Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #1396
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
Hi guys, sorry for not being active here in the InuYasha topic for a while.
So err, today recently I finally took a few pics of my Amari Nobunaga cosplay. I'm home alone all weekend and next week so I figured I could take some pics of the cosplays that didn't have any. (maybe I'll take a few photos of my Byakuya cosplay too another day.. although I need to repair it)
Here's the first uploaded photo click and the others can be seen here.

Oh, and that cosplay is soooo warm to wear. Damn you 3 layers of kimonos close to the body... XD I remember why I couldn't wear it more than a few hours at the debut con last year, it will have to be a winter con cosplay...
I love it!

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #1397
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
I love it!
Thank you!

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #1398
BetwixtReality

Hi there, I just wondered if it would be alright to ask some other Inuyasha fans their opinions on something. I'm starting to plan out working on a Sesshomaru costume and as Inuyasha was what got me into everything anime I want to do the absolute best job ever. ... Most likely will fail miserably but I'm only in the planning stages so hope abounds! Or denial! Hard to tell the difference sometimes. Mostly I'm sure what I'll be doing, and for some parts I plan on asking experienced friends. (Like how to make the sheath and hilt of Bakusaiga. The blade I'll paint the runes on but the other parts... well I'm glad I have very experienced friends. >_>; ) One thing though keeps bothering me.

Fluffy's fluffy. In my head it has always been the ridiculously huge, ridiculously long, ridiculously comfortable looking stretch of soft fur which is probably a large part of why I decided to cosplay him rather than anyone else. But I go and see how other cosplayers do it and find myself thinking they are all too small. I look at anime screenshots and feel the same. I went back and re-read the manga... Well the parts he appears because otherwise I wouldn't be posting here, I'd still be reading it. And finally I find some solace for my heart. But still I notice that from scene to scene the width and length of the mokomoko/fluffy things changes sometimes subtly, sometimes dramatically.

If it was left to me I'd make it the way I remember it in my heart, twice as long as I am tall at least and so thick that I can just get my arms around it barely. I am aware though of the difficulties of this (price, weight, keeping it clean) but want to do it anyway, I've already decided if I'm doing this I'm not going to shirk on costs. ... Just work on it really slowly while I earn the money to pay for those costs. ^^; But still I felt I should ask fans, do you think by doing this I would be betraying the actual character design and would be critiqued for inaccuracy? Would you prefer to see what I am intending or a Sesshomaru with an appropriately proportioned mokomoko that doesn't trail behind him? I guess I'm just asking what you like more. Cause while this is partly to appease my obsession with soft and fluffy things, it is also because I've heard a lot of people mention there not being enough Sesshomarus so if I do this I want to do it so people will be happy to see me, not thinking 'wtf is that thing on her shoulder supposed to be?!'
BetwixtReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #1399
BetwixtReality

What I had in mind I guess being something like these versions:
http://i40.tinypic.com/731028.jpg
http://ear-tweak.com/iy_manga/v47/467/13.jpg
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #1400
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

I've always seen Sesshomaru's fluff as a huge long pile of... well, fluff. But maybe that's because I've only read the manga, not watched the anime, and I believe his mokomoko is drawn bigger in the manga. (and is it just me or does it grow later in the series? Well, the drawing style in InuYasha from beginning to end do change but I have a memory of Sesshomaru's fluff getting bigger/poofier too...)
I will cosplay him someday too and I intend to do a big fluff too because I think it gives him that little extra 'oomph', but I will not make it so huge so that it'll be a burden and trail several meters in the ground after me... but in the end I guess it's just a personal preference and some kind of accuracy VS practicality thing so do whatever you like. Can't wait to see it!

*~In progress~*

Last edited by Blood_Sword : 03-07-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #1401
BetwixtReality

Thank you! And don't hold you breath, heeeh. >_>; My demand of myself for perfection and demand of the rest of the world for this thing called money means this is a long term project though I hope maybe in a year to have it done if things go well. ... 'If' being a major factor.

Yeah the fluff definitely gets bigger, when he first appears it is about the size it is in the manga and then starts shifting wildly between getting longer and shorter, getting thicker and thinner. Magically extending and being used to grab people. Of course he changes a lot from his first appearance as well. Originially he was soooo feminine and pretty. He's still pretty at the end, but in a manly way not a womanly/teenage girl way. It means there is some leeway for cosplayers with manly and womanly faces though so I don't really mind the change. XD

Yeah, if I make it as big as I want to it will be tough on many different levels. Already my friends have all been shooting me down with the problems that are going to crop up telling me to aim smaller. I appreciate the concern, for wallet and difficulties, but I'm pretty set in my heart to do this now. The vision of my head of huge long mokomoko calls to me. XD Though I won't be dumb about it. Currently considering doing the insides not with stuffing but maybe a frame that would mean it better hold the thick shape and be lighter since it is mostly hollow. This means I can't use it for an impromptu bed anymore but instead should be able to save strength and money. Though another strategy was filling it not with stuffing but pieces of foam, like packing peanuts or the like which are very light. Again, not as comfy but would give it more give than a hard frame might and be easier than trying to construct something like that which would have to be sturdy and yet flexible so the mokomoko can be gathered up into cars and so on. Don't know which would be cheaper in the end. At this point I hardly care cause adding up costs makes me realize this is going to be the most expensive part of the whole costume, even the Do which used I've only been able to find as low as $150. Course I could try making one with sintra or wonderflex but... I am a perfectionist to the end. And rambling. Sorry. By the way I thought it was amazing and adorable you cosplayed Nobunaga. XD
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #1402
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Yeah, that's true, his appearance changed too and as you say.. it's good for cosplayers. xD

Seems you have your heart set and decided on it already, so I'll just wish you good luck with it and be sure to upload progress photos here so others can see how it's turning out! I'd love to see how you tackle the construction.
Oh, so you will buy a kendo and modify it? Well, that would make a pretty accurate look (at least for the front) if you can do it well. What I've been thinking about doing Sesshomaru I wouldn't modify a personally but that's maybe because I already train kendo and get to wear one and, err, I just wouldn't feel comfortable making major changes on such a thing... and those are pretty expensive so I would hesitate and worry about screwing it up...

Aww thanks! It's awesome to see people actually remember/recognize him. I still need to wear that cosplay to a con properly but it's so friggin' hot it has to be a winter con, ahah, I'm not up to boiling in it again. XD

*~In progress~*

Unread 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #1403
BetwixtReality

It helps that while looking for references I ended up re-reading the series and just got to him. XD You did a fantastic job! And I love the monkey!

Yeah, I've worn things which are very much 'winter costumes' to summer cons before, ugh. Are there winter cons where you live or in your area? I always feel a mix of respect and envy when I see pictures from some winter cons where cosplayers are back dropped by beautiful snowy back drops, but you know even with a warm costume they are freezing out there. Course I know just because there is winter doesn't mean there is snow and cold. Locally winters are pretty tame where I am.

Yeah, I'm pretty set, but if I hear people saying that its just wrong I'd probably halt on my plans. So far people who said I shouldn't said so because of me, not because of the concept. (It would be too expensive for you, it would be too heavy for you, it would be to unwieldly for you.) If the problem is me than I can overcome that, if the problem is with the concept though that's a different story. Progress shots I will try to do, though till I get back home for the summer they would only consist of me looking up tutorials and prices. XD And yeah I like how I've seen others who use the Do looks, its much better than the cloth armor I see. The back I'm not worried so much about because we hardly see it but I figure when the time comes I can probably rig up something to it to help that looks good but not s good as the front which is why I want to use the do rather than make something completely from scratch using plastic. Probably this will be a lot more comfortable too since it is designed to actually be worn. How heavy is your do? They look pretty weighty from the pictures I've seen.
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #1404
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Thank you! I need to get better pictures of it though.

Yes there are, this year we had the first Desucon FrostBite (it's a new sister con to the summer Desucon) which, as name implies, was held during the winter, more specific 14-15 January this year. Well, the con is far away from me (think: travel from north to south) but there's also Kitacon (kita = north) in Kemi, Finland, that's.. err, much closer to me. It's a small one-day con and also seemingly the world's most northern con... and I live like 25 km away from the town, ahaha. But yeah, it was held in February this year. So yeah, we have winter cons. But most cons are held between spring and early autumn. There's also another Kitacon, but in northern Sweden, that was held in December 2010 for the first time.

Yeah, cloth armor doesn't often look all that good. A would give it that authentic armor look.. but I just can't help but wonder how will you get the back to look the same as the front? You know a doesn't cover your back, you just tie it with these two strings crossing your back and over your shoulders holding it in place. So that's part reason why I wouldn't modify one myself because I have no clue how you could get the front and back to look like it's made of the same material and looking like a whole full armor piece instead of two obviously put-together-pieces. Oh well.
Oh, and about the weight... it's not heavy. In kendo you do rigorous training with armor on and it doesn't really hinder your movements or anything (although the first time you get to wear armor it feels like you have to learn everything all over again. lol) and it isn't really that heavy, personally I wouldn't mind wearing a all day.

*~In progress~*

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #1405
BetwixtReality

That's good to hear, and yeah I've seen do so I know there is no back. Most likely I'll get shape-able plastic like sintra and heat it and mold it into the best shape I can using the front as a guide. Then sand away any blemished and paint black and add a layer of lacquer for that beautiful shine the do I've seen have. If I have the actual do in front of me I can probably have a decent looking copy of that in the back, only the do though not the mune. The mune would be cut shorter and what left covered up by the bone looking part anyway on the front so probably I'll make the sintra two layers thick and before sealing them together place something thin and sturdy in between them at the top where the mune would be to hook the back of the bone frame to. As to making it one piece, that probably could be done to an extent. If make sure the sintra back and the do overlap at the sides I can then attach something to hold them together, or try to mold the sintra so it looks like it is a part of the do and rely on the magic of sanding and paint to make the illusion really good. I don't want to permanently join them though cause then I'm not sure how I'd ever get out of the armor... If I have it with the back piece on top of the do sides then it will be easier to pull that off and hide the ends of the ties of the do which would be holding the armor to me. Chances are though that won't be enough considering I can't use the ties over the shoulders. I may have to add something of an under harness that I would attach the do and back piece to that would be tight and hidden underneath them. And the top bone frame plus the shoulder guard would have to be able to be added on after so I can get it on and off without those forcing them to remain in one shape. Velcro would only work if it was very light and flexible so probably instead maybe installing small hooks onto the back of the bone parts which there are corresponding holes to in the mune and whatever makes the top/mune bit of the back. Or maybe make the frame in 2 or 3 parts and leave the parts on the armor attached to the do and back piece and have the shoulder guard able to be attached to them and unattached. The back probably won't look as good like the do no matter how hard I try in shaping it but with the hair and mokomoko no one would probably notice. ... Cept me. Hm, maybe it would be possible to use the do to create a mold and use resin to create a back as identical to the do as possible but able to be shaped for my back. But that would probably be very uncomfortable and potentially limit movement... When I get a do I'll have to wear it around to see how it feels and how it fits on my body then decided what to do with the back.

I didn't realize you were in Europe, how are cons there? I've been to some in Asia and of course the US where I live but none of the European conventions. And terribly judgmental as I know this sounds, when I realized it I couldn't help but think 'No wonder he's such an amazing cosplayer!' >_>; Cause all the European cosplayers I've ever seen make me drool in envy. ... And want to kill them in jealous fury just a tiny bit. ... Itty bitty tiny bit. ... ^^; But yeah I know I probably just don't see the not stunningly amazing cosplayers' pictures and try not to stereotype.

That's really cool that convention did a summer and winter session! And yeah travelling for cons is annoying. Think year though I found a con which has apparently been going on for 12 years 18 minutes drive away from the home my family moved into 7 years ago. ... I know, fail. In my defense I wasn't into cons and cosplay till 4 years ago and that was when I headed to college so wasn't in the area much anymore. Still, fail. And wow, northernmost con in the world, and happening in winter? That must have been utterly freezing, ugh. Do you take that into account when you make costumes? Maybe using warmer material, or do you just stay inside for the most part to avoid freezing?
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #1406
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Woah... you sure have lots of plans and ideas how to make Sesshomaru's armor! I bet it will turn out awesome because it really seems you have done your research and thought out several options how to go about making it. Making the pieces detachable sounds like a great idea, actually I had not even thought about that myself!

Well, it's hard for me to say actually because I've only been to European cons so I can't really compare, I'd love to visit an US con sometime though, they seem so big and awesome. However, the con and cosplay scene isn't that big here in Sweden/Finland and the biggest cons have around 2500-3500 (if they have an entrance fee/tickets) visitors or something like that. Animecon in Finland is an exception though, it had free entrance last year (and years before as far as I know, dunno about this year though) and around 6000-10 000 visitors...
Oh, why thank you! Well, I think every country has cosplayers of different levels but I guess maybe you've just noticed the more experienced ones more often or something, who knows. (not that I'm one of them; I don't consider myself amazing or anything XD)

Woah.. that's a bit fail indeed.
Well, actually it was not that bad... and I'm kinda used to cold anyway (I don't live so far away from the Arctic circle lol), we had -30 C a whole week at the beginning of this year, now that I call cold. But yeah, when I go to winter cons I do try to pick a cosplay that's consisting of warmer clothes, more layers etc and obviously trying to avoid being outside too long.

