This is for L to the Third (or anyone else who would like to know) how to play via the net with a friend.
Step Zero: DL zsnes off of www.zsnes.com
. I suggest version 1.377 since it's the best with net play.. and rumors are that newer versions have many glitches.
Step One: Start ZSNES
Step Two: Click on the "netplay" icon
Step Three: Click on the "internet" icon
Step Four: Enter nickname
Step Five (if hosting): Give your friend your IP number which is located under the "connect to server" icon
Step Six (if hosting): Click on the "Start as Server" button
Step Five (if connecting): Get your friends IP number and put it in the box which asks for IP (under client options)
Step Six (if connecting): Click connect to server
Step Seven: Click load icon (like when playing normally)
Step Eight: Pick rom (either player, ONLY one person do it :P)
Notes you need to know:
1. If you can't seem to connect to your friend, it must mean one of you have firewall. To connect when someone has FW, both of you must unclick the "allow UDP" icon found in the internet connection area under the IP.
2. You and your friend must have the SAME exact rom. By that, I mean literally the same one (name and type). To make sure they are, send the other person your version of the rom via AIM.
3. If you sent/recieved the selected rom, make sure you/they put the rom in the folder with the rest of their games (of if you don't have one, let them load the rom from wherever they decide to put it)
4. Most roms for SNES can be found on www.vimm.net
The dl speed is always slow though. :-/
5. Whoever hosts the game will contain the save file. That means if you host once in a RPG, you'll most likely have to host everytime if you wish to continue playing your file.
6. You must have the same version of ZSNES as your friend. I also heard that the newest version doesn't work well with net play. I suggest DLing version 1.337, it works the best for net play.
7. You can cheat via saving and loading state (F2 and F4), but if your connections are slow it CAN take a while to send the state.
8. If you have 56k, I seriously hope you don't have firewall. Because without UDP connection, it's really slow for 56k users... but you never know, try it both ways.
9. To type to your friend while playing, press T, then type what you have to say and press enter. It'll then appear at the bottom of the screen. It's really helpful in some games, and it's good for cracking some jokes during play.
I suggest you play Mario Kart, FF2, Secret of Mana, Kirby Super Star or any good two player side scroller. If you really have the time, play your friend Romance of the Three Kingdoms pt. 4.
If you need any help, feel free to IM me at TrunksSS61 via AIM. Oh, yes... a "thank you" would be appreciated.