Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Lucindra
Lollypop Addict

Mini LED lights- Wattage + where to buy?

Hi Folks,

Quick question regarding Mini LED lights for this prop : http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...e_upgrades.png

I want to put LEDs in the base and platforms to make them light up... does anyone have any recommendations for the recommended wattage for mini LEDs to light up and be visible in day light?

Also any recommendations for where to buy these lights would be great.

Thanks!
Lucindra is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucindra View Post
Hi Folks,

Quick question regarding Mini LED lights for this prop : http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...e_upgrades.png

I want to put LEDs in the base and platforms to make them light up... does anyone have any recommendations for the recommended wattage for mini LEDs to light up and be visible in day light?

Also any recommendations for where to buy these lights would be great.

Thanks!
Which version are you building? If you make the eyes out of LED's that are viewed directly, you won't need much wattage at all. If you're trying to illuminate a translucent unicorn horn, you'll need more punch- I'd look at getting a 1 watt or greater LED. 1W LED's are generally too bright to look at directly without getting spots in your vision, but for indirect lighting they're great.

I've used SuperbrightLEDs for this sort of thing, and they sell pre-wired LED's that you just have to hook up to 12V worth of battery and you're all set. If you buy loose components you'll have to solder them together with resistors which also involves a bit of math.
Unread 06-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Lucindra
Lollypop Addict

I'm actually building the red and white version (v3) and I wanted to make the platform that the head rests on light up (like a merry go round)... The lighting will be indirect- each of the bulbs will have a plastic cap over top of them so they need to be bright enough to shine through the plastic cover in daylight...

I'm checking out the Superbright LED site right now
Unread 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Lucindra
Lollypop Addict

Should probably also mention I counted 34 bulbs that I wanted to wire in total @_@
Unread 06-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
djlemma

You might be able to adjust the spacing of your prop to match the spacing on one of their LED Tape products. That way you'd have a bunch of LED's already wired to each other with the proper resistors and everything ready to hook up to batteries. LED tape is quite bright, you'd be able to light up a translucent plastic cap and see it outside (unless maybe it's REALLY sunny). You could also experiment with the battery-powered LED Christmas lights, although they're not likely to be as bright. I just think if you're going to do 34 points of light you might want to find a product that has a lot of it pre-wired so you aren't stuck soldering all day.