*~In progress~*

Unread 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #1407
BetwixtReality

My typos are also fail, ugh. (Just re-read her last post) Sorry about that, as I ramble I get sloppy. And yeah some of the Amercian ones are just huge. This year I'm going to Otakon and it is usually around ... 35,000 a year? Course price rise this year may drop that number a little. $70 for pre-reg, $80 at the door. It is the second biggest anime convention in the US so they are not all like that. The one near my place is around 2,000-3,000. And of course very often you'll see 'mini cons' spring up as libraries or just people with the money for such a thing setting up a brand new con in the area. They aren't that great and usually more just for promotion of whoever sponsored it. (Malls sometimes do it as well, near my university a mall hosted a cosplay fashion show which some friends of mine participated in.) I have to admit though I love both the small events which have a personal feel and are a little less intimidating and the big ones which are great for meeting people and being blown away with what people show up in.

I wouldn't sell yourself too short, your costumes are great from what I've seen and show excellent craftsmanship. And your face, to be perfectly blunt you have beautiful skin and eyes. I don't know how much you may dabble with make up but if you do it is very natural looking and really makes you look great. Not to mention your swords, did you make those yourself cause they're stunning?

Ugh, I could not last living where you are. After living in the Middle East for two years I was never able to deal with cold again. Probably doesn't help that when I may have adjusted back into things I decide to go to college at a place where the record low is I believe 56 F. ... Yeeeah. So I'm no good with any cold. You have my respect for bearing with it as you do.

Well until I get back home where things are cheaper and I wouldn't need to carry the costume onto a plane (school in Hawaii is the most frustrating thing to my wallet and my cosplaying) I can't do anything but plan so might as well consider every possibility.
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #1408
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

35 000? Oh my god... But it sure sounds awesome and I can imagine a lot of cosplayers walking around!
But yeah, some cons here have that "personal feeling" to them and are very comfy and such, even though they might not be that big.

Whoa, thanks again! Well, I suck with make-up big time so the only thing I put on (except any character eye make-up if applicable) is powder foundation.
Oh, the swords.. well it depends on what sword. Ichigo's huge butcher knife, Byakuya's (InuYasha) sword and Ukitake's twin swords are made by me from scratch with some help from my stepdad. Gin's sword and Ukitake's "normal katana" is a modified bokken/bokuto.

Oww that's too bad. *checks 56 F* That seems to be... 13 C? Heck, that's warm, it's our early-ish spring weather. XD -30 C seems to be -22 F according to this one online converter I use. Thanks and err, you get used to it. Anything under -15 C (5 F) isn't really cold for me, haha.

Yeah, you might want to think about how to transport a Sesshomaru costume too, I bet it would be bulky and if you're going to have a super long and poofy fluff then that thing will take some place too, depending on how much you can cram it together for travels. Have you thought about how to attach the fluff to your arm/shoulder when wearing it? I just wondered if it's very long it might be heavy and if it's going to trail it could be strenuous (is that the right word) for you and the costume depending on how you choose to secure it in place.

*~In progress~*

Unread 05-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #1409
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Currently working on my boyfriend's Miroku cosplay. So hard to do this when he's not here so I can constantly check if it fits. I'm always trying on my cosplays after sewing every little piece to make sure. XD We have a huge group for animeNEXT, I cannot wait.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #1410
tr1nk3ts_g3m
Certified Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyValentine View Post
Currently working on my boyfriend's Miroku cosplay. So hard to do this when he's not here so I can constantly check if it fits. I'm always trying on my cosplays after sewing every little piece to make sure. XD We have a huge group for animeNEXT, I cannot wait.
On the bright side of that at least Miroku's costume doesn't really need to be too tightly fitted since it's fairly loose. Personally I hate doing anything remotely fitted on guys. I had to do a Hawkeye (Avengers version) vest recently for my boyfriend because he "just had to have it for the premier" Long story short it was not worn (too cold) and I found out he's a sassy picky model

I sketched up a really cool InuYasha cosplay for a close friend of mine, who wanted one of my "fun, sexy, feminine" designs, but wouldn't give me a single female character to do. After telling me to go ahead and start actually making it, she bailed out and decided she doesn't want to pay. So now I have the red fabric and eventually I'm going to make it and find something to wear it to. Since in all honesty probably one of my best actual designs that didn't directly match the costume the character wore. On one hand...not exactly cosplay...on the other it will make an awesome costume!!! Who knows maybe I'll just wear it around the beach during the summer...after all rompers and jump suits are still totally in, lol

Like my Facebook cosplay page!
tr1nk3ts_g3m is offline   Reply With Quote