Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gundam

Unread 08-03-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
AnsatsushA
I want Catgirls!!!!

Any Suggestions on Cosplaying Gundam HeavyArms?

i was just at Otakon '04 and cosplayed as Gaara and Kankuro - for the gourd i used wire mesh/chicken wire and paper mached it and painted it - i have to say that some parts of it were quite sharp - for the marionette for kankuro - i just wrapped the gourd in athletic tape -

so im thinking of going as a Gundam for my next cosplay - i dont know which con yet though -

so anyway - what would be a good yet affordable way of making a Gundam Costume.

ive seen people with transformers and other mecca cosplays and i was thinking its just the same.

thanks.
AnsatsushA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
thorian

I am in the planning stages for a Robotech veritech (battleoid) it seems that I may be trying out my hand at using cardboard for the rough shape then fiberglassing it to give me some strength.

Ill let you know how that goes as I plan on doing the Arms first Just to Prove the concept. However if it did work as planned it should last for a long time and be a interesting piece of sculpture when it is not on. (using a armor stand and hanging it on there )

Tip 1 If you have never used Fiberglass before, Check your hobby shops for Radio control airplanes and get/ask for a beginers fiberglass book. there are even a few decent online tutorials. Reinforcing something with fiberglass is easier then Moulding something out of fiberglass especally if you are only making a 1 of piece (example your pauldron for cloud.

BONDO IS HEAVY to fill in small seams and cracks pits dents etc use a product called Micro balloons they mix in with the resin you use in a 3 parts ( by volume ) Microbaloon to 1 part resin ( a 12 fl oz jar feels empty when you pick it up the stuff is extremely light 1

Use the best quality paint you can afford and mask off areas that you dont want over spray to cover

Oh and for odd shapes dont underestimate the power of a good paper mache mold Make the mould out of paper mache fiberglass teh mould then after the mould is cured it is as strong as ever

To keep your resin from soaking in to what ever you are trying to fiberglass be it a wood mold or cardboard brush on a coat of vasaline that way it will only coat the fiberglass cloth or fibers.
thorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
AnsatsushA
I want Catgirls!!!!

wow thanks for those suggestions - im gonna go pick up a fiberglass book and see what other stuff i can find out - thanks again
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
thorian

all of the above was true with model airplanes so i assumed it would work the same with a mecha. oh on a safety note USE IT OUTSIDE the resin stinks to high heven and the fumes are toxic. YOU NEED LOTS OF FRESH AIR!!!! ( cant stress that enough) also wear some kind of resperator or a HEPA mask to limit how much of that crap you breathe. SAFETY GOGGLES ARE ALSO HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED ( you cant see where you are going with out eyes and cosplaying blind could be a bummer as you couldent see the costumes (fealing them may get you slapped)

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

the above is a basic tutorial in fiberglassing (the guy is making speakerboxes but the principals are still the same) the beer in the tutorial is not nessesary if not of Legal Age
thorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
AnsatsushA
I want Catgirls!!!!

whoa thanks alot - i also read that cheap baseball helmets would be good to cover up with some paper mache or something for helmets.
Unread 08-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
AnsatsushA
I want Catgirls!!!!

hmm... but since this is my first time making a gunam cosplay - and ive never worked with fiberglass or resin before i might reconsider about using those, waah i dont want my gundam cosplay to be my coffin yet lol
Unread 08-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
Seig Warheit
Banned

OOOOH! I have a suggestion! Lots of patience, and a steady hand.
Seig Warheit is offline   Reply With Quote