Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Unread 12-08-2002, 03:10 AM   #1
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

Mega Man.....we all grew up with him...ahh fun times

from Cut man to Jet Stingray

we have come to love all of the characters in mega man

since 1987 Capcom has been pumping out games left and right
but how do you feel about the quilty of the games right now. I felt that X 5 and 6 were bad, they seemed rushed and the levels were really really short. Do you think Capcom is half assing it?

and oh yeah...whos your fav Mega man villian

ELEC MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
woooooooooooooooooooo!
DJ(SiC)ness is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
psythe

Mega Man 2 for the NES owns!!!

Flashman is so cool. ^^v
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
Chimera_Zero

I don't really have a favorite boss. Maybe Pharoah Man? *shrug* I love all old megaman games, including X1-4. About X5 and X6, I thought X5 was ok, but X6 was just a rush job to me. I Heard they're making an X7 I think. Anyone confirm this?
Chimera_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 03:49 PM   #4
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

yes X7 is coming out, they had a quick video at E3 on it

its for PS2 and its in 3D (gasp). But it looks good, aslo its 2 players so one guy can be X and the Other Zero, so you can play levels co-op.
Unread 12-08-2002, 06:24 PM   #5
pakachu420
Hurraaay Beer!!!!

ZERO!!! ZERO!!! ZERO!!!

pakachu420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 06:40 PM   #6
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

its all about Vile
Unread 12-08-2002, 07:06 PM   #7
psythe

The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing
AND THEIR CERTAINLY NOT SHOWING!!!

ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING!!!!!

*screams*
psythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 07:12 PM   #8
Studmaster
The King of Games!

Ahhh...Megaman, I have a lot of mixed feelings about the Megaman side scrollers. At it's best Megaman is an example of what gaming should and could be. At it's worst, it's an example of what gaming has become.

What I mean by this is look at the first 3 games of the series. When you look Mega Man 1 today, the game is a classic, however it's not without it's flaws and quirks. However, Megaman 1 is still a good game, and is one of the first to have you be able t choose your path to the final battle.

MegaMan 2 is the evolution of the Megaman series. It takes all that is good about the series, and gets rid of the most of the bad in a very good fashion. With newer more challengeing elements in the game. There is even a password system that can be used to save your progress so you can come back to the game later. Even though it's been used before in Metroid, this game also gets attention as it introduces a system that would become one of the biggest parts of Megaman for 8 years.

Megaman 3 is the quinesstial Megaman game for me IMO. While there is a lot of arguements about which game is the best between 2 and 3 for me it's 3 all the way. Not only were there 8 Robot Masters, there were 4 Super Levels that totally remixed the stages and introduced old friends from Mega Man 2. However, if there is one thing that 2 has on 3, it's Dr. Wily's Castle, which was more fun in 2, than it was in 3. However, I still think that 3 was the best Megaman game, and is the example of how Megaman should be.

Megamans 4 - 6 ranged from good to amazing. However each one was missinng the magic that made 2 and 3 the best of the series. It seemed like the series had fallen into a formula by the time we saw MM 6 we knew how the game was going to go.

8 Robot Masters
A 4 stage castle of which the person who was behind the latest threat was housed, only to be revealed that they were either pawns or framed by Dr. Wily

While the games were good, they were toned down from MM 2 and 3, and by 6 it outwore it's welcome. Then we come to MM7 where it becomes obivious that the forumla needs revamping. However MM7 while great fun, fails in 2 aspects.

1) The way Megaman is drawn is just too goofy in game wise. It moves just like the American Mega Man series, which wasn't the best place for the series to go.

2) It's only 12 stages....The second shortest Megaman game to date on a console.

It's a ride that ends too soon for Megaman, and it would be the beginning of a very disturbing trend for Megaman.

Now lets go to the first trilogy of the series...Megaman Xs 1-3 were released on the Super Nintendo as an attempt the revive the series. Now the first time I played MMX I loved it, totally loved it. This was a great revival for the series, however purists looked down on it's look and sound for starters. There was also the problem of the first game being too simple. MMX2 tried to add some more variety to the proceedings, and while it failed in the challenge area, it succeeded in making one of the more fun MM romps. However MMX3 was defintely the Zenith of the X series, with more challeging stages, bosses and secrets out of the wazoo. Like MM3, X3 was the definite game.

However like MM4, X4 pissed away a lot of the progress the first trilogy made. Now the game was almost too easy, and just right for the Playstation generation who were not really used to the challenge of games pass. However, for some X4 was still too hard. Then we come to two games that teeterd on 2 extremes.

Megaman X5 and X6, both are examples of what can happen when challenge is applied wrong. X5 was the easiest Mega Man Side Scroller ever, even on Xtreme the game can be beaten pretty handily by a good gamer. And while the stages were fun, they were too short as well.

As for MMX6, we see them try to go back to a more old school flavor with the difficulty of the game, but what they end up doing is making the game hard for the wrong reasons. Instead of hard bosses and challenging level design. On half the stages, the level design is absoultely horrible and there are too many stupid deaths as well. And while the nightmare system is a good concept it's executed quite poorly, making some levels near impossible. Not to metion that one of the levels is impossible without the right armor, and this isn't to find a secret, it is to advance. Like someone here said X6 was rushed, too rushed.

X7 is coming out soon, however I don't know what to think..It's 3D, and it seems like none of the problems that Megaman has complied over the years will not be answered. While a co-op mode will be nice to play with, it'll mean nothing if it's the same watering down nonsense we've been receving for a decade from this series.

(Okay....I just wrote too much)
2004 has just begun. Are you ready to seize this new year, and grasp things never thought possible. Let go of the past, and the pain it may have bought. It is time to make the best of the present, to secure the future.

The 2004 Studmaster World Tour as of 11/25/03: Katuscon, Philly Gaming Classic (Satuday only), Anime Boston, Animazement Anime Next , Anime Expo, Otakon, Dragon*Con, Nekocon? Anime USA?, MagFest 3.0?
Studmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 07:44 PM   #9
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

I never played the orignal Mega man series n.n' I only plated MML. *only watched the anime*I like Protoman. But my fav's Tron and Teisel from MML.
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 08:03 PM   #10
DJ(SiC)ness
Kyo For President

studmaster

its like you live in my head, and you knew just how i feel.

lol

yeah i hated how they fited4, 5 and 6 together and why did they give you the ultimate armor right at the start in 5 and in 6, it just made things so stupid. You didn't bring up MM8 or the MML's games.

*8 was so bad, mega man sounded like a damn girl
Unread 12-08-2002, 08:38 PM   #11
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I can beat Mega Man 3 easily- it's fun but with the passcodes you can start at Wily's place with all 8 Tanks already. 4-6 at least set the codes so that you could start at the Boss before or at Wily, but you needed to reearn those Energy Tanks.

X3 was WAY damn hard.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #12
Studmaster
The King of Games!

Kaine: Try beating MM3 from the beginning without the Energy Tanks. That's really hard.

Even beating with the Energy Tanks from the first Robot Master is not an easy thing to do. The game is tres long, and there are MANY things that can screw you over. The levels aren't easy like how we would define them, even if they are a little bit of a glossover with advanced skills.
2004 has just begun. Are you ready to seize this new year, and grasp things never thought possible. Let go of the past, and the pain it may have bought. It is time to make the best of the present, to secure the future.

The 2004 Studmaster World Tour as of 11/25/03: Katuscon, Philly Gaming Classic (Satuday only), Anime Boston, Animazement Anime Next , Anime Expo, Otakon, Dragon*Con, Nekocon? Anime USA?, MagFest 3.0?
Studmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 09:42 PM   #13
nails
otaku....des

Megaman 2 was my favorite.. I still wonder why they changed the name and Didn't just use Rockman, I think thats as sweet name too.
nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 04:40 AM   #14
SleepingKirby
Ride on a shooting star!!

For me, Megaman was revolutionary because it was the first side scroller that let your learn stuff. Namely bosses weapons. The first time you get to use the bosses weapons against them. And at the end of the game, you get to see just how possible, different the game play is just by getting the different weapons. For me, the storyline of teh original series was the best at MM3, but the game play was optimized at MM4. That's when Rush was finalized pretty much, as well as the first time they got rid of the small select screen and put everything into one large page. I'd say for the MMX series, I have to say MMX4 was the best. Why? The first time they introduced weapons that doesn't delepte in power when you use it... as well as the dark armor (my fave ). All I really wanted from X5 and X6 was the story line and what happened to Zero. X is still my fave character in the game, but Zero had such a tramatic past... I just had to know what became of him and his cool saber. Oh yeah, Actually the storyline was so-so, but the game play totally rocked in Rockman and Forte (AKD MM9 for SNES) anyone played? But the new Megaman is pretty cool too. Megaman Zero. Sort of Sad and happy at the same time. But you have EXP in this game and it amps your weapons up!!! XD Cool!!! Just not as many cool variety of weapons like you're use to in the norm megaman games. But it's cool either way. XD

Oh wait! Fave villian? Metalman. out of all the megaman weapon, his is probably the most useful and most powerful. ANd he's the only boss in the game (in the history) that can die easily with his own weapon (1-2 shots!!! O.O) After that it's Tengu Man.

Of course, Blues (Protoman) and Bass (forte) rocks too. They were psuedo villians. Why isn't Megaman's dog as cool as Bass's? (Gospel/Tremble)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0589 - megaman zero (u)_04.jpg (51.0 KB, 5 views)

Click here for random Kirbyness.

Last edited by SleepingKirby : 12-09-2002 at 04:44 AM.
SleepingKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 01:53 AM   #15
Minki-The-Monki
Isn't he cute?

What about the Legends games? Personally I didn't really like them I mean sure they weren't THAT bad. I do think they were better then MMX6-7, but they weren't exactly my favorites. I didn't like at first the fact that they were 3D it spoiled the majesty that was MM. I love the good old fashioned sidescrolling MM games. Then there was the stupidest weapon in the entire series made in legends. I don't remember what it was called because I havn't touched the game in god knows how long, but you could get infinate energy, huge range, lock-on ammo, and it as insanely powerful for the game. Once you did all that it made the game a waste of your time to play through. Even though most didn't get all that untill the end it was still a bad thing to have put in the game. I don't like that there was a weapon that you can be clear across the town, and still hit the enemy, and then kill them in practically one hit.

Anywho. I think my favorite MM game was 3. 2, and 3. Those were the best. Seems like a waste to put here ,'cause almost everyone is saying the same thing, but it's true. Studmaster was right MM2 Willy's Castle was better then that of MM3's, but both were very good games.
Minki-The-Monki is offline   Reply With Quote