Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 02-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
gerbilfluff

Any anime/manga characters missing their left eye?

Okay, so I've tried cosplaying a few times before, but with a new convention season rapidly approaching, I've found myself with a dilemma. I've recently lost the use of my left eye to a rare, nerve-damaging medical condition. It can still technically see, but 95% of the pupil/iris is rolled off to the far corner.

When trying to find suitable characters-- ie, ones that keep their left eyes covered-- the more I've noticed: the Japanese seriously seem to have a thing for getting rid of characters' right eyes! "X"/"Tokyo Babylon," "Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle," "Saiyuki"-- all of 'em have somebody with a bad right eye. No bad-lefts in sight, though (no pun intended)...

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. Does anybody have any characters they could point me towards?

If it helps any, I was told I have the perfect build/facial structure to pull off Subaru from "Tokyo Babylon," though I wear glasses that look much like Seishiro's (from the same series).
gerbilfluff is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Pazuzu
disagrees.

If you don't mind Naruto cosplay, both Kakashi and Deidara cover their left eyes (one with a headband, the latter with a hawkeye sort of thing+bangs).
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
w00tastic
10% more Bleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbilfluff
Okay, so I've tried cosplaying a few times before, but with a new convention season rapidly approaching, I've found myself with a dilemma. I've recently lost the use of my left eye to a rare, nerve-damaging medical condition. It can still technically see, but 95% of the pupil/iris is rolled off to the far corner.

When trying to find suitable characters-- ie, ones that keep their left eyes covered-- the more I've noticed: the Japanese seriously seem to have a thing for getting rid of characters' right eyes! "X"/"Tokyo Babylon," "Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle," "Saiyuki"-- all of 'em have somebody with a bad right eye. No bad-lefts in sight, though (no pun intended)...

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. Does anybody have any characters they could point me towards?

If it helps any, I was told I have the perfect build/facial structure to pull off Subaru from "Tokyo Babylon," though I wear glasses that look much like Seishiro's (from the same series).
FINALLY somebody I can help! I have the exact same condition with my eyes (Except I was born half blind and I have no control over my left eye what so ever)

I find that when I cosplay, I either have to wear make up or get diffrent characters (Even if your male a little make up helps, it distracts from your eye and makes people focus in on other parts of your face)

However, your best bet is to go with Kakashi, where he keeps all of his eye covered you wont see your left eye at all, Other than that sorry I dont have ANY idea who else you could cosplay as.
w00tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Solaria
Ninja Pirate

Roy Mustang wears an eyepatch over his left eye in the FMA movie. The Fuhrer (King Bradley) also wears an eyepatch on his left eye in the series.

In Fruits Basket, Hatori's hair covers his left eye because it has been damaged. If you'd prefer to have the eye actually COVERED completely though (i.e. by more than hair), you could do a "damaged" version- i.e. use bandages as if you had just been injured.

There are also lots of characters that wear sunglasses and the like that you could consider, trading out the sunglasses for your real glasses for pictures or whatever.
Solaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

Two I can immediately think of are Ageha from legend of Basara (pic on http://www.dhost.info/otakumiko/gshiozawa.html ) and Roy Mustang in the Full Metal Alchemist movie ( pic on http://www.3dchips-fr.com/forum/show...threadid=89454 )
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Blackjack Gabbi
Merely a Collector

Try Pegasus from Yu-Gi-Oh. He wears his hair to cover the eye anyway, too.
Blackjack Gabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I was thinking that Iori Yagami from The King of Fighters has such a hair style that it usually covers one of his eyes. Which eye it is usually changes from art to art. XD;

http://www.kof10th.com/english/chara...x.php?num=iori

There's also Heidern and Ramon from the same series with eyepatches. It's on their right eyes, both of them, but since it's a 2D fighting series everything swaps when they're on the 2P side. So you could do an alternate color and switch everything and say you're 2P. XD I did that once with a Mai costume, haha.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Central in Rosemont, IL (May 16-18)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
natsukoarts
wanker? yes, please...

SUMERAGI subaru, onmyoji and SAKURAZUKAMORI from x/1999 (CLAMP) also.
Sakurazukamori lost his eye and then later subaru lost the same eye - long story but they are both cool characters. you can do a search on X or on subaru or sakurazuka and see photos on this site.
aUSA sanzo. trowa. jessie (poke-crack). ghetto-suzu. yuki.
natsukoarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

He might be younger than you'd like, but Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man has an injured eye, and spends part of the manga with it covered by an eyepatch.
Unread 02-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #10
Master1080
Roar of the Earth

Legato Bluesummers seems to be a good choice. You hardly see both eyes since his hair covers his left eye. Plus, he is tall and skinny and is similar in structure to Subaru of X.
Master1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #11
Danzikumaru
Walk me to the Graveyard

While his patch is technically on his right eye, Geddoe from Suikoden III is a recognizable character with depth perception problems. He's one of the True Rune Barers (particularly the True Lightening Rune)

His profile from Suikosource.com (if you haven't played the game):
Quote:
Geddoe (Tenjyu Star)
Origin: Unkown
Position: Platoon Leader
Events: Fire Bringer War, Second Fire Bringer War
After Harmonia destroyed his homeland, Geddoe gained control of the True Lightning Rune, and ran away. He fought alongside the Flame Champion in the Fire Bringer War, and helped protect the Grasslands. After the war, he wandered the lands until about forty years later when he finally joined the Harmonian Southern Frontier Defense Force. He becomes the leader of the Twelfth Unit, and participates in the Second Fire Bringer War with his team. It is during this time that he decides to stop worrying about dying and to truly live. He helps defeat Luc, and continues working with the HSFDF.
Danzikumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
scandia
Overachiever

Andre Grandier from Rose of Versailles gets his left eye injured late in the series. I do not know the extent of the physical injury- only that he cannot see with his left eye so he keeps it covered with hair and closed (he mentions once that it stings- possibly light makes it painful to open during daylight). It does not detract from his good looks at all. So it is a good choice of character IMHO.
Unread 02-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
Cora
Shine Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsukoarts
SUMERAGI subaru, onmyoji and SAKURAZUKAMORI from x/1999 (CLAMP) also.
Sakurazukamori lost his eye and then later subaru lost the same eye - long story but they are both cool characters. you can do a search on X or on subaru or sakurazuka and see photos on this site.
Subaru and Seishirou lose their *right* eyes, not left. Besides they already mentioned this in their post that neither character was an option.

I second (or third, or fourth, or wherever we're at) Kakashi, but Legato would be fun to see too. I once saw a really awesome Legato at AI one year ^^
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
SaltySlippers
ultraviolence

hum the only person i can think of is kakashi. hum.
SaltySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
Raver-Sakura
Mad flexible Raver Skillz

OMG You could do Matt from Dramacon! XD
He wears sunglasses mainly but his left eye is gone. O.O
You can be a cosplayer dressing as a cosplayer!! XD
http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=ProdReviews&func=showcontent&id=7 06
http://www.newsarama.com/tokyopop/Dr...interview3.jpg

Theres a link to what its about as well as some images of him. (He is the guy with dark sunglasses :3)

Last edited by Raver-Sakura : 02-20-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Raver-Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote