Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-11-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
chibi_chocobo
A chocobo stands here

Question Help with Akatsuki (Naruto) Costume!

Ok, I've read all (I believe) the threads about how to make the Akatsuki robes, basically the ones Itachi and Kisame wore. But no one really seems to mention how the cloak is held closed ....what do you ppl use? zippers (can you get them that long? O_o), buttons, velcro (spelt right?), etc... Help!

And the clouds...what technique do you suggest? If it's the applique one... what materials for the clouds? As in the same type of cloth as the robes... or even finer quality? Thanks if I seem slow on these things! Perfectionist kinda...

P.S. I'm not really going to cosplay Itachi :P...just a missing-nin of Akatsuki... I mean...they gotta have a female member right? The robes were too kewl in the anime

Unread 08-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
hikarilight
Finder of Truth

I know what you mean, I just wanted to be a random missing nin as well but in the end, decided to do Itachi XD

Well, as I was flipping through the manga pages, I found that they cloak is held together with buttons, you know those snap kind. So I decided to do that for mine. However, it only shows buttons for the top, you know how he likes to open it to put his hand through. So I guess you can have it either all buttons, part buttons, part zipper/velco if you like?

For the clouds, I appliqued. As for materials, I have no clue for this costume was the first time I used fabric. I just used the same red as I did for the second layer. But I was picky with the fabrics I chose, trying to keep them to something similar as the cloak itself, since I'm a perfectionist as well ^^;;

I hope this helps ^^
Unread 08-12-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
chibi_chocobo
A chocobo stands here

Thanks for the info ^.^ that helped a bit... I guess I'm on my own with the fabric, eh? I guess I was thinking about snap buttons too, but my, that's alot of buttons ! Let's hope appliquing them won't show my badly cut edges on the clouds . Hmm..would a different color on the beads be a good idea? I'm so indecisive lol.
Unread 08-12-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
hikarilight
Finder of Truth

You're welcome ^^

Maybe someone else will comment and help you with that ^^;; Being new to fabric is not easy, I still am seeing as I need to buy some more soon XD

Actually, it's not a lot of buttons, i only used 10 but maybe that's because I spaced it some bit...

Yea, my edges are also cut badly but I tried to best to fix that..

As for the beads, it depends on what version you want to do, manga or anime. But for me, I didn't do those beads on that hat he has since I decided not to do the hat for now XD

I'm indecisive too XD
Unread 08-13-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
☆Skull Rabbit☆

Hey, does he wear pants? haha

I mean, umm, how to explain....

In one picture I have, it has kind of like tight things that go on his legs with the thing at the bottom that goes under the shoe, like what little children wear But, I only see from where his cloak ends. \

I think it makes sense.. ? ahaha
Unread 08-13-2004, 09:33 PM   #6
hikarilight
Finder of Truth

Yes, Itachi wears pants. Black pants to be precise ^^
Unread 08-13-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
☆Skull Rabbit☆

how far do those leg thingies go up then? like, the knee or a little lower??
Unread 08-14-2004, 12:28 AM   #8
BlackMarth
BUILT THIS IN A CAVE

They go either at the knee or a little below it.

I held mine together with hooks and eyes, leaving the bottom alone to let it flow. It also allowed my to slip my one hand between two of them to do his look and have both my hands functional (I used one sleeve, from the manga).

For the clouds (very last step), I used the same red material as my Itachi cloak lining, and looked between three pictures of Itachi to see which clouds he had consistent between them. I cut out paper shapes first, scaled in size to my cloak, and pinned it to the fabric, cutting it out bigger than the shape. Then I took white fabric paint, and used a fine brush to paint the lining, then cut off the extra red fabric outside the paint. I was worried about fraying even though it was fabric painted pretty thickly, so I coated the underside of it, along the edges, with clear nail polish. Then I hand-sewed it to my cloak when heat and bond failed, it nearly killed my thumb, fabric paint, nail polish, cotton, and a mostly polyester fabric together make it VERY hard to push a needle through. Get a thimble @_@.

I know some of you are doubting the use of fabric paint, I know my friends didn't believe me when I said I used it until they saw it...not only is it the easiest method to do the lining, it gives you a nice consistent lining, free of the piecing together of white fabric I've seen other people do.

PROOF THAT IT DOESN'T LOOK CRAPPY O_<!
http://neontempest.com/roa/uploads/p...1091993057.jpg

Last edited by BlackMarth : 08-14-2004 at 12:31 AM.
BlackMarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
chibi_chocobo
A chocobo stands here

Thanx ppl! >.< Darn computer messin' up on meh....

O.o That sounds like everyone has a hard time with the clouds. Hmm...does the collar just hold up with the buttons...or you interface it, layer it?
I hope I don't burn in black.
Unread 08-14-2004, 02:30 PM   #10
hikarilight
Finder of Truth

I had to interface my collar to make it stay up and it's stays up pretty good XD
Unread 08-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
BlackMarth
BUILT THIS IN A CAVE

Even with extra strength interfacing, it didn't stay up with one layer, I suggest more layers.
Unread 08-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #12
☆Skull Rabbit☆

heh I am gonna use white fabric paint to for the outline of the clouds, it was the first idea that came to mind when thinking how to do the costume
Unread 08-15-2004, 04:31 AM   #13
chibi_chocobo
A chocobo stands here

I should put in like secret pockets too, XD...but lots to do already as it is! I think I should get extra black cloth just in case... ....
Btw,...does your bell for the tassle thingy...actually ring like it does in the episodes? Er...my bell kinda weak, but I guess it's good enough for its size... The bell in the anime sounds more like a bike bell chime or something O.o
Hmm....wonder what about his ring? Does anyone know what it says? I'm illiterate in that way >.<
Unread 08-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #14
BlackMarth
BUILT THIS IN A CAVE

Yes, my bell rings, but it's impossible to get the deep anime ring from so small (and correctly-sized in real life) a bell. His ring is a white ring with a red circle that says "North" in the anime but can also mean "top," "heaven," you get the idea (it's both a Chinese and Japanese character). Likewise, Kisame's ring has a yellow circle and says "South."
Unread 08-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #15
chibi_chocobo
A chocobo stands here

Hmm..So maybe that would give it some way to have an "East" and a "West" too O.<? Btw was the pattern really hard to figure out? I sorta have an idea...but it can turn either way...