much vintage golden age Hollywood red. It is super intense. I have a picture of me wearing it at http://www.geocities.com/dawnlookalikes/2001.html if you'd like a good idea of what it looks like. I was trying to get it to match the corset I was wearing exactly.

-K

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta

Last edited by kitsunered : 07-01-2004 at 03:32 PM.
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote