Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 08-31-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

Sailor Cosmos wig

For Anime Boston, I'll be making a Sailor Cosmos wig, and I want to attempt to make the heat-shaped buns (most cosplayers just make regular circular buns. There are several opinions on how to make this kind of wig, but can anyone say what they have found the best way to be? I can't imagine that making this wig would be much different than any other Sailormoon wig, except for the bun shapes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosmoscm7.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)

This is the year of very little cosplay. How sad.

My Livejournal: It's not angsty. I promise.
Mystic Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

well I'd say for the odango's, use heart shaped foam, and read the thread on sailor moon wigs if you haven't already. There are 16 pages, so there is bound to be something that wll help you ^_^

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=14850

Last edited by Biscuit : 08-31-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:07 AM   #3
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

Thanks. It says to take a short wig and add extensions. i went to the Dr Locks site, and while it'll probably be easy to choose which extensions to use for the buns (since they'll be wrapped around foam anyway), which extensions do you suggest for the ponytails? Also, which wig should I use to start? (I'm looking at Amphigory)

Last edited by Mystic Blossom : 08-31-2004 at 11:11 AM.
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

well lets seeeee I have never actually bought stuff from there, I have yet to venture into making my own SM wig >_< but to me the stuff on the page
http://www.drlocks.net/straight_braiding_hair.htm lokks good, and I think the first one, called Silky Straight Braid is the best from what I have heard. becuase it is Kanekalon fiber and that is the best. and for the short part of the wig go to amphigory.com, and get the wig called Femme Fatale and your going to have to 1. cut bangs into it (which they have a tutoral on their site here:http://www.amphigory.com/wig_how_to_cut_bangs.html)
and 2. you will also have to part the wig, using katie bairs method found here http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html
No one said it was going to be easy >_< you can also get extentions at http://www.black-and-blue.net/ they have very nice extentions also they come very long and in tons of colors ^_^ hope alll of this helped ^_____^

oh yes something else I remembered what you do for the ogandos although yours are goung to be a different shape so I don't know if this will help, but here is what someone reported that Katie bair does :

THe way to tackle odangos are actually a medium length wig like femme fatale from amphigory. Katie bair did a quick odango tutorial at AX,First cut the bangs in.THen, you want to seperate the into two pigtails so you can get the part. NOw hack those
pigtails off, leaving a lovely stump ( make shur you get a good stump of hair,but still close enough to the head s our buns wont liik like they're floatin). take a styrofoam ball and wrap extensions around them. These are your odangos. Using caulk , glue the
odangos to the stump. using a bit of extensions wrap it around the base to hide the connecting point and tie the ribons on. Hard part is over. the loops on the bottom are well twisted extenstions loop under the buns, which you should put in first before the
buns.

Last edited by Maryssa : 08-31-2004 at 12:03 PM. Reason: *please* dont double post.
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

Meh...I didn't expect it to be easy, but I want to make it with the least difficulty as is humanly possible XD. So...I'll need extensions for the ponytails, but I'll part it for the buns, right? Or am I mixed up?

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

you part the femme fatale wig first and then pull it up into little stumpy ponytails and then add bunns/extentions etc. ^______^ I should be takimg notes myself b/c I eventually need to make a sailor moon wig ^_^
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:33 AM   #7
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

Lol thanks, but bangs come first I'm assuming. Gah, details, details. Now I have to find a heat sealer that won't blow the cash right out of my wallet. Maybe I can get one for Hanukkah.

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

yeah, the heat sealer is what set me back, I didn't have time to buy one. I was supoosed to be Neo Queen Serenity (manga) at Acen this past year, but the person who was making my wig ended up not finishing it and then I never got my money back and I didn't have time to buy a heat sealer and make a wig...........*sigh* so yeah.... and I didn't even know where to get a heat sealer >_<
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

Well, the whole point of parting a wig is to part it so that you can't see the mesh. I've heard of people who take a whin layer of hair from the inside and sew it to the mesh so that it covers it. I think I might try that before I go all willy-nilly heat sealer buying. If it doesn't work, I can always take the stiches out.

Unread 08-31-2004, 11:46 AM   #10
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

that's a good idea! Good luck and post pictures when you are done ^_^
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:55 AM   #11
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

I surely shall! Thank you! And if anyone has any other tips that they think might help in any way, please tell me. I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

Unread 08-31-2004, 02:03 PM   #12
Biscuit
You Know I'm Cute

cool ^_^ if I think of anything I'll send you a PM ^______^
Unread 08-31-2004, 06:03 PM   #13
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

I've used the sewing on-methode on my wig, it works very well.
Unread 08-31-2004, 06:06 PM   #14
Mystic Blossom
Herd u leik pokeymans

You mean the easy way of parting we talked about? That's awesome. ^_^

Unread 08-31-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
Fénicia
Professional Seamstress

Yes, as I don't have a heatsealer and I wasn't on this forum yet. I used the part that I've cut off from the bangs and a braided extension, cut them up to length, place them in the wig after parting the hair and sew them on. After that I put on some transparant glue for extra support. I used a very long wig and 4 opened-up extentions (2 each side). The extrensions are the tails and the hair of the wig itself are the buns (just like you would do with your own hair).