Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 08-23-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
number18
cyborg playgirl

Help with Caska (Berserk). A period/ren type costume!

Hm. I'm going to cosplay Caska from Berserk, which is set in a fictional land that is much like our rennaissance period. I would LIKE to make as much of Caska's costume out of appropriate materials, but I am unsure of a few things, like her pants, boots...and some armor related garments. I've attached a few pics for reference.

Firstly, for the time period, does anyone know exactly what kind of materials they would use for pants like that (refer to caska4.jpg)? I don't think it would be something as simple as cotton, and perhaps they would be made out of a soft animal hyde? What are riding pants made out of? I was thinking of buying some suede, because I can't imagine pants that someone fights and rides in often would be made out of something like canvas or cotton or something similar.

Secondly, can ANYONE tell me what those peculiar folds are at the ankle of her boots? They seem to, in some pictures, be something that accompanies spurs, but in other pictures, she is shown with the leather folds and no spurs on. Perhaps it is some sort of protective measure to getting chopping in the foot while riding? I have no clue what purpose they serve or what they might even be called. :/

Lastly, in most of the series (the anime), when Caska is not wearing armor, she is pictured in a salmony pink tunic. In the anime, when she wears armor, she has the same tunic on underneath. In the manga, however, the tunic she wears is a neutral color...and from the caska5.jpg (which is a TV production sketch), it seems that perhaps she changes to wear a specific tunic underneath her armor (since her usual tunic has no front ties, save for one at the collar). Now, I remember when I visited the Higgins Armory in Worcester MA, that knights and other armored men DID wear special padded undergarments beneath their armor. Does that tunic look like one specifically to be worn underneath armor, or is it just a funny way they sketched her normally unadorned tunic?

Maaaany many questions, as you can see. Help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope some SCA/ren faire experienced types can give me some good answers! For I have not enough manga pics of the lass, which is giving me too much trouble. :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caska4.jpg (46.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Caska5.jpg (39.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Caska6.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
number18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2004, 04:35 AM   #2
Grencia Mars
Broke College Student

Most fabric stores carry a fabric called moleskin or suedecloth. It's a good weight fabric for her tunic and pants. Every fall Joanns gets a color in moleskin that is the perfect dusty rose color for Caska's tunic. (I know because I wanted to cosplay her at one point) the problem with moleskin is you need to line it or wear something underneath it cause it really makes you sweat. That's all I got, good luck.
Grencia Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
number18
cyborg playgirl

Hmm...funny, I never considered the moleskin/suede for the tunic. It makes a lot of sense though. Next time I'm at the fabric store I'm definitely going to pic some up...at LEAST for her pants. o_o;

"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."
number18 is offline   Reply With Quote