Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime USA

Unread 08-18-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
Chukkie
King of Procrastination

should I bring my friend with me

I was wondering if it was a good idea to bring my non-otaku friend along to this con. Normally I wouldn't since he doesn't strike me as being into these kind of things, but unfortunatley I live in NC and he lives in Philidelphia. So needless to say, we don't get to see each other very often, which sucks considering how he is my best friend. And when I say best friend, I mean BEST friend. I'd take a bullet for him if I could get a garuntee that I wouldn't die from it. Now that's friendship! Anyway I thought that it would be a cool idea to meet up with each other here since it's kind of the mid-point between our residences. So what's your opinion? Is it a good idea, or just a waste of time?

If the world didn't suck, then we would all fall off of it.
Chukkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
animepimp

Of course you should bring your best friend!!!! Who knows. Maybe he willl get into anime. Then again as I always say"either your into anime or your not."
animepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
YunalescaSummon
Blurple!

Definitely. There's tons of non anime related stuff to do. You guys could play video games...etc. And its not a huge con like otakon where he would definitely be scared off...

"Conformity is for those with no imagination."
YunalescaSummon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
Mandyness
Meep! Yip! and Woof!

Well i have the same question I have friends that just want to go to see the boys and they don't like anime or games anything like that and i'm like ummm...... i don't know. So what do you think i should do also?
Mandyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Sorahana
...That was a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyness
Well i have the same question I have friends that just want to go to see the boys and they don't like anime or games anything like that and i'm like ummm...... i don't know. So what do you think i should do also?
Well if they were my friends I wouldn't because why waste the money if they just wanna go see boys? They can do that at home...........for free XD. But thats my opnion its completely up to you ^^.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

You guys are too nice. I force my non-otaku friends to go at gunpoint.

Umm.... that's a metaphor.... :shifty eyes:
Darxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

Seriously, though. I do get my non-otaku friends to go. They don't usually get into anime as a result, but they always enjoy themselves.

"You've heard of anime, right? No? Well, go anyway."

I mean, it's basically just a 3-day party with side attractions.
Unread 08-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Mandyness
Meep! Yip! and Woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darxim
Seriously, though. I do get my non-otaku friends to go. They don't usually get into anime as a result, but they always enjoy themselves.

"You've heard of anime, right? No? Well, go anyway."

I mean, it's basically just a 3-day party with side attractions.
Ya i know it just at time they drive me crazy and that one day lol. So i might.
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
trigunvash
Zombie eliminator

Does you're friend like video games?
I have non anime friends who go to cons with myself a few times, they enjoy the video gaming / table top tournaments etc aspect the most.
trigunvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 04:26 PM   #10
Mandyness
Meep! Yip! and Woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigunvash
Does you're friend like video games?
I have non anime friends who go to cons with myself a few times, they enjoy the video gaming / table top tournaments etc aspect the most.
they don't like anything that they say it is boyish so ya....I have some other friends that like anime and stuff that i am going to ask.
Unread 08-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #11
Fireflystar
I'm just 1 wish away

I brought along a friend of mine last year who was 22, a girl, and didn't even really know what anime was. We were there from Fri.-Sat. night, and it was fine. I could tell she was getting bored at points (dealer's room is very boring for people not into anime/video games) but suprisingly she really liked the Live-action Sailor Moon show and the Japanese soap opera shows @_@
If your friends get bored, just drive out to Tyson's outlets or something for dinner, and try not to do something for more than an hour unless they're havin a blast too.
Unread 08-18-2004, 09:26 PM   #12
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Think about your friend's interests, my sister is interested in psychology and anthropology so I took her to the panels. Always meet lots of nice people at ausa so she wouldn't be lonley when i went to the video rooms and she didn't want to go.

Now she hits the same cons I do and even dragged me to Anime Next.
makotohanabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2004, 10:53 PM   #13
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

I primarily hit on cute girls and hang out.

When I attend an anime convention, the only part of it that's anime for me is the costumes. I skip most everything else, and never set foot inside a video room (I can watch anime at home, but I don't have parties there).
Unread 08-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #14
Mandyness
Meep! Yip! and Woof!

well i look at the costumes go to some of the panels if there someone want to see or hear about. Then i go into the dealers room YAY SHOPPING! anyways then i like playing games i crazy for my games. Then at times i will go in to the video rooms ig i have nothing to do early in the morning like 1 or 2am so ya. Most of the time i say up.

So My friends that do not like anime would kill because we would have to stay together and stuff. For sure they hate Anime....They call it cartoons and boyish. so ya i'll find some my other friends that like anime.
Unread 08-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #15
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyness
So My friends that do not like anime would kill because we would have to stay together and stuff. For sure they hate Anime....They call it cartoons and boyish. so ya i'll find some my other friends that like anime.
I think we're showing Rose of Versailles this year. See how boyish they think that show is. It takes place in France and Austria (mostly France) about 20 years before the French Revolution. It's not a show a man could watch and enjoy without questioning his manliness. Me, I don't know if I was enjoying the show or the attention from the girls, but I'm going to guess that I liked the backrub a lot better than the show (watched it at the anime club).

Aside from that, I don't see why you'd have to stay together. Also, at 2am, there's a lot more fun of things to do than watch anime. That's usually my favorite hour at Anime USA. Last year, we were having kind of a party out in that area on the Mezzanine level (aka the upper floor) where there's a couch and a couple armchairs. That was pretty fun. Also, having cute girls try to take naps on me was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I may cosplay as a pillow this year.