Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 12-02-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
Celine
Remember me?

Johji Manabe (Outlanders, Caravan Kidd, Drakuun)

Hey, is anyone else out there a fan of Johji Manabe's works? ^^ Caravan Kidd was the first comic I ever read, back in 1992. It, and Ranma, were what really got me hooked on Japanese comics. I absolutely adore his style and storytelling... it's filled with action and humor. And Mian Toris is one of the coolest characters ever. Oh, I'd looove to cosplay her someday!!
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2002, 06:17 PM   #2
mandichan
-

Ah~ Caravan Kidd was one of my first too!!!! XD Mian was really cool & tough, and that little guy..... I don't remember his name, but he loved money, he was so funny ^o^
I didn't really like Outlanders too much though. I saw that one other anime of his too, but I don't really remember it well ^_^; I think it was a lot like Caravan Kidd though ^-^ And I read only a couple issues of Drakuun...
Er anyway, lol, Caravan Kidd was pretty tight, the funniest one every was the X-mas one!!!!!!!! XD

---Mandichan
http://mandichan.easter.ne.jp
http://shounenaigo.keenspace.com
http://ecoicepure.tripod.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mandichan
mandichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 11:19 AM   #3
Celine
Remember me?

Wow! Someone else who has read it!! ^_^ That makes me so happy... so if I did cosplay Mian, one other person would know who I was.

Outlanders was like Caravan Kidd... but not as funny. And Drakuun, I only read the first bunch of issues.

The Christmas special was great! With the Miss Santa thing... XD I wish that series hadn't been so short!!
Unread 12-08-2002, 10:59 PM   #4
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

I love Manabe-sensei! His art and story telling is just sooooooo clever and well done!

I have all of outlanders and both Caravan Kid (Just got vol. 2 of CK).

Kahm is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo drool worthy.

Manabe's stuff appears on ebay now and then and there is currently some of his doujinshi on there but I'm to broke to buy it.

I haven't read much of Drakuun but I liked what I read.

I just sooooooooooooooooooooo love his art style. To me there is no finer Manga artist/writer in Japan than Johji Manabe.

I wish there was an outlanders anime true to the manga. If that were made I could die a happy otaku. Very few know that Trish Ledoux did the English voice of Kahm in the English Dub to Outlanders.

I can't wait to read more of his work.

And Celine... if you were to cos-play Mian you'd have me following you like a love sick puppy.

FRom,
Joe
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
Celine
Remember me?

*dies*

Wow, I love his art too!! He does such an excellent job on the female body, or at least, it is very appealing to me. They're not super scrawny like I see in so many other comics... and as characters, his women are usually strong and kick ass! ^_^ I always want to buy the doujinshi I see by him on ebay, but it does get awfully pricy. Hmm... maybe I can use my Chanukah money on it. Hehe.

I'd love to see him as a guest sometime. That would just rock so much!! Next to Rumiko Takahashi, he's probably my second favorite Japanese manga author/artist.

Buy the rest of CK!!! IT IS GREAT!!!! >)
Unread 12-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #6
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

Anyone know who that lady who did the great Kahm costume is and where I can see pics of it again?

I agree with you Celine... I love the way he draws his women and they are not beanpoles and overly big breasted. and they are strong women as well.

FRom,
Joe
Unread 12-09-2002, 09:29 PM   #7
Celine
Remember me?

I only recall having seen Kahm cosplayed once... at last year's AWA (2001). ^^ I'd suggest going through galleries from that con to see if people got a pic of her. Is this the one you are looking for?
http://www.washu.ch/cgi-bin/picture2?awa07-026.jpg
http://www.fansview.com/2001/september/0922b055.jpg
Unread 12-09-2002, 10:21 PM   #8
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

Ahh I rmeember reading Caravan Kidd ^^. I got all 3 thick volumes of it! ^_^

I wanna get the rest of Outlanders and the rest of his works. In the video store I go to, I did find a tape of The Outlanders for rent there ^_^.
Unread 12-09-2002, 11:09 PM   #9
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

Celine - Nope, that's not her. This Kahm cos-player had metal armor and the horns on Kahm's head looked real. I wish I remembered where I saw it.

That's not a bad Kahm in those pics you posted. If you do Mian I hope that you use metal for her top.

FRom,
Joe
Unread 12-10-2002, 05:51 PM   #10
Celine
Remember me?

Kenny: YAY!!! You've read Caravann Kidd... eheehe... How about, you come visit me and we can watch Outlanders together! I have only read part of the manga, but never seen the animated counterpart. ^^

Joe: Dude, there is another Kahm? Wow! If you find a pic, or remember where you saw her, please let me know. And I'd totally use metal or something which looked like metal. How else would I get her chestplate?? ^^ Ah, she has such a fantastic design...
Unread 12-10-2002, 06:30 PM   #11
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

Celine - I remember that the Kahm was from a site with some text my browser couldn't handle. I think it was a Korean site but I don't remember for sure. I do remember there was a Battia and a Gerabaldi in the pic. Dang, my spelling sucks today.

Also Celine... when do you think you may start Mian?

FRom,
Joe
Unread 12-10-2002, 07:38 PM   #12
Celine
Remember me?

Well, I don't know if I'll have time to do it this year... if I do, maybe for AX? Definitely not before then. It'll be pricy to buy all the extensions and whatnot for the hair and tail. Not to mention, my metalworking skills are nonexistent. ^^ And I have to find the perfect jewel for the chestplate... get a sword, all that!
Unread 12-10-2002, 10:38 PM   #13
Kenshin Ken
Ore wa, Pocky Ken desu!

aye I'd love to come on over! ^_^v coruse I'll have to rent/buy Outlanders ^_^ possibly get more of it than jsut htat one tape.. ( I wonder how many they have made... )

And how much of the manga have you read? did you see em in those thick volumes? ( I wanna get mroe outlanders...but the only other store around in my area keeps having later issues.. and not the first issues ^^;; me..must...hunt.....for treasures!! )
Unread 12-10-2002, 11:48 PM   #14
JoeBoeing
Man Kitty

Outlanders anime is just a single 40 minute OVA... very VERY edited. it only has like 10% of the whole story in it... maybe less.

Manabe-san's anime Capricorn was the same way.

also, ebay is a good place for the early outlanders graphic Novels.

FRom,
Joe
Unread 12-11-2002, 12:14 AM   #15
Celine
Remember me?

ONE video??? Cripes~! That must be some monster butchering. Aren't there at least six volumes of the manga? ^^ I'm probably going to check ebay myself to nab some copies of them... don't bid against me, Kenny. :P