Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Question Lolita Coat Fabric

Hi all!

I'm fairly new to making costumes from scratch, so my eye isn't very well trained to fabrics yet. I unfortunately only have very limited, small-town shops from which to buy my fabric, so I rely mostly on the internet. I've recently started a costume with Lolita style elements, and the coat has me entirely stumped. The look I'm going for with my desired fabric is like the black coat on the left on this site: http://www.my-lolita-dress.com/rose-...-colors-inf014

My problem comes now from the listing of 'velvet' as the material. I don't want it to be the thin, shiny kind of velvet. I'd like it to be something that won't blind people at conventions and will make a nice-looking coat. Unfortunately, there's so much choice, including upholstery fabric! Would that be too heavy, or is it just what I need? I've been going around in circles on google and I'd love it if a more seasoned cosplayer would be able to give me some advice. Thanks so much! xx
Currently working on: Rinoa Heartilly - Final Fantasy VIII, Amy Sorel - SoulCalibur IV
Search CatEyeCosplay on Facebook and Deviantart if you want to follow me!

Looking for awesome cosplay friends to chat with! Yay! <33
CatEyeCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
I'm not the most professional on the topic but here's my two cents.
Velvet comes in many different forms, varying in thickness, stretch and appearance.
Some of them shine, some of them don't. Coats usually call for thicker, sturdier fabrics, but upholstery fabric is a bit much. Situationally it can be good but I dont personally think you need it for a coat. Cotton velvet seems to have the most mild shine imho., for a preview just google cotton velvet coat. (make sure you get one that doesnt stretch)

Just think, what do you look for in a coat; thickness, rigidness to hold its shape and able to be worn with comfort.
This doesn't mean you have to limit yourself to velvet, there are all kinds of fabrics that can suffice that criteria, just research some suiting fabrics. And also consider velvet is harder to maintain; stuff like it cannot be ironed, it has to be steamed and does call for different equipment to work with. (http://www.sewmamasew.com/2015/02/ty...w-with-velvet/)
Whatever you choose to work with, good luck!
Tempani9182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:49 AM   #3
Velvet is one of the things I tend to avoid buying online because it's virtually impossible to judge the quality from just a screen shot. What I would do is see if the company you are looking at offers swatches. Most do for either free or a minimal fee. Just order swatches of the fabrics you are considering, choose the one you like, and order the yardage you need.
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote