Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Unread 09-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
ShineJob

Talking Uke Or Seme ? ^o^

Warning to peeps who don't like Yaoi, that's what this topic is about ^_~

What do you fans like? Ukes or Semes? Do you like the tough, protective characters or the soothing, sweet ones? There's different types and personalities for both, of course *takes quizzes, whee*. I personally like Semes. ^^ Ahh, Yuki <333
ShineJob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
agent47
SUPA NEKO-DOM DOM!

Uke fan for life baby! I loves Uke! So kawaii!

<----guy who loves yaoi and his Uke
Unread 09-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
ShineJob

Ukes ARE cute ^_^ Are you a yaoi fanboy?! Wootness, that's rare ^_^
Unread 09-06-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

I actually really dislike the whole "seme uke" framework. A loving relationship is about compromise and sharing, which means, both should get their turn on top and on the bottom. Too often I see strong characters mutilated into weepy ghosts of themselves in fanfiction just so that they can serve as the "uke."

For example, I'm a big Get Backers fangirl, and though it's not my personal favorite I see a lot of Ban x Akabane. Both are strong fighters with stubborn, unbending personalities. When you have two characters who are so strongly "seme" in their interactions and behavior, you're really going to have to mutilate one of the two characters personalities in order to fit them into the seme-uke world. However, as equal partners, they work.
DeadLegato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 01:32 AM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLegato
I actually really dislike the whole "seme uke" framework. A loving relationship is about compromise and sharing, which means, both should get their turn on top and on the bottom. Too often I see strong characters mutilated into weepy ghosts of themselves in fanfiction just so that they can serve as the "uke."
That's because the original concept of seme and uke roles came from a very non-loving relationship setting. Haha. ^^

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
ShineJob

You brought up a very good point, Legato. I haven't really seen too many yaoi couples that are both seme, trusting yet strong. Fake kinda comes to mind...What's Get Backers? *searches*
Unread 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

Myer? Not really sure what you mean by "ha ha". I know where the framework came from, I am just saying that I personally don't like it.

If I wanted to see one person on the top all the time, I'd read traditional het fic.

---
For reference, Get Backers is a very "subtexty" anime about two guys who... get stolen things back. It's not canon yaoi, but there's enough fanfic out there for you to drown in the boy love. The manga is relatively different from the anime, same plot lines but... the manga contains more panty shots than you can shake a stick at.

The guy in my avatar is from Get Backers. If you bore him, you'll find yourself dead.

Last edited by DeadLegato : 09-06-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Unread 09-06-2004, 07:17 PM   #8
SnoWhite
egomaniacal

GYA~ XD JECKEL! I agree with you somewhat DeadLegato~ *peace sign* EQUAL LOVIN IN BED! >< bad bad bad! but, at the same time, there are couples (both in yaoi, yuri and straight relationships) where one takes the more dominant role while the other has more of a 'housewife' role'(also known as 'the obnoxious clingy' one in straight couples) *ducks projectile objects* ya know, they kinda putter around tryin to please; it doesnt mean they are 'bottom' in bed though XD
but, if you take a look at your insanely hinted at yaoi manga(cannon) like "Eryie Querie", "Demon Diaries" or "Petshop"(ok, fangirls read into this one ><) you get the typical effeminete uke and hot many stud seme. but hey, I love both roles ;D
SnoWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 12:35 AM   #9
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLegato
Myer? Not really sure what you mean by "ha ha". I know where the framework came from, I am just saying that I personally don't like it.
The haha? XD I just kinda add those sometimes. ^^; I was just noting my own amusement about how many fangirls run around saying they're into yaoi and don't even realize what the word 'yaoi' means. Not that I meant you; just most fangirls in general.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #10
nixxer
Chibi Lord

*looks at 'I love yaoi' shirt* oh oh I know what yaoi is and I love it. hehehe, Im also a huge fan of GetBackers, which has like no yaoi really or shounen ai unless you want to count Juubei and Kadsuki(even then its not very blatant)...but thats what fanfics are for. BanxGinji
but anyway, I like both roles but I really love those sweet, almost innocent guys. I love how most of them are rather oblivious to the rest of the world, they're very childlike...ah a lot like me but yep Im definetly a uke fan
Unread 09-07-2004, 05:27 PM   #11
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

Mmmm, on one hand ukes are almost always so cute and lovable but the the other hand semes are so sexy alot of the time so I guess both it just depends on the couple I guess.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #12
Sakumo-kun
Seme'd.

*glances at quote beneath avatar* Hehe... *sweatdrop* Well...

I think the best thing in the anime world is a seme-esque uke*coughCountDcough*. One who, under other circumstances, might actually be seme... think Sakumo, from Lumen Lunae. Here's an intelligent, resourceful demon whose livelihood is in the death of others--he's an executioner who serves the Royal Family. In fact, he's the very best there is; efficient, cunning, serious, and driven to succeed. Given his description, most would peg him as being a seme.

But those who know the series know better; 'tis not so. The poor guy's actually a sweetie who just can't catch a break. He's neurotic concerning how to serve his master--Prince Kaiga, who's pretty much the biggest bastard to hit the yaoi anime/manga scene since Tonoin Kei, from Fujimi Orchestra. Kaiga's a psychopath who abuses Sakumo and uses him as a sex slave, keeping him beaten down by constantly reminding him that the fate and well-being of Sakumo's seriously troubled (yet insanely adorable) little brother, Kikuitadaki, rests in Kaiga's evil little hands. Now, Kikuitadaki has already paid for a past 'mistake' of Sakumo's, in which Sakumo directly disobeyed Kaiga's wishes... and so Kaiga responded by snatching Kikuitadaki away and performing perverse experiments on him, and eventually partially transforming him into a Juuzoku (beast). Now Sakumo wants more than anything to keep his little brother out of harm's way, and so will do anything Kaiga wants of him. And just too add a little bit more trauma to the poor guy... not only does Sakumo play uke to Kaiga, but he also has to submit the maniacal, ruthless, alarmingly seme side of Kikuitadaki's very obvious and twisted split personality.

*smile* On the other hand... a seme with a weakness for that which is cute and adorable is also awesome. For example... Eclipse, from Demon Diary. ^^

...But all in all... the seme always comes out on top, in my books. Yay for seme!
Unread 09-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #13
nixxer
Chibi Lord

wow, that sounds like a really interesting series, I now want to know more about it
Unread 09-08-2004, 01:02 AM   #14
Sakumo-kun
Seme'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixxer
wow, that sounds like a really interesting series, I now want to know more about it
*smiles* Aestheticism has a short review on it. There's also the Abyss site, which is completely dedicated to LL. There are some other sites, but few with decent info/galleries, in my opinion. For any lingering questions you may have, or any additional information you may want on the series... pm me, if you'd like. I can tell you all about Lumen Lunae (aka Gekka Kajin), from teh demon 'experiment' Ouri to the tragic demise of Sakumo and Kikuitadaki's family... and the burden of a blood murder that weighs on Sakumo's conscience. (insert maniacal laughter....here.) The whole Sakumo 'thing' isn't actually the primary story plot. It's just a lovely secondary plot piece which makes the series as a whole that much more appetizing.

But be all means, If you'd like to know more about the series, get in contact, if you're so inclined. ^_^
Unread 09-08-2004, 08:27 PM   #15
DeadLegato
Homicidal Perky Goth

Okay, Michi. It's hard to tell people's tone of voice on the internet, I wasn't sure what you meant, I am glad to know it was nothing offensive. ^_^