Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
oceane1993

Which cosplay is the one you will never try?

Hello, guys. It has been long time since I was out of this forum. I have been busy with studies and making my cosplay costume. Today a question popped into my mind: what cosplay will you never try? And why?
oceane1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Miss Mace

This feels like a trick question. I mean there's costumes I feel I should put off based on my current skill level (and body shape), it doesn't mean I won't. And even if I say, 'well, only chars from series I'm interested in', that doesn't help either, because interests change, and I've heard tales from cosplayers doing chars they weren't really familiar with for other's sake. And I'm pretty sure there's people I'd be willing to do that for.
- Planned/Sketched: Mario, Green Lantern, 6th Doctor
- Stalled/Abandon: 7
- Possible/Dreams: Velma, Janine, Ryuk, Sardonyx, Amethyst, Penny Dreadful, Sinestro Corps, Discord, Pinkie Pie, Dalek, Loki, 7, Ace Trainer, Hex Maniac, Team Aqua, Professor Ivy, Raven, Bumblebee, Ms Marvel, Donatello
Miss Mace is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #3
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Schoolgirl outfits. Not fancy enough and I'm DEFINITELY not moe enough for that shit.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
xRenascent
That crazy chick

I can't remember what it's called, but it's when Ryuko and Satsuki Life Fiber Synchronize with Senketsu and Junketsu. I love the outfits, but that's way too much skin for my liking.

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Armour suits that aren't leather (since leather is more bendy and forgiving). I'm not a good/experienced armour maker, they take up WAY too much space and they're so damned uncomfortable. And for the forseeable future, skimpy cosplays. Not only do I not have the skinny model body to feel confident enough, I've NEVER been a revealing dresser and have always worn more modest clothes (I'll bare my arms, chest without boobs- not like I can get cleavage anyway with how weird my boobs are), sometimes my back, and my legs to a couple inches above my knees. Rarely anything more.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

I'm fine with a lot of things, including showing a lot of skin. But there's one thing I won't do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Schoolgirl outfits. Not fancy enough and I'm DEFINITELY not moe enough for that shit.
This.

Too plain. I'm not nearly moe enough. I don't like to like all that moebait BS anyway (it's fine for others, but really not my taste -- I'm highly allergic to moe), so it just doesn't appeal to me. Really, anything super moe isn't my thing (you'll never catch me cosplaying from, say, Love Live), but schoolgirls especially. Though I've somehow gotten really into an anime with schoolgirls, and I've never been super into an anime with schoolgirls and schoolgirl uniforms before. Thankfully, there's plenty there to cosplay that isn't a seifuku.

Plus, I look my age, and it's been about 10 years since I would be the age of these characters. Nope.

I'm actually doing a boy's school uniform for Fanime, so it'll be weird that I'm doing my first school uniform, but it's not a seifuku, so thank God.

I'm also not personally comfortable cosplaying outside of my race (when the character is dark-skinned), so that's something I don't do. I'd love to cosplay Sardonyx from Steven Universe, but she's clearly meant to be black, and I'm not, so I wouldn't personally feel good about it, even if I didn't paint my skin or painted myself clearly orange and not person-colored. I'll also never cosplay my favorite Utena character for the same reason. I'm fine with anime characters who are racially ambiguous (natural blonde hair and blue eyes but ostensibly "Japanese" type things), but when it's obvious that I'm white and the character isn't, that's when I'd be uncomfortable.

I also don't tend to do male characters because I know I won't feel good about it if I can't pass 100%, which I know I can't.

I don't see myself ever doing a mascot costume or fursuit.

I'm not busty enough for titty monster characters, and even if I made the costume really well, it wouldn't look right on me. I don't tend to like series with characters with overly large breasts under very revealing necklines, though, so this isn't an issue.

Otherwise, I can't think of any really specific cosplays that I'll never try, but I certainly have a few types that I don't think I'll ever try.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Cosplays with really high heels or pumps!!! When you're walking around a con for 8 hours, I imagine that those heels start to feel like self-inflicted torture devices, forcing you to gradually limp more and more as the day goes on. With so much cool stuff to do at a con, the last thing I'd want to be stuck doing is internally screaming at myself for wearing high heels. Or, worse, taking them off and looking like a doofus. XD

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Saturday, May 28 as Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Sunday, June 28 as Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Sunday, April 12 as Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
loz64

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseandzippin View Post
Cosplays with really high heels or pumps!!! When you're walking around a con for 8 hours, I imagine that those heels start to feel like self-inflicted torture devices, forcing you to gradually limp more and more as the day goes on. With so much cool stuff to do at a con, the last thing I'd want to be stuck doing is internally screaming at myself for wearing high heels. Or, worse, taking them off and looking like a doofus. XD
This was me at AwesomeCon 2015. I wore 5-inch stilettos with pointed toes and walked about 2 miles in the convention center that day. As a result, I pinched nerves in my feet and could not properly feel my piggies for weeks after subjecting them to that torture. Would I do it again? Yes, but only in moderation!

I would never try a "sexy" costume that shows too much skin. "Cute" is more my style anyway!

I also have a little store where I'm offering a few resin cast pieces for cosplay: http://mythrilarts.storenvy.com/
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Syon
leads the crusade

- No school girl outfits. Too plain and I don't like this type of anime.

- No fursuits. I'm not got at dealing with heat.

- No male characters.
Unread 01-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
ghosgreen

Hmmm that's a interesting question. Well one thing that has been pretty consistent is anything with skin tight suits like power rangers or super hero stuff. I'm pretty self conscious about my body and it makes me uncomfortable. I feel uncomfortable how I look just wearing armor and that can cover up a lot more. It's just not my thing. Plus power ranger helmets.....screen accurate ones that everyone has...those things are damn small. I mean suffocating, you better not be claustrophobic type of deals. I've seen and even attempted to wear my friends helmets that dream died pretty quickly ha ha ha ha. I couldn't even fit my head in the helmet. So that's the other reason I won't touch power ranger stuff. I'll make stuff just for the display case or for friends but that's it.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

-Crossplay. Nothing against it, but it's not for me personally.
-Anything involving extensive armor. Looks so dreadfully uncomfortable to wear, and I don't know if I'll ever have to skills or tools to make it.
-Anything involving a fursuit. Looks even more uncomfortable and harder to make(/more expensive to buy or commission) than armor, and I like to at least sometimes have my face visible.
-Anyone who constantly wears a helmet/mask. It's fine if they were one some of the time, but I'd like to be able to take it off and still be in character.
-Anyone whose costume I just don't like. The number one most important factor in whether I'll cosplay someone or not is simply whether I like how their costume looks. No matter how much I like a character/series, if I don't think I'll enjoy/look good wearing their outfit, I won't invest the time, money, and energy into making it.
-Any really muscular guy who is mostly or completely topless. I'm pretty much a skeleton and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon, and I want to portray characters as accurately as possible. Luckily those kinds of costumes generally don't appeal much to me anyway.
Done: Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Eleventh Doctor, Captain Levi (SnK), Captain Jack Harkness, Vash the Stampede, The Kid (Bastion), Booker Dewitt, Arno Dorian, Jaime Lannister (S01-04), Connor Kenway, Mad Max, Shay Cormac, Jaime Lannister (S04-05), Otso Berg, Jacob Frye

In progress: Jacob Frye 2.0

Future/considering: Snake/Big Boss (MGS3), Spike Spiegel, Mako (LoK), Poe Dameron, Arno Dorian 2.0, Aldo Raine, General Hux
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRenascent View Post
I can't remember what it's called, but it's when Ryuko and Satsuki Life Fiber Synchronize with Senketsu and Junketsu. I love the outfits, but that's way too much skin for my liking.
This. As much as I LOVE Kill La Kill, I'd probably never cosplay either version of Ryuko or Satsuki. I don't mind showing skin myself, but there's a line maybe not to cross, and for me that's where I draw the line.

Along the lines of the schoolgirl outfits, I agree on the grounds that they aren't really showy or flashy. I'd probably never cosplay those unless the character was super-duper recognizable (like Kona from Lucky Star and even then I'd want to cosplay her cheerleader uniform first. I also thought about cosplaying Mako from Kill La Kill at one point but it would've been her fightclub outfit, not her no-star uniform).

I probably won't ever crossplay (although there is ONE crossplay I might like to do before I'm too old but that's another story) simply because I don't have the right build to pass as a guy. While I can certainly bind my chest down, my hips and thighs are too curvy for me to do a convincing crossplay.

Fursuiting is also a no for me, but kudos to those who do it!

New Cosplays for 2016:
Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online/Alfheim Online): 25%
Fem!Inumuta (Kill La Kill): 25%

Cosplays that'll be nice to work on this year:
Moulin Rouge!Fem!France (Hetalia)
Fem!Decim (Death Parade)

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

Last edited by AlaizabelCray : 01-31-2016 at 03:21 PM.
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I used to have a list of shit I wouldn't try but I feel the older I get the more I completely throw it out the window. I was about to agree strongly with the "no schoolgirl outfits" before I remembered I did one (albeit modified to be less "common"). A few I said I wouldn't do and then proved myself a liar:

- schoolgirl (see above)
- character with a lot of cleavage
- character I didn't really like (ended up having a blast)
- armor
- Rule 63 (used to be weird about this one, no idea why)

So I don't really know if I have any hard "I won't do this" rules left. I'd like to say nay to fursuits because I don't think I have the patience to make one and I'd die of heat. And I'll echo fabrickind on the outside my skin tone thing. Yeah. That'll do.
My handmade fandom plush

Next event: Fanime (possibly Kraken Con and other small local things?)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

My list of things I will not cosplay:

-Anything that will require $3000 +
-School girls
-Casual cosplay (I love standing out at a convention quite honestly)
-Characters like Deadpool, where people just see so much it seems like they expect you to be in character to get any attention.
-Characters that are literally bones or a Spine.
-Holiday Matsuri 2016
Cosplay List:
-Joker (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Klaus (Story of Seasons)
-Madoka (Madoka Magica)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseandzippin View Post
I'm pretty good at walking in heels but for real if I need to wear heels for a con, I bring a pair of slip on shoes with me and just carry the heels around until someone asks for a picture and then I just change. It's much easier to walk around in slip on vans all day than six inch pumps.

I'd probably never crossplay. Technically I attempted once and I was not comfortable so I changed. I just don't think I pull off cosplaying guys that well.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote