Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 07-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
JasonTD
Rogue Demon Slayer

Dragoncon Buffy Prom needs a Buffy

Some of you might have heard about the Buffy the Vampire Slayer prom that's happening at DCon this year. Unfortunately we're suddenly without a Buffy and need to recast the part. If you have a Buffyish look, are going to be at Dragoncon, and would like to be part of the cast, please get in touch with me ASAP!

-Jason
JasonTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
kitsunered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTD
Some of you might have heard about the Buffy the Vampire Slayer prom that's happening at DCon this year. Unfortunately we're suddenly without a Buffy and need to recast the part. If you have a Buffyish look, are going to be at Dragoncon, and would like to be part of the cast, please get in touch with me ASAP!

-Jason
When's the Prom going to be held? If it's on Friday night I might be able to do it.

-K

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Xel

oooo

yes, I was trying to decide who would be good at it, or who would look the part.
I think you would work smashingly.
Unread 07-21-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
JasonTD
Rogue Demon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunered
When's the Prom going to be held? If it's on Friday night I might be able to do it.

-K
The prom is actually going to be on Saturday night, after the Dawn lookalike contest I know you're participating in the Dawn contest, so that probably takes you out of the running for the Buffyness. Thanks so much for offering, though, and be sure to come check the prom out if you're not too tired after your Dawning. And be sure to say hi; I'll be the prom cast's Wesley ^_^

In good news, I think we're close to having a new Buffy for the event. There's been a great response to the casting call.

-Jason
Unread 07-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
keri1966

I wish you all had made it a Bronze dance instead. The Bronze had key scenes in all seven seasons, and almost every major character made an appearence in it.

Plus as a Spike/Buffy fan I felt a lot of an undercurrent of hostility toward "Spuffy" shippers by the Buffy track staff last year, (but not most panelists at the fanfiction panels, who tended to be Spuffy fans) And I looked at the panels/events in the Buffy track for this year and it felt like the undercurrent of hostility had become overt. Sadly, this has led me to the unhappy decision of avioding the Buffy track like the plague. If the staffers don't want anyone who liked anything after season 3 (Unless it supports a rather overt pro Buffy/Angel "Bangel" vibe I got from the programming this year), then obviously no Spuffies like me are welcome.

Perhaps, if the track still exsists in 2005 and has more a variety, including Spuffy related panels, etc... I'll feel more welcome and want to go to panels and events in the Buffy track.
keri1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
JasonTD
Rogue Demon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri1966
I wish you all had made it a Bronze dance instead. The Bronze had key scenes in all seven seasons, and almost every major character made an appearence in it.
Hiya! I remember seeing you post something similar to this in the DCon Buffy LJ, but I never got a chance to reply there. Since I'm the one who came up with the idea for the prom and am the one planning it, I did want to take time to address your concerns and explain why the event is occurring as it is.

The staff of the Buffy track at Dragoncon is a group of BTVS / ATS fans, just like the attendees. As such, some like Angel, some like Spike, and some couldn't care less who Buffy's dating. For my part, I started watching Buffy in season 3 and then had to go back later to get caught up on seasons 1 and 2. So the Buffy / Spike relationship is the one I "grew up" with and the one I most think of when I think of Buffy's love life. I prefer Spike over Angel myself.

So why, then, did I propose and plan a Buffy / Angel event? Quite simply because I wanted to plan a formal dance in the Buffy universe, and the prom episode is the best known example of that from which we could draw. There are already rave-style dances and informal dances at DragonCon, so I decided to propose the prom instead of the Bronze. If Spike had been in the prom episode, he would most definitely be cast in our event. As the person in charge of this event, I can 100% promise you no biases for or against any character went into the planning. I mean... I love Tara and would really like to have included her in the event, but that just plain wouldn't have made sense in the prom context. And as for the Bronze... Just because it's not happening this year doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. A Bronze event actually was discussed, but I have too much on my plate for this con already and wouldn't have had the time to properly plan a second dance.

My goal with the Dragoncon Buffy Prom is to host an event that exactly follows the events of the prom episode and puts the attendees into the graduating class along with Buffy and her friends. We've had an overwhelming amount of positive feedback about this event, and I'm sorry that you don't like the idea. I really hope you'll give the prom a try and will end up having a good time.

Oh, and for your Spike fix at DCon, check out the Buffy Horror Picture Show. I'm not working with that event, but there's definitely a Spike in the cast for that one, and it was a lot of fun last year. Please feel free to drop me an e-mail or an IM if you have any other comments or questions.

-Jason
Unread 07-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
kitsunered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTD
The prom is actually going to be on Saturday night, after the Dawn lookalike contest I know you're participating in the Dawn contest, so that probably takes you out of the running for the Buffyness. Thanks so much for offering, though, and be sure to come check the prom out if you're not too tired after your Dawning. And be sure to say hi; I'll be the prom cast's Wesley ^_^

In good news, I think we're close to having a new Buffy for the event. There's been a great response to the casting call.

-Jason
I'm glad you managed to find a Buffy. Yeah, the Dawn contest does kind of take precidence as this will be my fifth year competing (and I've almost finished my costume). I may not be able to make it down to the prom, as I'm expecting the contest to run long as usual. Which is a pity because it sounds like a lot of fun.

Oh and thanks Xel for thinking I'd make a good Buffy.

-K

Costumes for 2007: Ran (Texhnolyze), She-Ra (She-Ra: Princess of Power), Marie's Black Masquerade Gown (Sofia Coppola's Marie Antionette), EGA Plum Walking Suit (Original Design)

Cons for 2007: Katsucon (tentative), Animazement (tentative), MomoCon, Dragon*Con, Anime Weekend Atlanta
kitsunered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
Xel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunered
Oh and thanks Xel for thinking I'd make a good Buffy.
No problem, you're quite the looker
Unread 08-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #9
fightstar
Kage-Kanbu Master Ninja

so what is the dress for this prom? What day is it going to be on? I only ask about the day b/c I can't stay for the whole weekend.

~fightstar
fightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:30 AM   #10
JasonTD
Rogue Demon Slayer

The prom will be Saturday night, and the dress is formal / semi-formal. Pretty much whatever would be acceptable at a "real" high school prom. Hope to see ya there!