Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-06-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Arrow A little help here

For Christmas I'm getting a Playstation 2 and Final Fantasy X and one more game, that's what I'm asking you what game should I buy?

I have a list but you can recomender other games

My current choices are

Suikoden 3
Wild Arms 3
Tekken 4
Grand Theft Auto Vice City

and when they come out
Devil May Cry 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substanence
Tenage Mutent Ninja Turtles
Breath of Fire V
Unlimited SaGa
Arc_The_Lad is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2002, 07:52 PM   #2
psythe

Tekken 4! You have your RPG quota with FFX get a game that you pick up and put down. Plus Tekken 4 just rocks!
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
KaitouKurogo
Whee! I'm Expendable!

I suppose it really depends on what sort of play value you want. Games like Tekken4 and GTAViceCity, both of which I've played, are great time-waster games that you can play over and over without really getting tired of them. Especially good if you play with friends.
Wild Arms 3 looks very promising as a RPG, so that's a good counter to FFX. The gameplay style is similar but the battle technique is quite different all in all. Gotta love the constant spell use during fights. ^_^
--The First True Dark Link-- (Legend of Zelda, AX05)
KaitouKurogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 10:30 PM   #4
Trunks61
Lazynoah

Replace that FFX with Suikoden 3 and you'll be all set. 8)
Unread 12-07-2002, 02:46 AM   #5
Celine
Remember me?

I'd go with Psyth's suggestion and get a non-RPG to complement FFX. Just curious why you'd choose Tekken over Virtua Fighter. I'm not going to say Tekken isn't good, but VF4 is fantastic! ^^ Otherwise, people seem to have nothing but good things to say about GTA, so I would go with that.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 02:49 AM   #6
Morrissey
Insanely Popular

Suikoden 3.
Unread 12-07-2002, 02:50 AM   #7
Nyanko-chan
Zombie Queen

Im an RPG nut so if it were me Id be getting Suikoden III even if I was getting FFX *L*
Nyanko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 09:28 AM   #8
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

I never really liked Virtua Fighter, and I'm definatley getting Final Fantasy X

I'm not sure about GTA:VC because I already have two friends who already own it so I could screw buying it and just borrow it.

I'm leaning towards Tekken Because I'm really good at that game and its my most fav. fighter game.

I've never played Suikoden, but my friend does have the first one

I'm not sure about Wild Arms, I played the second one and that wasn't too great.
Arc_The_Lad is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2002, 09:47 AM   #9
psythe

Quote:
Originally posted by Celine
I'd go with Psyth's suggestion and get a non-RPG to complement FFX. Just curious why you'd choose Tekken over Virtua Fighter. I'm not going to say Tekken isn't good, but VF4 is fantastic! ^^ Otherwise, people seem to have nothing but good things to say about GTA, so I would go with that.
Wai! I totally agree Celine! VF4 has the tightest combat system of any of the fighting games, plus it's gorgeous to show off to people. Even the menu system is killer.

If you aren't stuck on Tekken 4, listen to Celine and get Virtua Fighter 4

I use Pai Chan and Lei-Fei.
Unread 12-08-2002, 04:51 AM   #10
Sirami
Eternally damned

VF4 is a good game. It is definately requires faster finger movement than Tekken does, but I still say that Tekken has a better system. I've only played VF4 mildly, so I can't be a fair judge in compairing to Tekken. I can say that VF is much eassier to pick up than Tekken, but that's what most Tekken players love about Tekken.

VF players often say that Tekken is non-responsive. Watch me play and then tell me that the game is non-responsive. The characters in that game move exactially how I want them to move.

Tekken players often times accuse VF of being to "string based" in its combat style. From what I played, it was very string based, but some characters are not string based, and I'm guessing that at its core, it's not so string based. I immagine that really good players would be relying on the timed juking and reversals more so than the strings.

I say, stick with Tekken. Tekken 4 won't seem like much of an improvement over Tekken Tag, until you are really used to the changes, and character tweaks.
Sirami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 12:15 PM   #11
plovor

If you like racing you can pick up GT3 greatest hits for like $30(canadian).Also Devil May Cry 1 is now in greatest hits for same price.Dark Cloud is greatest hits too and kinda like a zelda ripoff but still good.MGS2 was okay but I guess i was expecting more from the game them playing as a rookie.(You'll notice that I fancy the cheap greatest hits games )
plovor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 12:51 PM   #12
psythe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirami
VF4 is a good game. It is definately requires faster finger movement than Tekken does, but I still say that Tekken has a better system. I've only played VF4 mildly, so I can't be a fair judge in compairing to Tekken. I can say that VF is much eassier to pick up than Tekken, but that's what most Tekken players love about Tekken.

VF players often say that Tekken is non-responsive. Watch me play and then tell me that the game is non-responsive. The characters in that game move exactially how I want them to move.

Tekken players often times accuse VF of being to "string based" in its combat style. From what I played, it was very string based, but some characters are not string based, and I'm guessing that at its core, it's not so string based. I immagine that really good players would be relying on the timed juking and reversals more so than the strings.

I say, stick with Tekken. Tekken 4 won't seem like much of an improvement over Tekken Tag, until you are really used to the changes, and character tweaks.
I play and love both games equally, so I'm pretty sure that I can state the differences fairly. The defense is a major difference as Tekken require the hold-back to defend, whereas VF4 has a block button. Doesn't seem like a major difference, but it is if you are used to a certain style. VF4 has ring outs, Tekken does not. From a story standpoint Tekken has MUCH deeper character histories than VF4 and some killer cinematics to boot.

Depending on the character, VF4 can be a very string based system but playing against an experienced player you are asking to get countered alot. Counter moves seem to play a bigger role in VF4 than in Tekken.

I prefer Tekken's combo system as opposed to VF4's, both are responsive but Tekken's seems to be a bit more intuitive. I think the false assumption that Tekken is 'unresponsive' comes from the fact that VF4 is a quicker pace of combat. At least that's what it feels like to me. Tekken is in no way 'unresponsive'.

Nothing is wrong with either game, it just comes down to a basic personal preference.

^^v
Tekken - Ling and Hwoarang
VF4 - Pai and Lei
Unread 12-08-2002, 01:58 PM   #13
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

my suggestion for a game that can keep you entertained for hours, helps relieve(sp?) stress as well as all the criminal acts that you wanted to commit but never had the cajones to pull off.

get Vice City...i think you'll be happy with that.

unless you plan on using it as a trainer for future crime sprees
j/k

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 02:57 PM   #14
Rey-Rey
Cause And Effect

Well, hold on a second here.

What type of games do you like? Ever thought of getting Tony Hawk 4?
Unread 12-08-2002, 03:11 PM   #15
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

Kingdome hearts(sephiroth!)
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 ( nothings says fun but a battle betwen Gambit and a Serv Bot!)

i rented Star Wars Bounty Hunter, thats a fun ass game, but you might not be a SW fan.
DJ(SiC)ness is offline   Reply With Quote