Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 07-16-2004, 02:01 AM   #1
Goddess Zara
Powers of Randomosity

Paradise Kiss Yukari - Big Dresses

Yes, I'm joining the ranks of the insane and attempting to make the show dress from Paradise Kiss. I've seen some really pretty ones in the member galleries around here, and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the making of it, things to watch out for, etc. Anyone who's ever done a dress with a big skirt (I think Rose of Versailles has similar skirts if I'm not mistaken...) and can give me some tips, I'd love to hear from too. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sparkly blue.JPG (53.4 KB, 0 views)

Unread 07-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
KireiChibi
Justice is sexy.

Ah the prettiness!

I haven't made many underlayered large skirts - however from a strictly observational standpoint it looks as though the skirt is constructed of large wedges of fabric, rather than gathering, and obviously is buoyed up by some measure of petticoating.

Check out some formal dress or even wedding dress patterns to get something close to this dress - you can also probably hybridize two patterns if you can't find a pattern fitting both top and skirt specs. I think I've also seen some costume skirts (like, Civil War era stuff) that fits the profile, but I think you might be better off checking out the bridal/formal wear section first.

What would daunt me is actually hand-stitching all that beading in like they did in the manga! aaah! Well, good luck! Post pics when you're done!
KireiChibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Goddess Zara
Powers of Randomosity

Luckily I've worked with beads quite a bit before, and am used to how time consuming and patience requiring they are. ^^()

I had considered using a hoop skirt (used in Civil War era type dresses you mentioned) but have never worn one before, and don't know for sure if it would work for this. Obviously I'd still have to get some kind of underskirt for it too... I'm just not sure if the look would be better achieved with a large crinoline or a hoop skirt...

Last edited by Goddess Zara : 07-17-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Goddess Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 02:18 AM   #4
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Too have it as far out at the bottom as the drawing, probably would need a crinoline over a hoop skirt. Thats what I have under dress in this pic http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....cat=500&page=2

Just using the same crinoline without hoop looks like this
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....cat=500&page=4
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
Dia
time for silver jets

Hikaruchan speaks the truth - you'll definitely want a hoopskirt with a crinoline (or multiple crinolines) over it. The hoopskirt will give it most of the volume, and the crinolines will add some on top of that. I've used this combination in my Suu costume (albeit, with a 3/4 hoopskirt, but it's the same idea).
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....cat=500&page=1

If you don't want to make your own, you can usually find hoopskirts and crinolines on Ebay and the like, or at bridal stores, and occasionally thrift stores. Can't wait to see your dress - I'm working on a casual Yukari myself ^_^
Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #6
Sailor Kikyo
Little Banana?!

I give you props for trying that dress, and I'm sure you can do it! If you ever need a Miwako, lemme know!
Unread 07-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
Goddess Zara
Powers of Randomosity

Thanks so much for all the help everyone! Now I just have to go find myself a hoopskirt...

Ideally I'd like to get this done by AX05, so Dia, Sailor Kikyo, if you guys are going to that con and wearing your Parakiss costumes, we should take pictures together. ^__^