Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.97 average.
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

Question Raven from Teen Titans.. cloak pattern?

Hi everyone, I'm a Teen Titans junkie and I want to cosplay Raven for Halloween ^.^V . Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what pattern to use? I've seen a few "medival" cloak patterns, and I was thinking about those, but the idea of searching through countless catalogs and drawers scares me. I've spent to much time looking in vain for patterns that are near-impossible to find. So if anyone could tell me a simillar cloak pattern I could use and find @ Joaans, Michaels, or Wallmart it would be great.

Also, any general pointers could be awesome, I haven't really sewn much and I want this to be my first solo outfit. Oh, also if anyone actually knows if there's any actual designs on the broches of Raven's belt and clasp that would be awesome. Thanks again!
~Anji
xfallenangelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfallenangelx
Hi everyone, I'm a Teen Titans junkie and I want to cosplay Raven for Halloween ^.^V . Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what pattern to use? I've seen a few "medival" cloak patterns, and I was thinking about those, but the idea of searching through countless catalogs and drawers scares me. I've spent to much time looking in vain for patterns that are near-impossible to find. So if anyone could tell me a simillar cloak pattern I could use and find @ Joaans, Michaels, or Wallmart it would be great.

Also, any general pointers could be awesome, I haven't really sewn much and I want this to be my first solo outfit. Oh, also if anyone actually knows if there's any actual designs on the broches of Raven's belt and clasp that would be awesome. Thanks again!
~Anji
woohoo another teen titans junkie! Raven power! this goes for me as well. i need it to. been wanting to mkae this costume for a long time. -Aseret Yuna
Unread 09-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
Yunalesca
New spin on necrophilia

CLoaks should be out around this time of year. reccomend a simplicty or Burda pattern, because some of their cloaks have 'easy' on their labels.

My tip is attach the cloak to the otufit your' earing before you strangl yourself.
"Like what?" Cid asked. "Like I feel I'm going to lost a sanity contest with a transvestite who has an oedipus complex for an estraerrestrial? Like I just had sex with a praying mantis and I'm wondering why I' haven't been eaten? It's just one of those days and I haven't had a ciggerette all day.'
I think I just lost my fucking marbles," Cid said. " And you're playing with them."
Yunalesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunalesca
CLoaks should be out around this time of year. reccomend a simplicty or Burda pattern, because some of their cloaks have 'easy' on their labels.

My tip is attach the cloak to the otufit your' earing before you strangl yourself.
Lol I'll keep that in mind!
~Anji
Unread 09-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
FFgurl13
Don't hate cuz I newbie

Yeah more raven fans!I am going to do her as well
Unread 09-22-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
gokitefly

My 5-year-old daughter wants to be Raven for Halloween. (She's been practicing her gravel-voiced imitations.) I'm making her cape from a Simplicity pattern for little red riding hood. It's "sew easy" so you can use fusible interfacing for most of it if you want to. Easy to find. The hard part will be the belt. Good luck.
Unread 09-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #7
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

Thanks, I'll look into it... Exuse my "noviceness" but whats fusible interfacing? I know what interfacing is (the stuff in baseball caps) but why wold I need it for a cape?
~anji
Unread 09-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #8
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

To me, Raven's cloak looks similar to Fellowship cloaks.

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/...ak_pattern.htm

I think if you alter the hood to be less triangular, that could work for you . I'm planning on using this method if I ever get around to doing Raven ^_^.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
xfallenangelx
Its just Anji

Thanks for the site and the pattren. This looks like something I can do!
~Anji
Unread 10-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #10
gokitefly

sorry. i meant fusible webbing. it's stuff you iron into hems and seams to make them stick without sewing. my bad.
Unread 10-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #11
Ami
Grand Maester Mercury

wow should have posted here when I first started the project, I am almost completeley done with Raven's cloak, Jo-ann's has a McCalls halloween cloak pattern for 10.25 that is number 8937 that would be the pattern to use, the cloak requires a bit of modification to make the point for Raven's hood and making it fit a little tighter, I myself am not sure how I did it, except it was cutting and sewing until it just happened, and far as designs on the brooches, for the one on her cloak thats a definite no, because when they get a mission it lights up to let her know there is a call, the others are the same far as I can tell, with the exception of they dont light up, as for the rest any more questions post em and ill answer them, cause im a huge Raven fan and I have to go to school now.....

after school: some more thoughts now that I have a minute, for the tighting of the hood around the neck use somthing simple like a clasp or velchro ill add more info as I can think of it.....

Last edited by Ami : 10-12-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
-Raven-
Azerath Metrion Zinthos

On the subject of hooded cloakes for Raven, wire framing would help keep the shap, and it doesn't make the cloak look odd when you pull the hood down.
Azerath Metrion Zinthos
Azerath Metrion Zinthos
Azerath Metrion Zinthos
-Raven- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 01:00 AM   #13
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Heh, it's been a while since my last post in here. Anyways, I did make a Raven costume! Pics are in my gallery. However, after making the cloak I have to say that the semicircular Fellowship pattern I used did not work perfectly. It looks nice and drapes well, but it's tight in the shoulders. I'd recommend going for at least a 3/4 circle, and go a full circle if you have the money for it .

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 01:30 AM   #14
Mitchi
Resident Malkavian

I too am making a Raven costume, and for the cloak, i pretty much just took a basic cape and hood pattern (1/4 circle cape, since i'm kinda small) and modified it just a little bit, though i'm having a bit of touble geting the shape just right.

The real trick, however, is the belt and the pins. You can use left over material for boot covers for a more authentic look, and wear natural colored pantyhose.

If you need tips for the belt, I could probably help you, as i'm modifying a metal chainbelt to be able to attach the cutsom colored glass beads XD

@Tenshi

Full circle? wouldn't that look too poncho-ish?

Last edited by Mitchi : 02-16-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
AyameChan
The Cute One

First of all, I wanted to say, Teen Titans Rocks... second, I wanted to say to Tenshi that I love your Pretear cosplays. *Wants to make the fire dress at some point herself* and That your Raven is pretty effective, it's wonderful work. Good luck on all your other Ravens.
TnT - no cosplay planned... T___T
Motaku - KHR: we'll see who I have done by then...
Anime Fest Dallas - KHR: Again, we'll see who's done by then!
Nebraskon - Not sure if I'm cosplaying here or not O___o

Too many cons thanks to my artist alley tables!
AyameChan is offline   Reply With Quote