Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 08-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #1
Rikkie
I'm H2O intolerant.

Eyebrows

lol, I've hated my eyebrows for as long as i can remember. My eyebrows were okay, but when I was little my mom was gave me this razor to shape it!! crazy! but since then the shape's been pretty bad..its overplucked. it doesnt seem to grow back...It's horrible!

They don't look very nice in pictures..I want to get them waxed so they would look neater, but I'm afraid it'll make it even thinner. I don't know much about this stuff soo i was wondering if anyone could tell me more about waxing..And any tips would help, thanks!

Unread 08-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #2
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

I get mine waxed regularly.

If you are intent on getting them waxed, I would suggest going to a spa, not a hair salon that does waxings on the side. Do NOT do them yourself if you've never had a waxing before. Your really want someone who does this all the time. Get recommendations from friends or family if you can.

Let your eyebrows grow out as much as you can stand. Wax may not be able to grip really short hairs. Wash your face well, and do not wear foundation type makeup or eye makeup. Makeup around your eyes will affect how the wax sticks, and you don't want mascara as your eyes might start tearing.

The nice person with the hot wax should draw a line with an eyebow pencil so they have a guideline AND so you can see how the shape will turn out. Insist on this step, even if the waxer doesn't want to do it. Ask to see your face with the line BEFORE they start waxing. Ask questions. If you don't like how the shape is draw, ask for it to be done again. You should be in control, don't let them talk you into a shape you don't think you'll like.

I'm not going to lie, waxing hurts. Its not unbearable pain, but it stings like mad for a few seconds.

Look at your brows again before you leave. If you don't like the job, ask them to pluck. Also make sure they have gotten all the wax off with their handy wax remover, as it is not so easy to do at home.

Don't make your waxing appointment the day you have to be somewhere. Your skin will turn a lovely shade of "I just got my eyebrows done" pink and stay that way for quite a few hours.
Unread 08-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
ShatteredSunset
The Triad

I was wondering this myself. Thank you, Kali ^^
Unread 08-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
Rikkie
I'm H2O intolerant.

wow thanks, that helped a lot but what I'm concerned about is that my eyebrows are already so thin I'd have to fill them in...and in some spots they arent growing back at all so I'm still deciding if I should go anyways
Unread 08-17-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
Umi
Bass-inating

I think your eyebrows look nice, it's neither thick or thin. But, if you really don't like your eyebrows I ditto the eyebrow waxing idea. In fact, be sure to pick out a place that advertises "eyebrow design" rather than "eybrow waxing" and tell them specifically you don't want your eyebrows to be thin and to just clean up the shape. If you already think your brows are too thin, may I suggest a brow pencil as part of your daily makeup routine? All my aunts use it because they have super thin and light colored eyebrows, with the right application it'll look natural. =D
Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
nekhochan

As someone who waxes for a living, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I don't ever draw a line on anyone, nor were we taught that in school nor have I ever met anyone who does. its a good idea, and maybe you should draw the line yourself to let them know what stays and what goes.

Make sure they trim the length of your eyebrows before waxing. Some people have long hair on their eyebrows, and trimming it down by first brushing it up with a disp. mascara wand and then trimming with tiny scissors works really well.

To help numb, you may try some anbesol applied and then washed off before your appointment to take the bite out of waxing. Its just lidocaine, so it temporarily numbs the skin.

I would make sure your waxer uses pot wax as opposed to the roll on ones, as you don't have as much control with a roller and the quality of wax thats in those rollers isn't great.

Again, have a good consultation before and make clear what you want. Also, if you are having problems growing them in, try a product by a haircare line called Nioxin called Follicle Booster. Search on google or yahoo, or check a local salon to find their products. ULTA stores carries it I know.

Don't tweeze or pluck at home for 3-4 weeks for optimal growth for your first wax. Also, don't try to "maintain" tweeze. It just isn't worth it. I can't even do my own eyebrows, so that says something right there. Leave it to a professional. You need that objective person who is more cautious and has that outside perspective to work on you.
nekhochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #7
Rikkie
I'm H2O intolerant.

Oh i seee, thanks so much everyone!!...with all the info I'm sure it will work out great