Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 12-12-2002, 08:18 AM   #1
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

New Five Star Stories?

Not exactly new, translated 5 Star Stories from the 80's are coming to comic book shops near you! I just received the first two volumes for Christmas, and have to plug them for the costume designs, and the witty author commentary.

There's also a great deal for all of the mecha fans out there, as well as those who like classic chivalric literature.

Yup. Love those Haz Knight suits. I have a weakness for uniforms, almost always.

Grandis
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2002, 01:04 AM   #2
HiImKing

I don't understand why FSS doesn't have a huge cosplay following like in Asia... (well, I guess I do.. it's a manga/resin kit only, and price tags only adults can afford... )

I like the translated books, but they cost 3 times as much... so I've just stuck with the original Japanese comics.

I still have yet to find a picture of that costume of Junchoon people have wrote about, anywhere on the internet... does anyone have a pic of that fabled Junchoon cosplayer?
HiImKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2002, 04:12 PM   #3
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Yep, picked up the 2 translated FSS books couple of weeks ago. Of course, I am still borrowing a friends japanese manga for characters not yet seen in US version. Unfortunately, Ssizz's costume details change in almost every panel - argh. I have 2 FSS costumes in progress, 2 in serious planning.

Hopefully will see more cosplay from series when people start checking out the Toypress english edition.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2003, 11:24 PM   #4
sundancekat
geek of all trades

I think FSS isn't that popular in English-speaking land because it's a little hard to follow if you can't understand Japanese. The story skips around so much, there are so many different characters and multiple sub-plots...I mean, if there are more source books (I'm not just counting artbooks) than actual published manga, you know the story is complicated.

I think that turns a lot of people away...the story is confusing and the artwork is sort of an acquired taste. It takes a lot of work to like it more deeply than just a "ooh pretty pictures" thing.
sundancekat is offline   Reply With Quote