Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-21-2004, 06:32 AM   #1
DJ Sandman
Random DJ's

Need help for Naruto character cosplay...

Hi, I'm planning to cosplay as a Basic Sound Nin from Naruto and need help with the grey outer front garment that they wear.
I have a link here to the only two pics of them that I could find and you can find it here: www.leafninja.com

(Just look under the clothing link on the menu located on the left side of the screen)

Now this costume is for Fanime 05' and I know this is mad early, but I knew that I would need help on the one piece of this costume, so I'm just preparing in advance.

Your help is greatly appreciated
DJ Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
lunar_kitsune
Tseng of TURKS

Yay! I'm going to that! Don't worry I don't think it's too early. I don't know how to help you much...besides that that outer robe looks alot like a chinese-type robe. Something like what Ko-enma from Yu Yu Hakusho wears. Perhaps you could find a picture of him? I'm only guessing...(My mom'd probably have to look at it) that you'd make two front panels the same size, sleeveless like a really long tank-top front and then one solid back panel. You'd sew these together to resemble a sleeveless dress and then work on the cylinder-shaped sleeves. I reread this and decided to try to be more specific...This is how I think it'd work but I'm not sure (so you might want to try this with that pattern paper you can get at a hobby store...^.^; )

1. The pattern would be much like a tank top, the entire length running from your shoulder to about your knees. A pretty basic shape, I'd say, starting off with a long rectangle. I'm sure you could cut out the collar to fit your wants or needs.
2. Make two copies of this cut out, one for the back and another for the overlapping front panel. You can button it at the top and use the sash to close it when you're finished.
3. After you're finished with this you can measure the length from your shoulder to the place on your arm that you'd like the sleeve length to be and then measure around your arm, giving it the slack with the measuring tape to find the width. This should also be a rectangular shape that you can sew to the rest of the robe into cylindrical sleeves.

Of course I'm pretty sure you could find a sundress pattern something like this and modify it for that front lap. The collar won't make much difference since you'd be wearing that scarf around it, right?

It looks relatively easy but other than that I don't know what to say. Sorry?

~Shini

Last edited by lunar_kitsune : 07-22-2004 at 01:20 AM.
lunar_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
DJ Sandman
Random DJ's

Thanks for your help, much appreciated =) I copied this to my word processor and a friend of mine who works at a fabric retailer is helping me with the exact cut and color tone. As for the rest of the costume, I got my items from ****.com

I even sent them an e-mail seeing if they would be able to make it as well since they do custom work.

Thanks again for the info =)

P.L.U.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar_kitsune
Yay! I'm going to that! Don't worry I don't think it's too early. I don't know how to help you much...besides that that outer robe looks alot like a chinese-type robe. Something like what Ko-enma from Yu Yu Hakusho wears. Perhaps you could find a picture of him? I'm only guessing...(My mom'd probably have to look at it) that you'd make two front panels the same size, sleeveless like a really long tank-top front and then one solid back panel. You'd sew these together to resemble a sleeveless dress and then work on the cylinder-shaped sleeves. I reread this and decided to try to be more specific...This is how I think it'd work but I'm not sure (so you might want to try this with that pattern paper you can get at a hobby store...^.^; )

1. The pattern would be much like a tank top, the entire length running from your shoulder to about your knees. A pretty basic shape, I'd say, starting off with a long rectangle. I'm sure you could cut out the collar to fit your wants or needs.
2. Make two copies of this cut out, one for the back and another for the overlapping front panel. You can button it at the top and use the sash to close it when you're finished.
3. After you're finished with this you can measure the length from your shoulder to the place on your arm that you'd like the sleeve length to be and then measure around your arm, giving it the slack with the measuring tape to find the width. This should also be a rectangular shape that you can sew to the rest of the robe into cylindrical sleeves.

Of course I'm pretty sure you could find a sundress pattern something like this and modify it for that front lap. The collar won't make much difference since you'd be wearing that scarf around it, right?

It looks relatively easy but other than that I don't know what to say. Sorry?

~Shini
Unread 07-22-2004, 04:38 AM   #4
lunar_kitsune
Tseng of TURKS

Aww I'm so happy I could actually help someone! Without making their brain explode... So maybe since you like Naruto you could help me with a Shikamaru problem I'm having. ^.^;

~Shini
Unread 07-23-2004, 02:16 AM   #5
DJ Sandman
Random DJ's

ok, what is the problem you're having?
Unread 07-23-2004, 02:33 AM   #6
DJ Sandman
Random DJ's

Oh, by the way, I found a better/larger pic of one of the basic sound ninjas, you can find it here:

http://www.narutoinfo.com/gallery/?v...%2079&image=44
Unread 07-23-2004, 02:49 AM   #7
lunar_kitsune
Tseng of TURKS

Oooh. Cool. Maybe I'll get to see you at the con! I wanted to do a Kin costume.
Actually my questions about Shikamaru have been pretty much answered. Now I'm wondering if that thing on Kin's head...is that her hair or is it a cloth? It looks alot like a cloth...as does Neji's. And where can I get that camouflage-like cloth/scarf?

~Shini
Unread 07-23-2004, 03:47 AM   #8
DJ Sandman
Random DJ's

I can't post it here because I'll get that spam site thing you saw above so I will try to PM it to you since I got mine from a site or if you can give me your e-mail addy I can send you the address there. Also, what part of her is this cloth that you are looking for? If you can post an image or send it to endless1200@aol.com
I can get a better look at it.

Are you talking about the head protector maybe?

I'll be sure to look for you at the con as well ^_^

Quote:
Oooh. Cool. Maybe I'll get to see you at the con! I wanted to do a Kin costume.
Actually my questions about Shikamaru have been pretty much answered. Now I'm wondering if that thing on Kin's head...is that her hair or is it a cloth? It looks alot like a cloth...as does Neji's. And where can I get that camouflage-like cloth/scarf?

~Shini

Last edited by DJ Sandman : 07-23-2004 at 03:52 AM.
Unread 07-23-2004, 05:56 PM   #9
lunar_kitsune
Tseng of TURKS

Well the cloth I was talking about is the one I think is extending from the forehead protector, yes. Is that a cloth? It -really- doesn't look like hair... And I'm also looking for the scarf...or...is...that...in the link that you're trying to send me? Thank you! ^.^

~Shini
Unread 07-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
DJ Sandman
Random DJ's

If I'm getting this correctly, and I'm assuming you are speaking about the part that is holding the metal piece of the head protector, then yes it is a cloth as all of the head protectors (with some character exceptions of course ^_^) all have a cloth base for the metal part to be supported. From various pics I saw, it is her Sound Village head protector.

If you are looking for a sound head protector, I would suggest PMing Bamph,
he's already sent mine (I have to wear the head protector because I can't fuse the metal plate with the ninja mask, so I just have to wear it the normal way)

By the way I got your PM and I sent you the link via your e-mail ^_^

Send me some pics when your costume is done ^_^
I will make sure to do the same ^_^

Quote:
Well the cloth I was talking about is the one I think is extending from the forehead protector, yes. Is that a cloth? It -really- doesn't look like hair... And I'm also looking for the scarf...or...is...that...in the link that you're trying to send me? Thank you! ^.^

~Shini
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:32 AM   #11
lunar_kitsune
Tseng of TURKS

Cool thank you. But I didn't get an email. O.o I think it's just because Bellsouth stinks and doesn't give me half the mail it owes me.
Unread 07-26-2004, 06:22 PM   #12
DJ Sandman
Random DJ's

The best way to get to the site link is by following these instructions:

1. go to the fanime message board and click on the cosplay forum.

2. click on "Naruto Cosplay Group"

3. Look for any posts by Blue Impulse and look for the banner under his post.

4. Click the banner and it will take you to the site I went to for my Naruto
supplies.

Quote:
Cool thank you. But I didn't get an email. O.o I think it's just because Bellsouth stinks and doesn't give me half the mail it owes me.