Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-01-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
Fluffy-chan
Texas Star

Sesshomaru costume

Hey Guys! This is actually my first thread! Yay!!

Well, I guess I could be considered a cosplay amateur because this is only my second costume. I have just discovered cosplay and now, I can't seem to get enough of it! I like to create things and I had so much fun with this costume! Now, I kind of regret finishing it!

Sorry about the sagging armor. I just got glomped by someone and when they glomped me, they accidentally detached it from the black part of the armor. I was unable to prepare myself for these pictures. I'm sooo sorry!!!

How ironic it is to have been severely glomped before the cool people from cosplay.com take my picture! Oh well!

I had to reinforce the whole armor peice but, that's ok! It was no prob to fix!

I love to get advice and give it as well! I would appreciate any advice you guys could give me to better improve this costume! And if you would like advice, I would be happy to help! Just let me know!

Quick edit! I might also want to re-create the front part of the armor (the part with the tassels) because it looks a bit too bulky. Yeah and it kinda bothered me too! I hate being restricted from movement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23FT9205.jpg (168.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 18akon1790-med.jpg (70.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Fluffy-chan : 11-10-2004 at 02:17 AM.
Fluffy-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Digital Blush
Nextcon: Dallas Comic-con

awesome job XD i think i saw you at akon.

Digital Blush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
Cyber Wolf
Bone Daddy

Oh wow, that is one excellant Sesshomaru. As far as improving it goes..I'd say try to get a lumpy type of fur...not one where the hair stands out clearly. One resembling more of a puffball than clearly defined fake fur (hope that makes sense). But other than that the costume seems really excellant, especially the armor; the finish makes it look like real metal ^^

Last edited by Cyber Wolf : 08-01-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Rameana
Space Lion

OMG you did two.. you are like my hero now!!!! ^_^

You are like the most acturate Sesshomaru I've seen so far. You've got both swords...which I rarely see anyone cosplay. Uh, I wish I could have been there to see u at "akon" =sorry my fault for reading stuff too fast. And the BEST fluffy tail I've seen.

I'm in shock and awe!!!

But I have a question:
Do you have fangs to go with InuYasha and Sesshomaru?

Also his shash is more yellow than gold BUT BUT I love the gold more than the yellow gives the costume more detail and realism about it.

Last edited by Rameana : 08-02-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Rameana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
R1KKu

Ooh very nice! Im especially lovin your swords. And your armor is, well, simply well done. One of the best Ive seen so far.Your sash turned out really nice, but I'm not sure about the color. The hexagon pattern turned out really well too (curse those hexs) I do agree with the fluff in that it could be poofier though.
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
Fluffy-chan
Texas Star

Thanks for the comments guys!!

I really thought about using the actual color that Sesshomaru uses but, I hate yellow with a passion for some odd reason. That color hurts my eyes!! (You know, that eye pain that you get when you’re outside driving by those neon carwash signs. >.<) I thought that antique gold would work well to compliment the rest of the costume. It even has mini hexagon prints all over that match Sesshomaru’s prints! It also contains 14 kt gold! (pretty price too >.<)

I wanted to go for the realistic look as well. For the sake of the character, I may make an extra sash in the right color. Just to feel better! ^.*

And about the fluff: Those are great ideas! The only thing is that it gives me a blind spot when going around the con. I would hate to bump into the random "evil" con-goer that will scream at you for bumping into them. I might consider making it bigger by stuffing it or something.

I'm glad that you like the costume!
Unread 08-01-2004, 11:25 PM   #7
Fluffy-chan
Texas Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameana
OMG you did two.. you are like my hero now!!!! ^_^

You are like the most acturate Sesshomaru I've seen so far. You've got both swords...which I rarely see anyone cosplay. Uh, I wish I could have been there to see u at Otakon. And the BEST fluffy tail I've seen.

I'm in shock and awe!!!

But I have a question:
Do you have fangs to go with InuYasha and Sesshomaru?

Also his shash is more yellow than gold BUT BUT I love the gold more than the yellow gives the costume more detail and realism about it.
Thank you Rameana-san, Unfortunately, I have never been to Otakon. (cries)

Thanks for all the compliments! I simply adore your Koga costume! Do you have a costume critique?

I would like to purchase some fangs for my costume but, I'm not sure how long they'll last. I can't stand having things in my mouth. >.<

I usually never talk to anyone so they'll never know if I have them or not!! Hehe!

You would go nuts if you only knew how many times my fluffy got stepped on! XD
Unread 08-01-2004, 11:32 PM   #8
Mariks_Dragon
Distroyer of Yami

I think that you have done a better job on that costume then other people. Sesshomaru is my favorite character. And I think that you make a cute Sesshomaru too.
Mariks_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #9
mukino_kuneka

My two cents:

The sash colour. The gold hurts my eyes.

