Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-31-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
Gale
All the world's a stage

InuYasha costume discussion

Edit as of 1/16/09:

So, disregard the post that used to be here. I have NO IDEA what I was planning, and whatever it was obviously fell through. I am finally planning a Kagome costume though, and posted more recently in the thread with some specific questions about that.

Otherwise, really just use this as a discussion for making costumes from Inu Yasha. And before you ask a question, if you can think of a good keyword to what you need help with, try the search function, because maybe someone else has asked about it before and you'll get your answer much faster if it's already been posted!

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con

Last edited by Gale : 01-16-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
Coatri
that kid

well I'm no great seamstress, but I don't think Kagome's costume is too hard to make. You just need a pleated skirt pattern and just a basic shirt pattern and I know of a site that gives tutorials on how to make that collar thing on her uniform, I forget what it is but if I find it again I'll be sure to post it here. Inuyasha's costume may be more difficult though cuz it's like a one-piece bodysuit thingy, and I have no idea about Kaede's costume.

Since my friends are having an Inuyasha group, I might be Yura cuz she's my fave Inuyasha character (although I'd make the skirt a bit longer and the neckline a bit higher ^_^; but I'm still not sure
Coatri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

To win with something more "simple" (looking) like that, I'd try to think of extras (props, etc) . Also, focus on making as accurate and as well sewn as possible. And document it! Make a binder for all three costumes (if you're making all three), and keep progress pics, reference images, and costume information in there (such as information about historical clothing, school uniforms, etc in Japan). Then you can prove that your work has gone above and beyond 'how simple it looks' (This is all assuming you go for workmanship). If you're entering a contest that requires a presentation, I'd work on that ahead of time as well. Prerecord if possible, and practice practice practice. And try to make it original (there's always people yelling "osuwari", so unless you can think of something *really* different with that, I'd say don't use it).

There's a great thread about Inuyasha in this forum; here it is. Lots of great advice and research went into that thread. There's a thread for Kikyou here, which could help for Kaede (since the outfits are very similar). You could always start one for Kagome, if you wanted to.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
abellabella
Softy 4 grn eye anime men

I also have some problems with wanting to cosplay a character, but their outfits are just simple and not so 'wow' (I'm not one to talk). I've cosplayed a few simple looking characters (like Kikyou), but it really takes a chunk of time to make. I'm no professional, so I can only do so much. The Kagome character looks simple, but I'm sure the people who cosplayed her had fun being in something simple. I'm sure it's nice to do a character that doesn't wear heavy armor or weird devices, it's all in the cosplayers opinion. In whichever costumes you make, good luck and of course try your best!
Unread 09-01-2004, 02:10 AM   #5
_Mandy_
Adventure Capitalist

I made my sister a Kagome costume back in June. For the skirt we used a cheerleader pattern. Kagome's skirt is a knife pleat so it's fairly simple. Her skirt is at her waist (not hips) and is pretty short. Please, make it the right length...at the con we went to there were Kagome's with knee-length skirts and one girl who's butt was hanging out. Not pretty. My sister's covered everything up but she still wore shorts under it, which is always a good idea.

For the shirt, we bought a dress shirt pattern and just added the collar by tracing the neckline. For the stripe on it we used white trim that we just bought. It looks kinda messy though so I think we're going to redo it with fabric paint someday. Kagome's shirt has no buttons and the sleeves poof slightly. it only comes down to her waist as well, and barely covers the waist band on the skirt. Don't use a thick material for the scarf (which loops underneathe the collar and through the small green loop below it). We used thick fabric for my sister's and it made the collar go all weird.

You can buy loose Japanese socks on ebay. I bought some for my Aya costume and I wear them a lot, so it's not like it's a waste of money. cartoonpassion.com used to sell official InuYasha arrows, I'm not sure if they still do. There's plenty of sites that sell Shikon no Tama shards and necklaces as well. Kagome just wears brown, flat heeled loafers...and those are really easy to find at any store. Especially now, since it's back-to-school time.
_Mandy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 03:37 AM   #6
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Oh. that reminds me. If you want to get really picky about the shirt details, here's what I know:
- most shirts like that zip up the left hand side
- there are hooks and eyes in the cuffs, because they are too tight to put on otherwise. This is also how they can roll up the shirtsleeves.
- fabric is usually a wool-polyester blend
- the little loop in the middle to hold the tie usually snaps on, if I remember correctly.
- stripe is sewn on by machine on each side of the stripe
-collar has two layers (its not just one piece)
- I think the scarves are polyester, but I can't be sure.
- Mandychan is right, uniform skirts sit at the waist. most girls roll them up. however, just hem yours shorter, to a length you are comfortable with. and wearing shorts is a great idea - even with long skirts, most girls wear shorts.

- though not official, bias tape can make good stripes. There's something else someone else used... called something like "sailors trim" or something.

Unread 09-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
InuPhoenix

hee well im going to be kikyo for my next convention (has only shinidama chuu done) but ive already done inuyasha ((see cosplay site for details)) i also did sango lol and won thrid place in the contest, inuyasha is actually easier then alot of ppl say it is but pease dont make this one mistake for his costume, make your own bell sleeves, i kno that they might not be traditional but they do have the slits on top also , thats what we did and its looked great!
Izayoi

In Process:
Sailor Pluto
InuPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
Gale
All the world's a stage

thanks everyone! I'll check the other topic too. I should have probably checked farther than one page back for it ^^; oops...

anyway, I have a cheerleader skirt pattern from my Miaka Yuuki costume, and I did just recently make the observation that the skirt sits at the waist.

as far as props go, I plan to make a yellow backpack (both as a prop and an easy way to carry stuff at the con!) and I would like to have a bow&arrow to use (I miss my silly, suction-cup toy one from my school's production of robin hood...v_v lol) and actually I was hoping to be able to have a combination of realistic and suction-cup arrows (realistic for pictures and such, and suction cup to shoot _safly_ and tease my friends with). I was going to make a shikon no tama necklace by cutting off part of a pink bouncy ball, but 1) I can't find a good method of attaching it to a necklace and 2) when I finally was gunna do it, I couldn't bring myself to cut it up ^^; lol (I have a strangly strong afinity for bouncy balls...) I may just have to buy one online though...just not 2 weeks before the con like I did with my Yuna necklace >.< doesn't help much if your prop is a week late....

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
HisuiKirei
fufufufufu~

Quote:
I may just have to buy one online though...just not 2 weeks before the con like I did with my Yuna necklace >.<
now i see u want to be in a contest, doesnt "bought" props/items exclude u from participating?(this was in the rules for the AX masquerade, i figure it's similar in other contests)
Valerie, Ace of Pilot Fish (Pandect) 40%
HisuiKirei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
kiwi
DATURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisuiKirei
now i see u want to be in a contest, doesnt "bought" props/items exclude u from participating?(this was in the rules for the AX masquerade, i figure it's similar in other contests)
All masquerades that I've heard of will allow bought props that are either not makable or constitute a smallish part of the overall costume. Therefore, you can be Kagome with a purchased bow in any masquerade, and you could even be an Inuyasha with a commissioned tetsusaiga in a lot of cosplays. (some would proably not allow this, though, best to check the rules). Masquerades don't require to make your own shoes, plushies, wigs, etc. The general rule is that you must have made all of your costume (the clothing part, sometimes excluding dress pants or shirts) and most of the side bits can be culled from other places.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
HisuiKirei
fufufufufu~

Quote:
All masquerades that I've heard of will allow bought props that are either not makable or constitute a smallish part of the overall costume. Therefore, you can be Kagome with a purchased bow in any masquerade, and you could even be an Inuyasha with a commissioned tetsusaiga in a lot of cosplays. (some would proably not allow this, though, best to check the rules). Masquerades don't require to make your own shoes, plushies, wigs, etc. The general rule is that you must have made all of your costume (the clothing part, sometimes excluding dress pants or shirts) and most of the side bits can be culled from other places.
ok that makes sense. Thanx for clearing that with me ^^
Valerie, Ace of Pilot Fish (Pandect) 40%
HisuiKirei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

This thread has info about rose quartz, what some people used for their shikon no tama necklaces. http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread...ht=rose+quartz If you're using a bouncy ball, you can probably use one of those small screws with the loop at the top. Just screw it in. If you're worried about it coming out, add a little super glue and screw it in.

Other than that her bow is for Kyuudo (Japanese archery), I don't remember that much else about Kagome, other than she rides a bicycle a lot. >.<

OT: Can't wait. IIRC, the last ep of IY airs Sept 6.

Unread 09-02-2004, 09:15 PM   #13
InuPhoenix

hmmm bouncy ball? like a rubber one? well why dont you jsut find and awl (or a REALLY thick needle) and poke a hole through the topp of the ball, insert the chain or what ever your using and use a hot glue gun to keep in necklace part in?
Izayoi

In Process:
Sailor Pluto
InuPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 10:35 PM   #14
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

as far as props go, I plan to make a yellow backpack (both as a prop and an easy way to carry stuff at the con!) and I would like to have a bow&arrow to use (I miss my silly, suction-cup toy one from my school's production of robin hood...v_v lol) and actually I was hoping to be able to have a combination of realistic and suction-cup arrows (realistic for pictures and such, and suction cup to shoot _safly_ and tease my friends with).

Most cons won't allow you to shoot anything, regardless of whether it's a suction cup arrow or not. Some cons will not even allow you to have the string present on the bow or carry the arrows, either or to ensure nothing is fired. Even masquerades are going to be wary of anyone firing anything on the off chance it gets fired into the audience. Just be sure to read the weapons policy for whatever con you're going to, I've seen people get kicked out for firing suction cup darts. Some cons are more forgiving, but since they post the rules in the con packet, they don't usually take ignorance as an excuse. ^_^
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #15
aonceu

I just wanted to add that it helps to use an actual pattern for Inuyashas sleeves. Just dont sew it together at the shoulders. Some people just cut the top of the sleeve pattern flat and the slit hangs down way too low. With the curve you can hem it at the right place and adjust how low the slit falls. Hope that helps a little.