Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime USA

Unread 07-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
senshi_meiousei
Jealous yet, Grey?

What is Anime USA Like?

Greetings!

My cosplay group and myself have been discussing going to other conventions other than Otakon and Katsucon, which are the two we currently attend. Anime USA is within our comfortable driving distance, so we would like to know what it is like. In comparison to Otakon and Katsucon, how big is it? Are the activities similar? Approximately how many people attend? And would you recommend it? We would like to know so we can come to a decision about whether or not to attend this convention. Thank you!
senshi_meiousei is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
Wakusei
Kaizoku no Oujisama

Anime USA is held in a beautiful hotel, as for size I can't really say seeing that I've only frequented 2 different cons so far. In terms of measurement the dealer room is usually atleast the size of a full basketball court, or atleast close to it.

It is also the only convention I've been to so far that's had a kendo demonstration. They haven't updated any lists yet or I'd go into detial on some events.
Wakusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

We've got an event list up on our site. [looks at site] Hmmm... maybe I should add some descriptions to those. The page looks kinda ghetto just being a list like that.

Let's see... what differentiates us from Otakon and Katsucon. Well, things are more likely to start on time, and less likely to be rescheduled. One thing I like is how we don't seat you and make you wait an hour for cosplay. No, sir. We seat you and then distract you with something on the stage until we're ready to start the cosplay. Well, that's what we did last year. We're planning something similar this year, but certain variables still need to be factored. Actually, a lot is still in the planning stages, like an art auction on Saturday as well as Sunday (because not everyone goes on Sunday for some reason ... even though we actually plan stuff for Sunday, and Sunday at Anime USA is less depressing than it is at other conventions).

We also have an invariably friendly staff, especially the director of marketing and relations . Hey, take it from me, I know the guy personally. He's partially single, ladies . But, yeah, everyone else is nice, too. *shifty eyes*

Anime USA is my favorite convention, so naturally I decided to ruin it for myself and join the staff. Being on staff is fun... except for that stinging sensation the whip leaves. I'm telling you, the best way to enjoy a con is by being a suc... er, staff member. Yeah, that's it.

We're expecting about 2000 attendees (not counting staff, dealers, guests, etc). IMHO, smaller conventions are better. They're just more social. But don't take my word for it. Why just listen to the praises of these brainwashed zombies.

"......................"

You see? They love it.
Darxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Maester Seymour
Ate Your Grandmother

I do like smaller cons ^_^ I'll really looking forward to this con now, as kuja is well on its way...hm i guess i should probably pre-reg and register for the masquerade when i book the room too. Well I'm the only one from my cosplay group going to this con but that doesnt bother me, I've seen your cosplay group before, senshi_meiousei, lots of sm! very cool.
Ikkicon

New Cosplays for '10 (subject to change):
8th Division Captain Shunsui Kyoraku // Bleach
Van Fanel // Escaflowne (maybe)

Check Out My Cosplay Site!:
http://www.rebirth.tetsunosuke.com/Mseymour (Moving/Old)
Maester Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Small cons rock ^_~. Lots more room, more fun, and much easier to meet people ^_^. I was originally going to just go with my mom but now I'm going with a bunch of my friends too xDD. They keep folowing me to cons......HELP!!
I look forward to this especially since it starts the day after my 17th birthday, so this is my birthday present, yahoo!! :3
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
senshi_meiousei
Jealous yet, Grey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maester Seymour
I do like smaller cons ^_^ I'll really looking forward to this con now, as kuja is well on its way...hm i guess i should probably pre-reg and register for the masquerade when i book the room too. Well I'm the only one from my cosplay group going to this con but that doesnt bother me, I've seen your cosplay group before, senshi_meiousei, lots of sm! very cool.
Arigato ^_^ We would like to expand, so we're looking for conventions in our area to go to. We don't want to go if it's a "sucky" con, so we're asking around. Thanks everyone! Anime USA is definately on our list now!
senshi_meiousei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
Maester Seymour
Ate Your Grandmother

yay! I'd love to take some pix with ur group or of ur group if thats ok. I love meeting new friends at cons and anime usa sounds like a perfect one to do so. ^_^
Ikkicon

Unread 07-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
quadrophenia
romantic egoist

I am pleased to hear such good things about AnimeUSA! My friend and I won free passes at AnimeNEXT in that true/false game show (though they may have only signed us up for one, really must contact someone about that), and at first I thought it might be a little far away and was hesitant to plan going since I'm a little money-light these days, but after hearing such good things, I am really looking forward it ^_^

"I spread my wings and touch ten million other worlds."
quadrophenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
Maester Seymour
Ate Your Grandmother

yay It would be nice to actually have a cosplay.com gathering maybe? I want to meet all the ppl I know from the forums and stuff, as I don't know all that many from here. thoughts?
Ikkicon

Unread 07-09-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
Terumi
Guilty Jesus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darxim
Let's see... what differentiates us from Otakon and Katsucon. Well, things are more likely to start on time, and less likely to be rescheduled. One thing I like is how we don't seat you and make you wait an hour for cosplay. No, sir. We seat you and then distract you with something on the stage until we're ready to start the cosplay. Well, that's what we did last year. We're planning something similar this year, but certain variables still need to be factored. Actually, a lot is still in the planning stages, like an art auction on Saturday as well as Sunday (because not everyone goes on Sunday for some reason ... even though we actually plan stuff for Sunday, and Sunday at Anime USA is less depressing than it is at other conventions)
I love the plan you guys have for the cosplay contest! It is seldom that I am found in the audience and not in the contest, but I think your "distraction" plan is a great idea. ^^ I'm also happy to hear all this good stuff about the con XD i just hope i can make it

Last edited by Terumi : 07-09-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Terumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #11
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maester Seymour
yay It would be nice to actually have a cosplay.com gathering maybe? I want to meet all the ppl I know from the forums and stuff, as I don't know all that many from here. thoughts?
A cosplay.com gathering would rock ^___~. They always do rock at any con, but this would be a good con for one since its smaller than the bigger ones :3.
And the cosplay planning sounds awesome!! Can't wait!!
Unread 07-10-2004, 12:45 AM   #12
Wakusei
Kaizoku no Oujisama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCAmanda
A cosplay.com gathering would rock ^___~.
It definately would and it would be my first, so let's do that. It wouldn't only rock, but it would probably also Roll, Blues, Gutsman, and every other navi on the block.
*God, I hope people caught that horrible Rockman.exe refference.*
Wakusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakusei
It definately would and it would be my first, so let's do that. It wouldn't only rock, but it would probably also Roll, Blues, Gutsman, and every other navi on the block.
*God, I hope people caught that horrible Rockman.exe refference.*
Nope I didn't unfortunately ^^;. The gathering should have a theme song *lmao*. But yes all c.com people...........ASSEMBLE!!!
Unread 07-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #14
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

Maybe a cosplay.com gathering panel. Well, wouldn't be much of a panel, but it could be in a panel room. There's chairs in those.

Hmmm... an idea for a panel that doesn't require a panelist. I should come up with more of these.
Darxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #15
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darxim
Maybe a cosplay.com gathering panel. Well, wouldn't be much of a panel, but it could be in a panel room. There's chairs in those.

Hmmm... an idea for a panel that doesn't require a panelist. I should come up with more of these.

That sounds cool! Can I sit at the table and lead the crowd? Lol just kidding I wish I could do that hehe xD. Thats a great idea ^O^