Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
dchan
Disney Princess

Talking Cosplay mention in newspaper article about Anime ^_^

Here's a copy of the article ^_^;; It made the front page of the "Voice" section in the Springfield, IL State Journal Register Today.

--------------------------------------

MADE IN Japan

An imported style of animation draws devoted fans

By NATHAN ATKINSON
Voice Correspondent

The instant her 9-year-old brother, Ian, introduced her to the anime TV show, "Dragonball Z," Leah Jenner was hooked.
"The art was not all that superior, nor the dialogue or plot," Leah said. "However, it was something different, something I'd never seen before, and I was intrigued."
Leah, now a freshman at the Illinois Institute of Art in Chicago and a 2004 Sacred Heart-Griffin graduate, remains addicted to Japanese animation, or anime.
She is not alone.
Anime and its comic-book counterpart, mangas, have a devoted fan base that transcends age and nationality. There are movies, television shows, fan-created music videos, novels and video games based on anime. In 2002, the full-length anime movie "Spirited Away" earned $250 million internationally and won an Oscar for best animated film.
"If you look at the size of the anime section at the local Best Buy, you can get an idea of how big it really is - i.e., big," said John Jenner, Leah's father and president of the local I-Con Anime Fan Club, which as 23 members.
In the late 1950s, Japan's first American-style animation studio started making cartoons modeled after those produced by Disney, according to "A Capsule History of Anime," an article on the Animation World Network.
However, it wasn't until 1988 that mainstream America discovered anime with the release of the thriller "Akira," according to fans on Goriya's Domain Animanga, a website for anime enthusiasts.
Anime ranges from being kid-firendly to featuring adult themes. While some of the most popular anime films feature lots of blood and gore, it is usually edited out when shown on television. Among the cartoons, common traits are characters with protruding veins in the middle of the forehead, sweatdrops and huge guns.
And there are different genres, such as fantasy, sci-fi, romance, comedy, drama and action.
"There's something that will appeal to nearly everyone," Jenner said.
Most anime cartoons unfold in a similar style. Unlike American cartoons, in which each episode has a separate and complete plot line, anime shows have ongoing storylines.
"Each episode is a part of one big story," said Shea Sims, a junior at Rochester High Shcool. "The story doesn't end until the very final episode of the series."
Some devout fans say the average American doesn't understand the anime phenomenon. Many people are unaware of the amount of anime that exists, because only a small portion is shown on television. And certain shows, such as the popular TV series and card game "Pokemon," have become overrated.
"Just because you're into the newest trend on Cartoon Network or the WB does not make you a hardcore anime fan," says Ashley Lynch, a freshman at Lincoln Land Community College who was home schooled.
Jenner said many kids watch anime shows on television without realizing what they're watching.
"Only later do they find out that it is all part of a wider genre of animation," Jenner said.
That was the case with Zach Claflin, a freshman at Truman State University and Southeast High School graduate. "Anime is something I grew up with and didn't know what it was," he said.
Zach, who has visited Japan, aspires to become a voice actor or voice-acting director for anime films.
For some fans, anime transcends TV shows and comic books.
Lauren Schermerhorn, a junior at Athens High School, draws anime-style art, usually while watching an anime film.
"Whenever the basement is vacant, or the house itself is quiet or momentarily empty, I would be sitting in front of a TV, watching an anime DVD, drawing until I am one pencil short," Lauren said.
Some anime fans enjoy the fan-produced fiction, art, music videos and comics more than the series these supplements are based on. Leah said she watches fan-produced anime music videos online.
But being an anime fan can be time-consuming and expensive.
Lauren spends three to five hours a day watching or reading some form of anime. When she and her friends go to the mall, they immediately head to the anime sections of book and media stores.
Ashley likes to dress up as characters from mangas, anime films, and anime video games, a hobby called costume-playing, or cosplay. Between buying anime films and cos-play, Ashley said she spends at least $500 a year on anime.
Still, the cost doesn't deter some teen anime fans from carrying their interest into adulthood. Lauren said her love for anime is likely to linger long past her teen years.
"I don't doubt it," she said, "I've been an anime fan for 10 years already."

Last edited by dchan : 08-03-2004 at 10:43 PM.
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2004, 12:13 AM   #2
ohhgeezitshey
dont make me get the gun!

oh wow! great article!! ^__^
ohhgeezitshey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 01:38 AM   #3
Smllady

Why do people always say that art in anime looks like crap?
Have they even seen the crap they have on now on Saturday morning in the US?
Most anime(even TV anime) has better art than most US cartoons...

I dunno...maybe it's just me...
Smllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
dchan
Disney Princess

Not a clue. *huggles her anime* I think Leah was just referring to DBZ when she was talking about first getting into anime, you know how reporters can twist the meaning of what you really said to fit their article, even if they're directly quoting you x.X;;
Unread 08-04-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Yakuza03
Cosplayer in Exile

Good Article. For me, my budget would be $1000 of Anime/month (planning to get Business Degree, Mind you) and living in a small, but decent apartment. Anyway, I like the article. You don't see that everyday.

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot Productions (WTF Productions). Irony is our business.

Experimental animusical skit/masquerade happening at Fanime, Sunday.

Music "Betrayed" from the musical "The Producers"
Character featuring from "Dead or Alive", Bayman.
Yakuza03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
Serria
tea-drinker

It's a nice article, but I have the feeling that some non-anime people will read it, especially the end bit about money and "three to five hours a day with some form of anime" and think, wow, they're obsessed...

Ah well. XD It's their fault if they don't realize that we just do what we love doing. ^_^
Serria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
TwiliteSea
More active on ACP.

"If you look at the size of the anime section at the local Best Buy, you can get an idea of how big it really is - i.e., big,"
Hell yes.
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
Zirofax
The Goblin Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serria
It's a nice article, but I have the feeling that some non-anime people will read it, especially the end bit about money and "three to five hours a day with some form of anime" and think, wow, they're obsessed...

Ah well. XD It's their fault if they don't realize that we just do what we love doing. ^_^

I dunno, I don't think that they should have added that. It makes us sound like a buch of crazy people... oh wait.. we are.. never mind!

TwiliteSea - the funny thing is, I was just talking to my friend about best buy's anime section while reading this.

http://zirofax.deviantart.com
Zirofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #9
Apocoliptic

Good Article

Good article >.< DBZ was probably the first "anime" i saw..... an anime isnt an anime unless it has subtitles in my opinion =D I can stand to watch how much stuff they slash out over here in the U.S =\ My first movie i saw was Akira, not the best looking but sure enough one of my all time favorites just because it was the first i saw. .... I dont know how some of can you waste everyday watching anime non-stop though >.< ... i havent watched a new anime in awhile now..... Otakus... crazy isolated from the outside world people? nah .... just doing what they love.... when i first got into anime i would spend everyday watching a full series trying to see more and more >.< but now i just cant do that anymore =P .... i dont go outside lol ...... i just sit in my room and play guitar/game all day now.... but i still love an anime every so often !

Yep, when i take over the world freakishly tall people will snap in half when they die, and short people shall crush down, and skinny people will explode, and fat people will implode...... and yes when i take over i will control reality !

Last edited by Apocoliptic : 08-04-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Apocoliptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Neatness. There was an article in a Calgary Sun, too, about Anime and the upcoming Otafest, also in Calgary. But that was way back in March/February, and my mom never keeps the paper. ><
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
Anime_Empress
Miss Imperial

Nice artical. ^_^

I wonder what non-anime fans would think. ^_^

Dhahaha...Year of the mainstream. Isn't it special when you find you were born in the year anime became mainstream.....

Last edited by Anime_Empress : 08-04-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Anime_Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:31 PM   #12
Katu Fushigi
Sarcasm: That's original.

I would have to agree. The old Dragonball Z episodes look like crap. >< GT's okay, though.

You know, the should have noticed anime about oh, 20 years ago?

Still good article.

Now, if the city of Wilmington wasn't so ignorant, we could get something like that published here.
Unread 08-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #13
Avian_Firefly
Goddess of Ruin

hehe, anime in the news. Our news station has a bit about otakon on Saturday ^_^

Otakon 2014
Stocking Anarchy-Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Sailor Jupiter-Sailor Moon
Hotaru Tomoe-Sailor Moon
Primera-Magic Knight Rayearth
Rosebride Kozue-Revolutionary Girl, Utena

https://www.facebook.com/AviFly
Avian_Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 03:32 PM   #14
Kanna-chan

Nice article! Although, like many others who posted here, I'm wondering what non-Anime fans will think...

There was also a cosplay and anime/manga-related article in some other newspaper a few months ago. You see, the teachers at my school know how much I love anime and manga, so one day my homeroom teacher is all, "Oh, I found something in the newspaper this morning that might interesting you," and hands me the page with the article on cosplaying. Then later my friend's mom, who works at the school, comes up to me while I'm heading back to my classroom and is all, "Oh, I found something that might interest you..." and hands me the same article. xD I take it anyway so I can show my friend. o__o They're catching onto us...

Gah! I just realized how much I'm babbling on and on about nothing... sorreh... x__x
Kanna-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 08:24 PM   #15
dchan
Disney Princess

Lol. Tis okee, we forgive you ^_^

I actually talked to a few people non-otaku who read the article. They thought it was "cool."