I hate yellow with a passion as well, but I'd personally use it if it would make my costume more accurate.

And you friggin' NAILED the hexagon pattern! I have NEVER seen a more accurate one. Never never never.
mukino_kuneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2004, 01:09 AM   #10
oninomiko
Sheli-chan, nyu!

You even have the fake nails!!!! SEXY BOY!!!! Omg can I have your babies? Haha as for fangs try:

http://www.vampfangs.net/shop/produc...ad20c223655fdc

I have em and they arent bad at all! But DONT file the bottoms of em - then it gets rough and hurts - I did that and now I wanna get a new pair.

But yeah I just dont like the gold part... ^^; But other than that youre great! <333

<3 Sheli
oninomiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Rameana
Space Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy-chan
Thank you Rameana-san, Unfortunately, I have never been to Otakon. (cries)

Thanks for all the compliments! I simply adore your Koga costume! Do you have a costume critique?

I would like to purchase some fangs for my costume but, I'm not sure how long they'll last. I can't stand having things in my mouth. >.<

I usually never talk to anyone so they'll never know if I have them or not!! Hehe!

You would go nuts if you only knew how many times my fluffy got stepped on! XD
Yea, I went back and made the correction, I ment to say Akon and Otakon. I was excited reading that I THOUGHT it said Otakon. ^_^ Sorry, but still I wish I could have been there.

Yes, I have a critique up here:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=40095

The fangs:
Uh I had a hard time with them because I was rushing at the Convention and the top part of the fang rubbed the inside of my lip, it was kinda uncomfortable. BUT I gained more pleasure from them than pain, because people loved em. I'm going to try and file down the top part by the gum, and leave the fang point alone.
Unread 08-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #12
Fragmentor
Because I can't fly...

i have to say, this has to be the best Sesshoumaru cosplay i have seen. It is pretty well completeley accurate, you have a decent wig (thank you!) and you have done all the little things - nails, both swords, good makeup (even the hands!!!) etc...im am v.v.v.v.v impressed. amazing.

the only thing would be the fluffy tail thing. as someone said above, it look more like a puffball...but it hardly detracts. im really looking hard here LOL

i may be able to help you with the fangs. my dad is a dentist, and my sis needed little fangs (like Inu or Sesshy)for a costume. he basically got some sort of amalgam stuff and moulded the desired shape onto the tooth. so all you have to do is slip them over the tooth, but they look VERY realistic. ive seen store bought one and well, theyd ruin such a fabulous costume. it does take some time but you get used to them really quick, just a little talking practice is needed lol
Unread 08-02-2004, 09:17 PM   #13
Rameana
Space Lion

how much would your father charge? I was looking to buy custome fangs myself.
Unread 08-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #14
Fluffy-chan
Texas Star

Yes! Thanks! I would also like to know the same thing!

How much does he charge to do something like that?!
Unread 08-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #15
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

I had the old version of the scarecrow fangs, the vampfangs with thermoplastic and they were very comfortable and I didn't lisp at all after a little practice. It did take several tries to mold the thermoplastic correctly though. They looked awesome too, several people at school asked if they were real...what the hell did they mean by that anyway? lol!

Awesome costume though! The sesshy armor I'm working on actually looks a lot like that...is that silver pvc? That's what I'm using, foam, pvc, and fimo for the spikes. Plus kendo armor...which costs a small fortune. I actually like the gold for the sash...I think it works very well. I used goldenrod myself, and yes, it gives me a headache but with the kendo armor on I won't have to look at it hopefully! XD! How to you attach the hexagon pattern to the kimono, it looks very nice! I used appliques and I don't recommend it, very time consuming. As for the fluffy, it could be bigger, but the way it sits is completely accurate, a lot of people ignore the fact that it attaches under the arm and you can't see both ends. Also, did you stuff the pants with something? because they look great, definate hammer action How did you make Tokijin? It looks really good. I have a tenseiga but the more I think about it the more I want to make a Tokijin.

About the yellow contacts, I don't recommend the cat eye ones, I used to have some and unless they're prism balanced like the ones from 9mmfx they'll spin on you and they're not the right color for inu or fluffy, they're really light yellow almost neon. I'd either go for the wolf ones or get a custom job from 9mmfx. I decided to go with them because I've already resigned to the fact that this costume will end up costing me over $400 so why not go for broke?

Terrific costume though, other than the japanese cosplayer Kaie Tada, that has got to be the best Sesshoumaru I've ever seen!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote