Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
AmiJoyDonut

Turning dark hair to white. Baby powder?

Because that's what I was thinkin' .. but wouldn't it sort of get powder on my costume, make a big mess, SOMETHING? Or perhaps if there's an easier way.
AmiJoyDonut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
iodinered
Karmacide

Dark hair to white? I don't recommend that. I've used powder on my hair when it was bleached to get it a real white instead of orange-blond, but anything too dark will make you look like you're going grey. ...and it does get everywhere if you tend t shake your head. XD

Have you looked into hair color sprays? What about Ice (a styling product). I'm pretty sure that comes in white, but it wouldn't be good if you want your hair to be fluffy. I recommend going to a Sally's or some other hair supply place and asking the people there.
iodinered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #3
hoshikage
Zettai Cosplay Mokshiroku

Buy a wig. No, *really,* buy a wig. There is no other reliable way that I know of to get temporary white hair if your hair is naturally dark. Powder will not stick, so you'll have only partially-gray hair, and worse yet the powder will get everywhere. Even the sprays do not work well on dark hair; trust me on this. I tried it on a friend's hair, and not only did the spray get all over everything and smelled horrible, but it took three coats to get her hair white, and it turned her hair stiff and brittle-feeling, just like she had dry straw on her head instead of hair. A white wig would look *so* much better!
hoshikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
AmiJoyDonut

... I'm broke. I really have no other methods, but whatever. I guess I could look and pretend I could buy a good wig.

Either way, I'm not trying to make it fluffy. My hair fluffs on its own because it sucks and I have half-breed hair, being half-black and part of every country in Europe. I just want it white, or as close to it as possible. I'm cosplaying a Viera from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance ...

Last edited by AmiJoyDonut : 08-31-2004 at 12:35 AM. Reason: I'm stupid.
AmiJoyDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 02:01 AM   #5
Solaria
Ninja Pirate

Yeah, but that much spray will just make it look sticky, and probably not very white either. You could try looking on ebay or a wig site for a white or at least very blond wig. Maybe you'll get lucky and find something affordable.
Solaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
onion knight
Blue mage

Try bleaching your hair first.Then apply a silver rinse.Silver rinse is a product mostly used by elderly people with grey hair to give their hair a light silvery sheen.You can probably order it at a hairdresser's or a hair product shop may have it in stock.
onion knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

errr... with your hair DO NOT bleach it- ethnic hair if it's really (or even partially) textured does not take well to bleach and looks TERRIBLE. I knew a guy who tried it, and it just looked bad and he had really short hair. Go with a wig- you can actually get descent wigs for not that much- you'll probably spend less money then if you were to experiment with various hair products and not ruin your hair.
Kokuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #8
Ochika
Dynasty Laywers

well if your able to get someone to use ebay for you. heres a pretty light blong wig for 10 bucks, its not quite white but its still light

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... 314&tc=photo
Ochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 11:54 PM   #9
Faroresama

I had sort of the same question, but since it's similar I didn't want to make a whole new thread. I hope you don't mind my question.

I have rather dark hair, but it's dark brown, and straight. HOWEVER! I need it UP in a bun, and white. Would the spray stuff be good for that? Like, I could put it up and then just spray over my whole head (just the hair part, at least)? Or would a wig be better? The thing is, I don't think there would be a wig with a tight enough bun to look good. Or stay on my head, for that matter. I'm thinking the spray would be good. Any discrepancies?

Dream Xenosaga cosplays:
* Mintia--Epi. I
* Febronia--Epi I+II
* Orgulla--Epi II
Oh, I can't wait til I'm skilled enough to make them
Faroresama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2004, 12:50 AM   #10
Ai Ichigo
I suck at smiling-

Baby powder...? Trust me, all you'll get is a dusty, dirty-looking head.

Have a professional part your hair, and spay an even coat of hair color paint per a layer, and brush it out so it won't stick together. My aunt does hair and mine turned out great.

Finished: Rinoa Heartilly / Gothic Lolita
Working on: Soi Fong ( BLEACH ) 95%% done.
Ai Ichigo is offline   Reply With Quote