Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
TorgHacker

Unhappy When that con you were planning to go to gets cancelled.

Drat.

Northwest Fan Fest isn't going to happen this year. Unfortunately that was the one con this summer that was

a) close
b) had other things I was interested in

Gothic Lolita Doll

Future Cosplay Planned

Scarlett o'Hara prayer dress
Rainbow Dash Gala Gown
Pauline from Champagne Charlie (1989)
TorgHacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
TitanSlayer000
Eh

I was kind of expecting this post to be about Quinnicon. I only just heard of it because everyone's talking about the cancellation, but it sounds like it's going to be the next big deal after Dashcon. Cancelling 5 days before the con is really inconsiderate imo.

Cancellations suck, though. Once there was a con I went to that had their date for the next year in their con book, then after the con they said they were discontinuing it and it would be their last year, for at least awhile. It wasn't that good but I thought it had potential at least.
Unread 04-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Con-G closed after 2014. I still miss it. Likewise, Frostcon, also one I liked, is on a hiatus with no info since last years when they'll be back.
....but my biggest worry now is Atomic Lollipop. Its hands down my favorite and its usually mid-July. But? End of April and they don't even have a DATE for the next con and barely any word from the organizers. Last year, the date was up in November and tickets on sale by March....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

Out of curiosity for someone that has not had this happen to them yet, what reasons might a convention have for cancelling their event?

It was kind of funny to hear so many con-goers were concerned this last weekend that Anime Detour might cancel their event last minute because of Prince's death.

CONvergence 2017:
NCR Ranger [98% Complete]
Cat Splicer [100% Complete]

Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Chibi Fest, I was planning to take my Izumi genderbend to this year's event, but I was told that from now on the organizers won't do it nor Hero Fest anymore so I sadly had to discard the idea.

"Pero no importa, porque me tomo una Agaromba... Y todo me chupa un huevo!"

-Fernandito-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
KittytheSheGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Frankly, the con scene in Vancouver right now is a total mess. I can't say I'm surprised at all that it was cancelled :/

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
KittytheSheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Penlowe

I have a good friend very connected in the convention world. She knows a ton of voice actors and frequently works as a talent handler. We met during SanJapan three years ago and had a great day. Her friends invited me along when dinner time rolled around. I had the experience of listening to them talk shop throughout the meal. SanJapan that year had 50,000 in attendance.

Cons are VERY difficult to make profitable. Frankly all small city cons are perpetually at risk of folding. There is very much a 'con bubble' happening the last few years and only so many people to support them all. Going to a big con and standing in line for hours to pay $90 for Stan Lee's autograph might seem expensive to you, but he is being paid by the con to sit there for a contracted amount of time and do that signing as well. Not to mention paying security, hotel, handlers, green room for all the stars.... it adds up fast. AND all that money has to be shelled out before a single ticket sells.

So, if you really love your small local con, organize a large group to buy tickets early. Otherwise always keep a big one in your sites.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
WCMorpheus

There are a great many cons in CA, and I've never heard of any of them being cancelled, although I read somewhere (possibly on this board) that a con promoter used some shady, questionable tactics to get people to attend his con, so most of the talent started cancelling as a result. Not sure where that show is or what happened to it.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/westcoastmorpheus
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
I have a good friend very connected in the convention world. She knows a ton of voice actors and frequently works as a talent handler. We met during SanJapan three years ago and had a great day. Her friends invited me along when dinner time rolled around. I had the experience of listening to them talk shop throughout the meal. SanJapan that year had 50,000 in attendance.

Cons are VERY difficult to make profitable. Frankly all small city cons are perpetually at risk of folding. There is very much a 'con bubble' happening the last few years and only so many people to support them all. Going to a big con and standing in line for hours to pay $90 for Stan Lee's autograph might seem expensive to you, but he is being paid by the con to sit there for a contracted amount of time and do that signing as well. Not to mention paying security, hotel, handlers, green room for all the stars.... it adds up fast. AND all that money has to be shelled out before a single ticket sells.

So, if you really love your small local con, organize a large group to buy tickets early. Otherwise always keep a big one in your sites.

I'm honestly impressed that some of the smaller cons in Colorado HAVEN'T been cancelled yet or haven't totally gone bottoms up for the very reasons you mentioned.

New Cosplays for 2016:
Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online/Alfheim Online): 30%
Fem!Inumuta (Kill La Kill): 50%

Cosplays that'll be nice to work on this year:
Moulin Rouge!Fem!France (Hetalia)
Fem!Decim (Death Parade)

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

hWell, now it's happened to Atomic Lollipop after all. Not only did they outgrow the venue (and even with a new one it WON'T be the same, half of what made the con so awesome was the fact that it was in the science center!), they've have a lot of trouble finding a big enough venue that allows for burlesque and fire shows, petting zoo animals and 10K people. At least they haven't outright ended, but now there's no con this year, it was also supposed to be my last time attending cheaply before I moved, and now I also have absolute crap-all to do now for this summer. Regardless, I still want to cry at it not being on this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 04-28-2016 at 11:44 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
ZanyGeek

I had one cancel for a blizzard. Heroes and Villains in January. Although, they did open the last day.

I heard of another getting cancelled because the organizers had a baby and couldn't manage all the show details and the new rugrat at the same time.

It's a lot of work, a lot of details, and a lot of money. If one cog comes loose in those gears, the entire thing can fall apart.

Luckily, I live between Baltimore, New York, and Philadelphia. It seems like I can go to two or three cons a month, if I wanted to.
ZanyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #12
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

NatsuCon cancelled one year. They claimed it was due to scheduling problems, but I honestly think it was due to the negative reception the con got the year before.

Another local con that year, Kawa Kon, was like 3/4 SuperWhoLock-related instead of anime-related, and it got a lot of complaints for that. So Natsu decided to do the opposite and ban all non-anime panels/events. Unfortuantely, they hardly had any panels or events, so it was really boring and tons of people complained.

Vault Boy -- Fallout
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Daenerys Targaryen (Dothraki outfit): GoT
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com