Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-13-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
Shichan
女狐

Smile Rainbow Brite

For Hallowe'en, I'm planning on going as Rainbow Brite (my friends are dressing up as Indigo, Lala Orange, and Strawberry Shortcake). I'm pretty set with the majority of the costume, but I can't decide about the wig. I want to do a yarn wig since the dolls' hair is yarn, but I can't decide what color. The actual Rainbow Brite dolls have bright orange hair (as seen here: http://www.rainbowbrite.net/collect/rb12in.jpg), but in the cartoon, her hair is more of a sandy blonde (as seen here:http://www.rainbowbrite.net/pics/rb2.gif). I can't decide which of these colors I should use. Suggestions?

夢から思い出 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Hallowe'en '12: Generic usagi schoolgirl
Shadocon '12: Generic usagi maid, Generic usagi schoolgirl, Bob-omb Buddy (maybe)
Shichan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
ParnsAngel
Elven Inside

Weird, the Rainbow Brite doll I have has yellow yarn for hair! I'd go yellow ^^
Post pics when you're done! Hooray for Rainbow Brite ^^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...un/banner6.jpg
ParnsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

I used to have all the Rainbow Brite dolls (the original ones) when I was little (still have most of them, but they're in storage...)

My doll always had a yellow-orange colored hair, more gold than yellow or orange... I'd say that'd be more accurate (and more 'sandy-colored' looking).

I was Rainbow Brite once for Halloween when I was little (I LOVED it, too.. ^^; ) and have always wanted to do it again with a better-constructed costume... I can't wait to see pics if you decide to post 'em!
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
yummivix
magically delicious

I have an original Rainbow Brite Doll and it is a light orange hair colour. buttttt in the TV show, she had a slightly lighter tone, such as yellow, but it was indeed a darker yellow, so basically either colour would be suitable.

that picture that you have of a Rainbow Brite doll has a high contrast lighting on it and it isn't THAT bright when right next to you. . .because the picture of the doll is the 8.5 inch doll, I believe. . .and it's the one that I have.

yarn hair wigs rock!!
Just don't forget to carry star sprinkles!! ^_^
Unread 09-15-2004, 03:12 AM   #5
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I had a Rainbow Brite costume when I was 5 or 6... my mom made a yarn wig. It was awesome. Go with whatever color suits you best. (i.e. if you look better in a more orange tone, go with orange. If you look better in a gold-yellow, go with that.)

(I wish she still had it. It's the one costume she sold for money, and she wishes she didn't. It was really well made... I don't know if she even had a pattern! And this was 18 years ago. OMG, that makes me feel old... )

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!

Last edited by Eleryth : 09-15-2004 at 03:32 AM.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
*Shiva*
RED SOX FTW <3

I always liked the cartoon design better, so I'd go with a more yellow-ish/golden wig. Rainbow Brite is a great idea - good luck! ^_^

2014 EVENTS: Katsucon, Anime Boston, PortCon Maine, Dragon*Con
*Shiva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

For some odd reason, it excites me that someone's cosplaying Rainbow Brite.. ^^ Perhaps it's the childhood experience factor.. XD Anyhow, don't forget the star on the cheek and the belt in general! XD

I remember being little and going to Worlds of Fun and seeing a Rainbow Brite live show.. ^^; I got to meet the actress (in the humongous suit) afterward and was scared to death for some reasons.. o.O;; Then again, I was also scared of the guy in the Garfield suit and almost pulled his tail off.. ^^; Heh... this was the same year I went as Rainbow Brite for Halloween, mind you.. ^^; Oh well, I was only 3ish.. ^^;
Unread 09-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

I'd say try to match it to the doll if you're going with yarn. I have that same doll on a stand right above my computer monitor. I bought her at a doll show...probably shouldn't have taken it out of the box but oh well.

I've never seen a Rainbow Brite cosplay. I'm going to do her once my hair grows out a bit more. For prom my hairdresser put my hair up high in the back (it's a golden color) with twists in the front and curled the hair in the ponytail into ringlets and fluffed out my bangs. When she was doen I looked in the mirror and was like 'holy crap I'm Rainbow brite'. It didn't help matters that at after prom I still had the hairdo because of the can and a half of aqua net she used and was wearing a rainbow brite shirt from hot topic. No less than 6 people made comments about how my hair looked just like hers. It was annoying but at least that means I could cosplay her well. I personally would go for a kanekalon or toyokalon type fiber wig instead of yarn, because Rainbow Brite has ringlet curls and you can't really curl yarn, but I'm anal about details so that's just me. ^_^

Last edited by Bahzi : 09-15-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2004, 09:50 AM   #9
Marisca4

Yah! I Rainbow brite. I'm dressing up as her this halloween too. I'm almost done making the costume. Still working on the boots. I decided not to wear a wig because I already have blondish hair. You will definitely have to let us know how it turns out!
Marisca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
Tia

I remember mine had bright yellow hair. I'd go with one of the amphigory wigs in power because they have orange highlights in natural light, but you won't be able to get it in time. Maybe if you cosplay her again? For now, I think yellow yarn would be fine.
Unread 10-27-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
MemoriesofYuna
The Lonely Princess

blonde all the way. RAINBOW BRITE OMG! ^^ yhea me and friends plan on doing the care bears and such awsum things like this ^^ rainbow brite OWNS -Aseret Yuna
Unread 10-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

I actually just looked at my old doll (aheh.. ^^ I've still got it and some others... found 'em the other night..!) and I was wrong about the golden color.. it actually IS _orange_! *!!* ^^; So I guess I'd go with that.. ^_^ I feel sorry for my poor doll.. I got it out and cleaned it up some, and noticed that she's been through a LOT over the years... ^^; It's from the 1983 Hallmark collection of Rainbow Brite, so I don't know if that makes any difference.. ^^ Perhaps I'll start collecting the new stuff now.. ^_^;
Unread 10-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #13
Hitomi chan
Tía Pelucas

I vote for the yellowish orange (or orangish yellow? whatever XD), there are many different yarn colors, you can find the right one if you seek with patience

Envy is a beautiful feeling, as long as I provoque it. I am totally... Hitomi.

Ta-lila boku wa odori tsuzukeru
furitsuzuku giniro no ame no shita
Ta-lila kono karada kuchihatete mo
kimi ni kono inochi ga todoku no nara
Hitomi chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2004, 12:35 AM   #14
ParnsAngel
Elven Inside

I just used my blonde hair for mine, the dolls and cartoons differ so whatever looks best ^^
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...un/banner6.jpg
ParnsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote