Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-05-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
ArsenalFierce13
Resident Goddess

Dyeing wool/acrylic blends- does it work?

Ok, I know that you can't use dye on synthetics, but what about natural/synthetic blends? I want to knit a thief Rikku scarf, not because I plan on cosplaying her but because I think the gradient effect looks great and winter is cold, so yay scarves. Ok, that was superfluous. The point is, the yarn I'd like to use is 80% acrylic / 20% wool. Will this hold dye, or do I need to find 100% natural yarn (which would make me cranky, cuz it costs a lot more)?

Costumes, costumes, la la la! http://www.chicagocostume.com

Cosplay wish list: Faye Valentine masquerade gown (Cowboy Bebop), Lehas (Magna Carta), Gaara (Naruto), Yohko Mano (Devil Hunter Yohko),Setsuka (Soul Calibur III), Zhen Ji (Dynasty Warriors 5)
ArsenalFierce13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Rydain

Since there's not much wool in the blend, I doubt you'd wind up with a nice deep color, even with acid dyes, which are designed to work well with wool. Because it's basically plastic, acrylic won't take any sort of non-industrial dye, and even then, you'd probably only get a light to medium color (link). It can be tinted with products like Syn Tint. Still, I think your best bet would be to acid-dye 100% wool yarn, which will give you bold, permanent color. Try looking on Google to see if you can find it cheaper online than you can locally, which might make you less cranky.
Rydain is offline   Reply With Quote