Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > San Diego Comic Con

Unread 07-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
Claireon
Cross-modal Geek

How likely is it to sell out?

My plans for SDCC had been dependent on some kind of flakey friends, so it wasn't until recently that I knew for sure I was going. Now it's too late to pre-reg. Now, before I get on an expensive cross-country flight to stay in a skeezy youth hostel, how likely is the con to sell out before I can get in? I've never seen a con sell out except for Anime Boston, and I figure SDCC is big enough to accomodate, but it would severely suck to find out otherwise.

Experiences? Anyone?
Claireon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
Inu1
犬夜叉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireon
My plans for SDCC had been dependent on some kind of flakey friends, so it wasn't until recently that I knew for sure I was going. Now it's too late to pre-reg. Now, before I get on an expensive cross-country flight to stay in a skeezy youth hostel, how likely is the con to sell out before I can get in? I've never seen a con sell out except for Anime Boston, and I figure SDCC is big enough to accomodate, but it would severely suck to find out otherwise.

Experiences? Anyone?
i dont think it can sell out O.o; besides it being HUGE, according to my update book thing i got from them more than 75,000 people came and thats 12,000 more than the year before and i hear they are going to open up a new section in the main exibit hall so..there should be enough room
Inu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

Getting into the Con shouldn't be an issue...

But finding a hotel that won't cost you a big wad of money AND be close to things? THAT will be a feat. Good luck to you.

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Inu1
犬夜叉

heh..yea your right..but there are still a bunch of hotels down in mission vally..and thers some right by the convention center but those would cost a hell of a lot i bet..least i dont gotta worry i live here

Last edited by Inu1 : 07-03-2004 at 03:52 AM.
Inu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
FlameSniperRei
LORD OF THE LOOP

Yeah the con won't sell out but all of the surrounding hotels are booked, even as far as Sea World Hotels are being booked up by Comic Con attendees. I think you'll find some decently priced hotels (I found some for $70-100) by sea world but they're going fast.
FlameSniperRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
Sana-chan
I know, right?

Yay for Sea World! lol gotta support mah job-chan XP

But yeah hotels go crazy fast. My best suggestion would be to get whatever hotel you can find and rent a car to get to and from the convention center.
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
Reno_kun
who ya gonna call?

yes sana's right the con it's self will not sell out. god forbid but you need a hotel unless you wanna sleep outside. not the wisest thing to do in SD.
Unread 07-09-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Mich
Costume 'Wing-er'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sana-chan
Yay for Sea World! lol gotta support mah job-chan XP

But yeah hotels go crazy fast. My best suggestion would be to get whatever hotel you can find and rent a car to get to and from the convention center.
Oh do you work at Sea world?We're staying at the Holiday Inn there,cos my daughter wants to go there( we're coming over from the U.K. for a family holiday as well,so I can go to the Con,and Hubby will take my daughter to Sea world,so we might see you there?)
Steampunk
Narissa, Disney's Enchanted
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
BlueLady
slightly distracted

it can sell out..never has ( 100+ people would be madness)

hotels will be your problem.. I wish you luck
Unread 07-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
jetspectacular
Barrel Roll to Evade

Quote:
My best suggestion would be to get whatever hotel you can find and rent a car to get to and from the convention center.
also you can take advantage of the public transit in SD, it's pretty good and way fun to to pull a Shibuya and come on the trolley in costume :3

here's the transit page, if you can find a holiday inn in the vicinity or something, this may help~ http://www.sdcommute.com/
Unread 07-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #11
FlameSniperRei
LORD OF THE LOOP

Good parking is tough to get too guys, so come early to beat the crowds.
FlameSniperRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
Sana-chan
I know, right?

Especially now with the new baseball park. Tho here's hoping that people won't be dumb and take up convention center parking. If memory serves me correctly, there has been several FREE transit busses in the past that go to and from the convention center to various places. I'm not quite sure where exactly tho ><.

Mich- Yes I do work at Sea World ^_^. Been there for... quite some time hehe.
Sana-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #13
jetspectacular
Barrel Roll to Evade

oh i remember those. yesh there are buses from the convention center to various places all over downtown (including Horton Plaza mall) that are free of charge for people with passes, (full, single day, whatever). They are very very convenient though they run like every 15 minutes (running temporarily only during the con. normally downtown bus fare is $2, and you can use transfers within a certain timeframe, 2 hours i think).

I dont think the locations change each year for the con shuttles but If you're needing to get someplace downtown from the convention center, chances are those will take you there. I've only had to use one line (always green x.X) each year to eat lunch with my friends.

It's gotten so big (or promotioned or sponsored or whatever) that the buses are now TWO STORY, london style..! they're not usually crowded but it's fun to ride around downtown san diego on the top of a doubledecker waving to people in costume XD
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
BlueLady
slightly distracted

oh lord the parking i forgot * shudder*.. its sad when you are happy to pay 12 + dollars to park, just because you actually found a space
Unread 07-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
Reno_kun
who ya gonna call?

no what's really odd is the fact thatI did kusanagi and rode the trolly and got so many stares it hurt